Mild "trailer-hitching" sensation in Drive 6

I have a 08 GT AWD with 114k on it and I recently (3 weeks ago) replaced my spark plugs. They were completely worn out as they were the original ones. I replaced them with factory motorcraft spark plugs from the dealer. i noticed the hesitation prior to the replacement and figured that the replacement of the spark plugs was needed. As of a few days ago I noticed the problem has come back and happening more often. I am hoping it is not a coil pack that is damaged because that was a "JOB" changing the spark plugs. Especially for someone doing it for the first time. I have to admit that I didn't inspect each individual coil pack prior to re-installation so I will have to wait for a warm day again to take the engine partially apart.

Damn coils!!

No issues! Ever since ignition coil was changed, its been a smooth ride. Have driven over 5K now

Thanks for the update rsbagwell. I did try removing and cleaning the throttle valve, which did help a little, but the hesitation was still there. Having switched to manual mode much more than normally due to your observation, the hesitation actually did still occur, but MUCH less frequently. So based on your new feedback, and others in this chain, I suppose it is possible a sparkplug or a coil is going bad. Also, though I did say I already did the sparck plug, coil and pcm melt down replacement (happened after 80k.. $1800) due to the cost, I only did 3 of the six coils. (one bank) Hindsight being 20/20, I should have replaced all six, just as I did with the plugs, but that was befor I knew there was an issue with the Mazda cx9 coils. The service department wanted too, of cource $$$, but did not tell me about the known coil issue. Well it looks like its back to the dealer, as I don't think this is a do it yourself job. Thanks again for the responce and update. Cheers!!

rsbagwell- Any new updates? I have the exact problem, .." Now if I accelerate gently on a mild hill, I get to see hesitation/knocking/jerk as if vehicle is confused as to which gear is should be at. However, if I accelerate bit aggressively, this does not happen. I also see this issue at gear 4 and 5 as well but not so frequently. No codes or misfire recorded on Mod 6 report. In manual mode, this issue disappears. " and loved your suggestion to go to manual mode, as that worked. I already had the sparkplug, fried coil and PCM problem corrected last year, which were simular symptoms but worse. So this torque converter, or trailer-hitching problem possibility seems to be the issue now, as I never get the histation in manual mode and agree it couldn't be sparkplug or something else engine wize. Please provide and update if the problem has returned.

Anybody else? Is my torque converter (TC) on its way to being completely shot? Will shifting to manual mode in 6th gear work for a long time... or am I doomed to have to replace the whole transmission? BTW changed/flushed trans fluid at 60K and 133k. Thanks all.

Hello, I'm new here, please excuse my English.

I have the same problem. Auto 4 and 5 speed starts to vibrate. The fault does not appear on pc. The vibration of the vehicle are mainly at 4 speeds when the lock-up lock on the plane and light gas. In manual mode, this issue disappears.
The fault was the torque converter TC, burned discs on LOCK-UP and the curved seating area. Our assembly and disassembly, refurbishment converter 440.- EU

Everything is okay now.

Last edited:
I've been having this issue with my 2008 AWD 85k miles.. Usually in 5th or 6th gear on the freeway, low RPM, slight uphill. It'll "fish bite" usually only once, sometimes 2 or 3 times when accelerating.

I took it into the local dealer, they couldn't reproduce the problem but upon inspection noticed a "leaking" subframe bushing that could be causing the issue.

They want to replace the part TE712880X, which seems overkill and very expensive ($2,400 repair estimate).

I'm out of warranty so I'm not going to do it. I think I'll try the plugs and see if that helps.

Updating an old thread: I brought my car into another dealer (Dublin Mazda in N. California) and they took it for a test drive with some kind of monitor attached. It turns out that 2 of my ignition coils had gone bad. They replaced all 6 coils, instantly fixed the problem. Not a cheap repair, but glad to figure out the cause.

Some dealers are better than others.

Back