Stuttering CX

This really blows, CX 7 has been at the dealer 4 days now waiting on word from the Design Center in CA. Got the flash done, ran great for about 3 weeks then began to "surge" between 2500 & 4500 RPM under load. Damn thing would cycle about 400 RPM with the throttle held steady. Fine off the line or above 4500. Dealer is calling it a mid-range acceleration problem and is clueless how to repair it. Only has 10k on it, seriously rethinking my plans to keep if after warranty coverage runs out. Anybody else in a similar fix?

Mamas Ride said:
This really blows, CX 7 has been at the dealer 4 days now waiting on word from the Design Center in CA. Got the flash done, ran great for about 3 weeks then began to "surge" between 2500 & 4500 RPM under load. Damn thing would cycle about 400 RPM with the throttle held steady. Fine off the line or above 4500. Dealer is calling it a mid-range acceleration problem and is clueless how to repair it. Only has 10k on it, seriously rethinking my plans to keep if after warranty coverage runs out. Anybody else in a similar fix?

Update; After 4 full days with the vehicle the braniacs @ the Design Center want the fuel tank drained and new gas ! Ground-breaking stuff, huh. As the CX was always fed 93 and this problem has gone on for more than 1 tank there is no way in hell this will do anything but cost me money in lost fuel. Can't even get pissed at the Dealer as they told me upfront they had no idea what the problem was and are at the Design Center Engineer's mercy. If they had tried this the 2nd day I would be a little more understanding...

Mamas Ride said:
Update; After 4 full days with the vehicle the braniacs @ the Design Center want the fuel tank drained and new gas ! Ground-breaking stuff, huh. As the CX was always fed 93 and this problem has gone on for more than 1 tank there is no way in hell this will do anything but cost me money in lost fuel. Can't even get pissed at the Dealer as they told me upfront they had no idea what the problem was and are at the Design Center Engineer's mercy. If they had tried this the 2nd day I would be a little more understanding...

wow, all to familiar. they will purge your tank, refill with 93, then, when it does it again, expect a fuel pump replacement, which to my knowledge are still on back order - if your repair follows this path you maybe CX-7-less for over a month.

gas isnt the problem - but its the #1 thing they start off with on their check list with the engine, call it protocall if u will. Good luck, doesnt sound good though.

i went around 3 months with engine probs. Hopefully, your scenario isnt as serious as mine was. If you would like more details, feel free to PM me, i can def offer you some guidance along this journey.

my first word of advice - the "bad gas" theory is not a warranty repair according to Mazda, make sure u check in with ur service team and/or manager to make sure you are paying ZERO for what is going on right now.

This may be a dumb question: But can't they ciphon-out a sample of the gas and TEST the octane level...? Instead of draining (wasting) a tank of gas a refilling with what may be identical fuel...?

There's GOT to be equipment out there that will test that with ease...
isn't there...?

The drained fuel will go into another vehicle I'm sure. I would suspect the ECU would cause that kind of issue. No CEL ???

CX7_Scott said:
This may be a dumb question: But can't they ciphon-out a sample of the gas and TEST the octane level...? Instead of draining (wasting) a tank of gas a refilling with what may be identical fuel...?

There's GOT to be equipment out there that will test that with ease...
isn't there...?

no, instead, they purged my tank, went to Shell for the refill, then charged me the 40 bucks.

Back