Heat/Cold shifting issues?

This is on my '03 P5, 40k miles, 5sp. I've noticed a small problem whenever the weather is abnormally cold, or after driving my car for ~1hr: shifting becomes very difficult.

While in neutral and the car is cool or warmed up, the shifter will default to the central position and shift easily.

After driving for awhile, it will stick to either the left or right side (wherever I put it, actually). Also, shifting between all gears is very difficult, almost like the trans fluid turned solid.

I bought this car used at 28k miles, so I don't know the maintenance history prior to that. Any ideas what is causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks

Change your tranny fluid. See if that makes a difference. I noticed a huge difference between mine and my friends' MP5. His shifts like butter and mine is a lot harder... don't know why.

Matt

If you have the B&M short shifter installed that might be the culprit. This has been reported as a common "problem" with them and mine does it too.

gottacatchup said:
If you have the B&M short shifter installed that might be the culprit. This has been reported as a common "problem" with them and mine does it too.

Crap...I do. Where does this problem lie? Is it the bushings, rub against the heat shield?

Back