Wheel bearing retainer clip missing?

2xsess

:
'02 P5
Decided that my car was pulling to the left due to a bad wheel bearing. Friday night took my car to a friends house and we removed the hub. Saturday morning I must have called 10-15 places to find someone to press out old bearing and install new bear that I bought at NAPA. Apparently very few shops in the High Point area actually presses bearings since the majority of them all referred me to one machine shop who of course isn't open on weekend. Any way, the Firestone had the press but wouldn't do it because I wasn't paying them to do the whole job, they guy actually laughed at us. I ended up taking to the Mazda dealer. The guy told me $80!! I thought that was high since I've mostly read on here that it's like $20-40.
Anyway, I need my car so I swallowed hard and said go ahead. He told me that I'd have to leave it but that they'd have it done that day. I gave him my number and went on my way. A few hours later he calls me to tell me that once the took the hub apart they found that the Snap ring that holds the bearing in place wasn't there. I was kind of shocked since I know the bearings haven't ever been messed with. I told him ok, put one on. He then informed me that they didn't have one and that he'd have to order it on Monday, get it Tuesday and then I could some pick my part up. :mad:

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or if my car was just made on a Friday and the guy who's job it was to put the snap ring in was sleepy. I just find it odd that the bearing stayed in place for 85K.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back