CSP '90 with '99 Engine - Dyno Update

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
I finally got around to taking the CSP car to the dyno tonight to see the fruits of my labor. Dyno results aside, the car is much more powerful than with the original 1.6 and is so much more fun to drive. Below is a breakdown of a few pulls over time on the same dyno:

1.6L with OE ECU (2/18/07):
97 RWHP / 89.7 ft/lb

1.6L with MegaSquirt ECU (2/18/07):
104.9 RWHP / 93.3 ft/lb

1.8L with MegaSquirt ECU (5/31/07):
129.9 RWHP / 116.3 ft/lb

I'm thrilled! FWIW, the '99 engine is rated at 140 BHP / 119 ft/lb from Mazda. Even with 15% leakdown on the #4 cylinder, I'm happy with the results.

I went back and looked at the MS logs tonight and i'm a bit lean (13.5:1 on the top), but that's the worst of the range. I also moved the opening point of the VICS up from 4500 to 5500 RPM on my last pull (as seen on the below chart). There was a significant power dip between that range that is now non-existant after the adjustment. I'll fatten up the top and play with the spark tables a bit. Other than that, I'll keep it as it is, at least until I drop some coin for a few hours of tuning on the dyno.

Attachments

• dyno 3-31-07.JPG
    dyno 3-31-07.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Are you doing all your own programming on the Megasquirt or did you find some downloadable maps on somewhere like Miata.net?

Scott said:
Are you doing all your own programming on the Megasquirt or did you find some downloadable maps on somewhere like Miata.net?

I have performed 100% of the tuning and configuration myself. Granted, there has been plenty of research behind it, but all of the settings have been of my on determination.

Very nice. I wanted to get started into that stuff myself, but don't have a good car with which to practice.

Kudos to you!

You planning on doing the GRM $2008 challenge? I might have something lined up for it...

Scott said:
Very nice. I wanted to get started into that stuff myself, but don't have a good car with which to practice.

Kudos to you!

You planning on doing the GRM $2008 challenge? I might have something lined up for it...

I'll be in attendence for the $2007 and $2008 challenges! :) I'll be starting a thread soon on the updates with the Miata challenger. There's lots of cool stuff happening to it....third time's a charm. (wrc)

just a question... w/the motor swap doesn't that move you into SM2 from CSP? (Tho I think w/the 2007 scca rulebook NA miatas are in DSP last i checked)

Update / backdate rule in SP. If he put a motor that was never available on a miata it would be SP, but the 1.6 and 1.8 miatas are on the same line of the rulebook for SP, so the swap's legal

aMaff said:
Update / backdate rule in SP. If he put a motor that was never available on a miata it would be SP, but the 1.6 and 1.8 miatas are on the same line of the rulebook for SP, so the swap's legal

Muff is correct.

R2s99zoom said:
just a question... w/the motor swap doesn't that move you into SM2 from CSP? (Tho I think w/the 2007 scca rulebook NA miatas are in DSP last i checked)

Spec Miatas fall into DSP where as the rest fall into CSP.

Hmm... I stand corrected as far as update/backdate rule...

however, from the scca website, w/the 2007 rulebook... we're both corrected. As of 2007, looks like 1990-1997 miatas, be they 1.6 or 1.8 are actually E classed. (which makes a bit of sense... since 99+ are excluded from sts2 competition, yet pre 99 are legal... gotta be some difference...)

http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/stockcategoryclassificationsbymake.pdf

unless I'm missing something in assuming that the same classes apply for both stock and street-prepared (I'm kinda new to figuring the classes)

R2s99zoom said:
Hmm... I stand corrected as far as update/backdate rule...

however, from the scca website, w/the 2007 rulebook... we're both corrected. As of 2007, looks like 1990-1997 miatas, be they 1.6 or 1.8 are actually E classed. (which makes a bit of sense... since 99+ are excluded from sts2 competition, yet pre 99 are legal... gotta be some difference...)

http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/stockcategoryclassificationsbymake.pdf

unless I'm missing something in assuming that the same classes apply for both stock and street-prepared (I'm kinda new to figuring the classes)

That listing is for "stock" classification which is a different rule set for the "street prepared" classification.

A few years ago, the 91-93 Miatas were classified in E-stock whereas the 94+ Miatas were classed in C-stock. That was changed to include all 91-97 Miatas into E-stock, one of the reasons I decided to move to CSP. There is no way a 91-93 Miata is competitive in ES.

Street prepared classes can be viewed as a step up from stock if you excluded street tire classes such as STS, STS2, STX, STU, etc.

yea... i actually found that out today, and felt really dumb for having posted that in this thread, ehe....

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/2007SoloRules.pdf

page 184 confirms it all...

(previously I had assumed, since my '99 miata was c-stock, then c-street prepared, that the classing made sense like that...)

I was really confused by the guy in the local club with a stupid-fast 06 mustang GT in ESP...

But, now that I've read more, I'm glad... cos in SP classes, the 87 RX-7 is legal for CSP... So I can keep my points while moving to the new race car :D

only now, the lettering system makes no sense to me...

R2s99zoom said:
yea... i actually found that out today, and felt really dumb for having posted that in this thread, ehe....

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/2007SoloRules.pdf

page 184 confirms it all...

(previously I had assumed, since my '99 miata was c-stock, then c-street prepared, that the classing made sense like that...)

I was really confused by the guy in the local club with a stupid-fast 06 mustang GT in ESP...

But, now that I've read more, I'm glad... cos in SP classes, the 87 RX-7 is legal for CSP... So I can keep my points while moving to the new race car :D

only now, the lettering system makes no sense to me...

Ahh good. But a Miata is more fun in CSP than an RX ;).

Latest posts

Back