Widest Tires on Stock Pro5 Alloys

Flagship

:
2003 P5
How wide can I go before I start to hear scraping in my wheel well? I'd like to get some 220's, but I have a feeling that even 215 might cause rubbing. Anybody here have experience with wider tires on the stock alloys?

Thanks Men,
-Frank

205 will be putting you close to the fenders and the strut, im not sure how much wider of a tire will fit on the stockers anyways. If you want to get a wider tire why not get a rim that will support that?

Edit: From TheMan: Link

Last edited:
I have 205s on my stocks, and there is no rubbing at all. I really wouldn't know how much more you could go on them though.

Liquid_Ag said:
i prefer 205/45/16. stiffer sidewall
quoted for agreement.
It also allow you to keep your speedo current with your real speed.
Remeber, 50 or 45 is a percentage of the wideness, larger tier, smaller factor...

i think the best is staying with 195/50R16 if you wanna stay with the 16 inches

our cars were made with that !

first off my stock dunlops are 195/50/16 so i don't understand why you said that 45 series would keep it true to stock specs

i definately wouldn't recommend staying with 195s... 205 will give you more rubber contacting the road... if you want to corner wider tires will help you stick more as well as give you better traction during acceleration... and i also wouldn't recommend dropping down to a 45 series on a 16" rim because it changes the diameter of the wheel from stock... changing width gives more traction (and possibly decreased gas mileage, but minimal if tires are kept properly inflated) while changing diameter of the tire itself throws off your speedo and odo... i think it's around 5% difference from stock (so about 5 MPH for every 100, so not too drastic)... my recommendation would be a 205/50/16 but i think that you could get away with using any of the other setups recommended if so desired... no way u could toss a 220 on stock 16s though, no way... 220s would require a wider wheel than stock and you would also have to roll your fenders

195/50 = the aspect ratio is 50% of 195
205/45 = 45% of 205. it evens out to the same as stock. also i get 31 mpg mixed city/hwy driving, so i challenge everything you have just said :)

using a 205/45-16 will make the speedo 1.7% TOO fast... your speedo will say 60 when you're actually doing 59! the speedo already is designed to err too fast already... so putting on these tires actually make the speedo even WORSE than before... putting on 205/50-16s will make the speedo more accurate as it "slows" it down 1.7%

don't believe me? check with a GPS

PimpSmurf said:
first off my stock dunlops are 195/50/16 so i don't understand why you said that 45 series would keep it true to stock specs

i definately wouldn't recommend staying with 195s... 205 will give you more rubber contacting the road... if you want to corner wider tires will help you stick more as well as give you better traction during acceleration... and i also wouldn't recommend dropping down to a 45 series on a 16" rim because it changes the diameter of the wheel from stock... changing width gives more traction (and possibly decreased gas mileage, but minimal if tires are kept properly inflated) while changing diameter of the tire itself throws off your speedo and odo... i think it's around 5% difference from stock (so about 5 MPH for every 100, so not too drastic)... my recommendation would be a 205/50/16 but i think that you could get away with using any of the other setups recommended if so desired... no way u could toss a 220 on stock 16s though, no way... 220s would require a wider wheel than stock and you would also have to roll your fenders

I have 205/50-16 on the back of my P5 and 195/50-16 on the front and you definetly can see that the rear tires are larger diameter than the stock front sized tires. (yes, I need to buy two more of one or the other.)

yeah you can run with 205/50R16 and yes it will be larger so more contact on the road BUT your wall will be higher so it will be less stiff than a 195/50 or a 205/45
the 205/45 will be more stiff and you will accelerate faster but...it looks like crap if your car is not lowered...205/50 looks great, a little bit higher than stock, fills more the gap of the fender but you will accelerate a little bit slower....not 5 seconds but like.... .2 :p

I blew out a tire the other day and need to replace it so I will be buying two new tires for the rear. The ones on it now are Kuhmo ASX and although matching them up would be nice, I am not too happy with the wet traction, although dry is excellent.

Can anyone recommend another brand around the same price, $70 each?

NoRotor said:
I blew out a tire the other day and need to replace it so I will be buying two new tires for the rear. The ones on it now are Kuhmo ASX and although matching them up would be nice, I am not too happy with the wet traction, although dry is excellent.

Can anyone recommend another brand around the same price, $70 each?

if you dont mind waiting for who knows how long, yokohama parada spec-II. unfortunately, they are on national backorder with no expected ship date (so says tirerack). i ordered a set of 205/40/16 from them a while back.

Check out this link for a awesome tire/wheel size calculator... tells you exactly how much you'll be changing your speedo, diameter, etc, etc... and warns you if you are changing your overall tire/wheel size by more than 3%, which it says it not recommended, especially if you have an auto, as it can mess with your shift points. Lets you compare up to 5 tire sizes - http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Last edited:
Back