MS3 wheel size and offset? And question about wheel?

whitey4311

:
MS3 GT Black Mica w/nav
MS3 wheel ? and lug nut ?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I am looking at these and an pretty sure they are the right size but I dont know about the offset.

These are good wheels right?

I think they look a bit better then the Rays MazdaSpeed version and are cheaper since they arent badged by MazdaSpeed. Being that they are Rays I assume they still are as good quality but I dont know what they weigh.

Also will these lug nuts work with that wheel and our cars?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
there is a member selling those wheels on the forum check the forsale section man!

I did he has them listed at the same price used as I can get on ebay for new so he should lower the price.

I still need to know about the size of the offset and wheel for the stock MS3 rim?

Also what about those lug nuts I linked to?

whitey4311 said:
I did he has them listed at the same price used as I can get on ebay for new so he should lower the price.

I still need to know about the size of the offset and wheel for the stock MS3 rim?

Also what about those lug nuts I linked to?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the stock wheel is 18 x 7 with an offset of 52.5mm

whitey4311 said:
]
I am looking at these and an pretty sure they are the right size but I dont know about the offset.
These are good wheels right?

I think they look a bit better then the Rays MazdaSpeed version and are cheaper since they arent badged by MazdaSpeed. Being that they are Rays I assume they still are as good quality but I dont know what they weigh.

they are a +45 offset. It says so next to the big picture of them. That's a bit shallower than OEM (+52.5mm,) but would work for you. I'd try to stick w/at least a +48 though.

They also say that they are "cast" wheels, which could mean a coupla' things. If I'm not mistaken the MS wheels are forged. That means they can be, but are no necessarily, lighter. That's a good thing, and would most certainly be stronger. Forging is what costs the big bucks.

Oh, and somewhere I read that the stock MS3 wheels weigh in @ 23-24 lbs. That's as much as an RX8 wheel!! If you want better handling, I'd go for lighter.

I wrote the seller for you to ask if they knew or could find out their weight. I'll let you know when/if I get an answer.

Now thats the info I needed thanks man!

So that rim at a 45 offset would make the wheel base more narrow?

If so that not what I want to do and would lean toward the MS wheels based on what you are telling me.

You have any good suggestions to a nice wheel in the low 1k price range? I like the MS wheel but if I am paying mostly for the MS name then I dont want to do that.

whitey4311 said:
Now that's the info I needed thanks man!

So that rim at a 45 offset would make the wheel base more narrow?

If so that not what I want to do and would lean toward the MS wheels based on what you are telling me.

You have any good suggestions to a nice wheel in the low 1k price range? I like the MS wheel but if I am paying mostly for the MS name then I don't want to do that.

Nope. Wrong way. 45's will actually increase the track by 7.5mm/side, or 15mm total. That won't do anything FOR the handling. Many do it, and even lower. I've seen ppl put +40's (12.5mm/25mm total) on their 3's, but I wouldn't. It throws off the steering geometry of the vehicle, and that cannot be compensated for.
Like I said, if I wuz U, I'd try to get something a little closer to 52.5, and your steering, bearings and handling will thank you for it. I've always been told that 5mm +/- was a safe maximum.

Suggestions? I am not in that price category, so I can't really say. Just look around. Ask questions. Do you NEED forged wheels? Probably not. So why pay the price whether forged or not. I'd have a hard time paying this much for cast wheels though. Even LP cast, or shot peened wheels can had for less.

Ok thanks guys for helping me out on that.

So that wheel I linked to isnt such a good buy for the price?

I agree that I may not need any particular wheel but I am glad you are educating me on what options there are out there. I dont want to pay big money for something that looks cool if it isnt made well enough to reflect the big price.

So then are the upgraded MS wheels the same size as stock just lighter and stronger?

For the price of those MS wheels I dont want to pay for the name if there is something better looking and cheaper.

PS the bolt pattern is 5x114.3 right and the width is 7.5?

Last edited:
QUOTE=whitey4311:
Ok thanks guys for helping me out on that.
That's what these forums are all about aren't they? You're welcome in either case.

So that wheel I linked to isnt such a good buy for the price?
'Depends how badly you want them, and their name. You might ask the seller, or do some online research, to see if these wheels are gravity cast, low-pressure cast or cast and peened? Gravity is the cheapest, most common type and usally affords a heavier wheel to achieve the strength needed. From there, the prices go up w/the casting type, and lower weights.

I agree that I may not need any particular wheel but I am glad you are educating me on what options there are out there. I dont want to pay big money for something that looks cool if it isn't made well enough to reflect the big price.
Now you're catchin' on, Bud!!

So then are the upgraded MS wheels the same size as stock just lighter and stronger?
'Don't know which ones you're looking at? Link, please?
I know they offer a forged wheel and a pressure cast wheel, but that there may be others. I think it's the cast wheel they offer that I like.

For the price of those MS wheels I dont want to pay for the name if there is something better looking and cheaper.
They ain't cheap, that's for sure. Nothing from Mazda is a bargin. Again, you may be paying more for the name than the quality, though I'm sure they are good quality.

PS the bolt pattern is 5x114.3 right and the width is 7.5?
Right!
BTW: No matter what I, or someone else says, it would be wise for you to do a little research before commiting to anything. Remember, these forums are mostly made up of opinions. But you seem to catch on fast, so I'm sure that won't be a problem.

MS3 stock wheels are 18X7, 52.5mm offset, bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and weight about 23lbs.

i personnaly bought kazera kz-v for track weels. Since i run in stock i had to use the same size. Let me tell you that there is not a lot of choice in that size. In fact that was the only wheel i found in those specs... I had to change wheel stud for longer ones to use those wheels.

Hmmm. I thought I'd read they were 7.5's too.
Anyway, the extra half inch width shouldn't make a difference in his case, for the street, unless he's running autoX, SC. In fact, if you wanted to move up a tire size or two, you'd want that extra .5".

they are 7.5 from what I have read. But that Kazera wheel is closest to the offset that you are telling me to stay with and it still suggests the same tire size so that may be my best bet. The price looks good too, thanks.

Hey bbrich57 you are the man and I appreciate the info. The MS wheels I was looking at are these http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_22_160_252&products_id=935

but they are too much money and they dont make me druel or anything for that price.

For those rims I linked to I think they are over priced for what they are and I can seem to find the weight but I recall reading about them before and it was nearly the same as stock at about 23lbs.

So it looks like that Kazera is the best all around rim for the price and for what it is.

Its hard to find rims with 50+ offset so the 48 is bad to have for the bearings?
Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
QUOTE=whitey4311
They are 7.5 from what I have read. But that Kazera wheel is closest to the offset that you are telling me to stay with and it still suggests the same tire size so that may be my best bet. The price looks good too, thanks.
I'm not disputing what mcb said, because I'm not sure myself. He probably knows better than I do. The stock tires on the MS3 are a 215's which I fit on my 6.5" wheels comfortably. He might very well be right. I'm sure there's a thread on here that gives that info too. you might look under this section for a "size" thread. I know there's one for the std 3's.
But again, the width is less of a concern (unless you plan to race the car) than the weight and especially (imo) the off-set.

Hey bbrich57 you are the man and I appreciate the info. The MS wheels I was looking at are these http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/product_info.php?cPath=281_22_160_252&products_id=935
Yeah! Those are nice!! They are forged and the weight is slightly <17 lbs. too... a nice drop in unsprung weight for and 18"er. They look much like the ones I had/have picked out for my car too.
$450 ea. ain't too bad considering.

but they are too much money and they don't make me dreul or anything for that price.

For those rims I linked to I think they are over priced for what they are and I can seem to find the weight but I recall reading about them before and it was nearly the same as stock at about 23lbs.
Proto Garage states < 17 lbs. in this link/ad. And they are forged. AND they are designed for the car, re: correct offset. Another advantage seems to be that they will use stock lugs... that's how it "looks"" anyway. No additional hardware to buy and keep track of. What more do you want?

So it looks like that Kazera is the best all around rim for the price and for what it is.

Its hard to find rims with 50+ offset so the 48 is bad to have for the bearings?
Any other suggestions?
Yup, it sure is. A 48 should be OK though, and much easier to find. Not TOO far off the mark. I'm sure that's what I'll end up w/when the time comes, unless I get the Kosei's.
As I've said, I know of some that are running 40's, but that's excessive imo.

Back