msp popularity

blkspdfreak

:
03 black msp and silver p5
i was just wondering since everyone here is from all over the u.s. and canada, how popular are msp's in your area? how many and does everyone want to get their hands on one? reciently due to the modified mag's coverage of one of our very own msp's everyone wants one. and i was wondering why they werent souch a big hit when they came out.

yeah dude no one knows what kinda car an msp is, they've never heard of it, i didnt know it existed until i found my msp at the mazda dealership and fell in love with it, i bought it the same day

They were not mass produced and depending on where you live, you may never see any others. I rarely see another MSP on the road.

Ditto. I see an MSP rarely. I see more NSXs, Evos, S2ks, etc etc than an MSP

around here? umm rare as hell. I see one every few months... theres only a handfull around here...

a black mica (that I havent seen in FOREVER - 1+ years)
Titanium - my friend's, so his doesnt count
titanium w/ mods (seen only once)
sunlight silver - seen twice w/ SC tags
another blue one - that I personally have never seen, but friends have seen it thinking it was me.

thats all Ive ever seen.... Ive seen a few more in for service, but even that list is limited @ best.

everyone who sees the car for the first time either A) knows exactly what it is and appreciates it or B) asks me if its an evo, STi, or if it came stock like it is. No one has a clue - and I couldnt care less :p

EDIT: And I agree with L8R.... its sad when I see more lambos and ferraris than I do MSPs (not that Im complainin)

IMHO.... - the MSP was a risky move by Mazda to see if there was a viable market for "tuner" type vehicles. IIRC - Mazda had calloway design the car, then they chopped it down for cost reasons. 170hp was peppy, and the car is light enough to make it enjoyable. Produced in limited numbers, which everyone thought would make the car more of an "investment" - the car didn't sell well enough to get aftermarket support like other "tuner" cars have.

The biggest issue I have with the MSP is the engine. The suspension is amazing. The only thing is, it's alot easier to make a car handle better than it is to make a car faster when you are dealing with an entry level car.

FWIW - I do see quite a few MSP's in NJ. MP3's on the other hand are pretty rare.

I've seen 1 in my area. Other than that, I see NONE when i'm driving around. The only time i do see them is when i go meet up with my MOCC members and my friends roll in with their MSPs. :)

ChopstickHero said:
I've seen 1 in my area. Other than that, I see NONE when i'm driving around. The only time i do see them is when i go meet up with my MOCC members and my friends roll in with their MSPs. :)

true dat man

I have seen 4 different spicy msp's around here. One rolled and totaled, one sitting for sale with smashed front end, One driving by on hte highway, and the last one ws owned by a friend of mine that is now in someone else's posession. I have the only black mica msp I've ever seen in person. I did see titanium one near madison. And there might be either a blue msp or mp3 I see every week parked at a bank in Appleton. So I guess I've enough of them but wrx, evo's are much more popular. Even S2000's are seen more often. As of right now though, I am the only one in my area that has one. I have only seen one mp3 for sure in person at my mazda dealer, a blue one.

I see them every once in awhile. Less often than S2000's, but far more often than SVX's.

I don't really see a huge demand for them either. Heck, the Honda dealership couldn't even resell my trade-in, so it went to auction. It was bought by some dealership in West Florida, they put it on eBay, where it also didn't sell.

They are neat cars, but they aren't really set far enough apart from regular Protege's to truly be collector cars in my opinion.

I owned one and so did the guy next door. Weird to see 2 within 100 yards of each other.

Scott said:
I see them every once in awhile. Less often than S2000's, but far more often than SVX's.
I see way more SVX's where I live, probably once or twice a week. But I also see way more MSP's than Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari. But don't get started on how many Grand Prix, Grand Am, and Taurus's I see. WOW!

i've never seen a spicy in person.....seen a couple titaniums, 2 black micas, one silver, and one yellow at 5am on the highway (which was strage cause it was just him and me on the road)

Up until i bought mine, a year and a half ago, I had seen only seen one. Out side of our weekly DFW meets, I can count the number of MSPs I've seen on the road on one hand.

Truth be told, that was the reason I bought a MSP. They came in limited numbers with very little hype and most people had no idea what they were. Plus the handling pwnz.

You see Hondas at every stoplight, SRT-4's are domestics, and you can't open an SCC/Super Street/Import Tuner without seeing ten Evos or an STis.

Plus it's an awesome deal for the money.

I've seen seen one titanium, a yellow, and about three spicy's. But, that's the way I like it not having to see a car like mine everytime I turn my head. I like when people have to ask me what kind of car it is, then after I tell them they respond by saying "I've never heard of that before." Or just look at me with a puzzled look and say "oh."

kicknmazdaspd said:
I've seen seen one titanium, a yellow, and about three spicy's. But, that's the way I like it not having to see a car like mine everytime I turn my head. I like when people have to ask me what kind of car it is, then after I tell them they respond by saying "I've never heard of that before." Or just look at me with a puzzled look and say "oh."
Just tell them it is the only one ever made and you had it imported from japan! (rockon)

MSP's are quite popular up here in Minnesota...strange but true, in minneapolis there are 4 mazdaspeed dealers and easily more than 50 MSP's in the metro area. See them pretty often. Minnesota has one of the largest Mazda dealership networks in the USA. that said silver and blue are VERY RARE. I see about 1-2 a year of those colors.

Back