where do you get your oil changed?

zoomzoomV

:
06' Mazda 5
i'm just curious on where everyone gets there oil changed from? I usually go to the dealership..but it takes forever and you have to leave a appointment, blah blah..

so i want to know if other generic oil change services like jiffy lube, wont hurt my car. also i heard people tell me bad experiences with them.

feedback please(thumb)

Last edited:
dealer as long as its under warranty. Just to be safe. Have a neighbor who had a Toyota van who had problems with the engine and the dealer tried to say it was because they didn't change the oil. He was taking to a non-dealer for the oil changes. I know that was a Toyota not a Mazda, but every place is within a couple of bucks of each other.

I would change it myself before going to JiffyLube. They've been busted more than once for illegal practices. Just google them.

I go to the dealer for my oil changes, had a very bad experience with jiffy lube about 19 yrs ago! they forgot to put a oil filter on and drove my truck around the lot with no oil in it! Don't go to them please! go to the dealer or change it yourself. Angelo

- Mazda5: Dealer until the standard warranty is gone
- Older Honda car: no longer under warranty so I take it to Monro. The technicians are friendly and trustworthy so far. Only thing they couldn't do is to change one of those power window motors which died some time ago, yet they recommended a good place.

at the dealer for both my Mazdas. They know me pretty well and it usually takes about 30 minutes plus Free oil changes for however long I own the vehicles. MPV has ~126k, my Protege5 just hit 60k this past weekend. Oil gets changed every 5k miles so that's around 37 oil changes that only cost me my time.

I go to the dealer too.

Part of it is that the 5 has a large shield under the engine and uses cartridge filters.

I'm not convinced that a) the quick lube guys would know how to properly remove and reinstall the shield, b) have the correct cartridge filter in stock, and c) have any spare parts to replace anything they f-up. (e.g., one of the rubber gasket for the filter, etc.)

Also, the oil change price at the dealer is very competitive. It costs me around $25 for an oil change, and I also get a car wash and the interior vacuumed.

Dealer. But, eh, I do it myself. Perks!
I can't stress enough how importanty it is to take the 2.3L (non-Tribute) Mazda motored car to the dealer.
I'm sure they've gotten better since a year and a half ago, but ALOT of aftermarket filters have crap o-rings that tear when you tighten the filter housing down. We've put several motors in in the past for quick lubes that used thier own brand filters and o-rings tand they tore, unknown to the customer, so they drove thier vehicle out of oil.
So either demand a MAZDA filter at the lube shop (or bring your own) you trust, or come to the dealer.

Dealer. The first place I tried (brand name oil change while you wait place) upcharged me for everything. Cost a small fortune. After that I called a couple of other places to get their rates, and the dealer ends up being the cheapest place to go. The coffee is better there, I get to check out the new models, and it's across the street from a Home Depot, so I can always go shopping.

My garage. Come to think of it, I've never taken a car in to get it's oil changed. (Ok, the Scion had three comp'd changes at the dealer.) (nailbyt)

Wuster said:
I go to the dealer too.

Part of it is that the 5 has a large shield under the engine and uses cartridge filters.

I'm not convinced that a) the quick lube guys would know how to properly remove and reinstall the shield, b) have the correct cartridge filter in stock, and c) have any spare parts to replace anything they f-up. (e.g., one of the rubber gasket for the filter, etc.)

Also, the oil change price at the dealer is very competitive. It costs me around $25 for an oil change, and I also get a car wash and the interior vacuumed.

i didnt even think about the shield...you make a very good point.

okay i guess i am convinced (yes)

Just a final comment. Note that oil change is usually part of the car service, so if dealer is a good one, they also check for the typical car stuff during the appointment: tire rotation, brakes, blah blah blah, (and a car wash in some cases as seen above), so it makes sense... (at least in my case where my wife drives it most of the time plus I don't have too much time to do fun car stuff anymore (pissed) )

jiffy lube. I took my car to oil can henry's last time and they charged me 6 or 7 dollars extra because of the type of filter. I think Jiffy only charges something like 33ish for standard 5-20, and the blend costs around $15 more.
I would take it to the dealership but it just takes too damn long. an oil change shouldnt take longer than 20 mins.

paging_drburgos said:
jiffy lube. I took my car to oil can henry's last time and they charged me 6 or 7 dollars extra because of the type of filter. I think Jiffy only charges something like 33ish for standard 5-20, and the blend costs around $15 more.
I would take it to the dealership but it just takes too damn long. an oil change shouldnt take longer than 20 mins.

this is what i have been curious about. my dealership here in oregon take atleast 1hr - 1hr 30 to get my oil changed. w/appointment.

but if i took it to jiffy lube/oil can henry i know it would take atleast 20mins.

but is it worth the dealership not screwing up much as jiffy lube/etc?

I've heard a lot of oil change mishaps at Jiffy Lube and at the dealership. You can never be sure if the mechanic really changed your oil filter, or if they tightened the drain plug to the right torque. The best way to change the oil is to do it yourself, because no one else really cares about your car. If you know a reputable mechanic or shop then that's the place you should go.

I've always changed my own oil. I save the receipts for oil and filter in case the dealership tries to screw me with a warranty claim. Purolator now makes cartridge filters for the Mazda 2.3L. I've checked out the o-ring and the quality is pretty good.

Back