CR-V vs CX-7 Commercial

its all about value and bang for buck - now if mazda could only make a commercial that doesnt make me want to shut the tv off, the zoom zoom and the lame song need to go, quick.

mikey1981 said:
its all about value and bang for buck - now if mazda could only make a commercial that doesnt make me want to shut the tv off, the zoom zoom and the lame song need to go, quick.

Keep your eyes peeled. Mazda's new CX-7 commercial (launched this week) is right on target. It depicts a couple in a Copper Red Mica sweetie choosing a long, twisting road over the short, straight one - to the same destination.

Exactly!!

Last edited:
1killercls said:
again..it is called perception of value. Which is a very personal thing.

I hear what you're saying. I was just stating that the perception of value of the Mazda product line is higher in some countries than others. Mazda is still not regarded as high as Acura, but the gap here has closed considerably over the last 5 years.

cmdavis3rd said:
I feel the value was there for a 31k (or cheaper with the S-Plan) over the Honda.

I would like to see them go after the Murano (in my opinion soft floaty suspension, weak brakes, CVT only trans) or the Acura RDX.

Not gonna win that fight when the base RDX is selling for ~$30k and RDX w/ Tech are going for ~$33k.

You'll have a better shot against that slushbox of CUV - the Murano.

mikey1981 said:
i disagree. its drives better than both, and isnt that a main reason why we buy our cars? luxury is luxury, but the interior of the murano is gross and the rdx has the lux but at the same time, the RDX still isnt.....a lexus (interior/quality wise)

the fact is, the cx-7's price makes it hard not to compare it to more costly suvs (nissan, acura) and cheaper honda's and toyotas where u get more bang for the buck with Mazda.

say what u want about the SH-AWD, the lux interior of the acura, the mazda drives better & looks better. yea u can get a crv for low 20's but that is a bargain basement not even full alloy rims - at 24k u cannot go feature for feature with the cx7 it wins in almost every category.

i have not seen the commercial, but sales figures will also say that the Mazda has been Acuras bully taking away sales. Almost every single person on this board and on other internet boards shoped the RDX directly with the Mazda, and then maybe the murano if they didnt like either product. To deny that the 7 hasnt been a major player in this new niche turbo small suv category is a little blind, lets face facts here: for MOST of us, when we shop a car, the bottom line is price, and when u shop an apple to an apple and one costs more than the other, its pretty hard not to save the money and buy almost the same thing and in some ways the cheaper apple is better. The acura to, i would say, a regular customer, just may not warrant the bigger price tag. Interiors are subjective to a point, and it just may be that the Acura doesnt have enough to make people jump up to the product.

i just do not buy the "the mazda is no acura" theory. I know some members on this board say the mazda is no acura, all im saying is besides the interior, WHY NOT?

Have you even driven the RDX? At least sat inside one?

The only reason why CX-7 and RDX owners were cross-shopping the two were because of their relatively close price ranges for a fully-loaded CX-7 GT w/ AWD vs. the RDX.

The comparisons truly cease after that.

I drove the CX-7 several times, put it through its paces on sharp turns/corners, acceleration, etc, just to make sure I wasn't making a mistake on the RDX. 4,000 miles into it, I'm very, very happy with the Acura, which - in my opinion - simply delivers the most value between the two.

Yep, I'm happy with my decision.

Last edited:
Mazda3 said:
I hear what you're saying. I was just stating that the perception of value of the Mazda product line is higher in some countries than others. Mazda is still not regarded as high as Acura, but the gap here has closed considerably over the last 5 years.
(drinks)

Psychobroker said:
Not gonna win that fight when the base RDX is selling for ~$30k and RDX w/ Tech are going for ~$33k.

You'll have a better shot against that slushbox of CUV - the Murano.

To be fair, you're comparing the MSRP of the Mazda to the (assumed) negotiated price of the Acura. We got our CX7 Sport w/ Tech Package for just under $24k OTD. We don't have the leather or some of the other features that the GT has, but we actually prefer the cloth seats. It gets to hot here in the south, the leather sticks to you during the summer and it really doesn't get cold enough here in the winter to make not having the heated seats a deal breaker.

So I'd say that value wise, the CX7 wins. If you want the prestige of owning an Acura or a Lexus and the plush interior then more power to you. Thats your choice and no one can knock you for it. I just don't see how anyone can claim that the RDX is a better value than the CX7 when in real world situations it costs about $6-7k more OTD.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that having bluetooth, trip computer, Ipod jack and slightly nicer interior appointments doesn't make up the $7k difference, some of that is being paid for the Acura name. Which like I said, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Heck, I've got an Italian motorcycle that stacks up pretty evenly to a Japanese bike that costs 25-30% less. I know I can't argue the value point. I don't think you'll ever be able to argue that a "luxury brand," such as Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Ducati (motorcycle), etc. is a better value than a more common brand.

Last edited:
Psychobroker said:
Have you even driven the RDX? At least sat inside one?

The only reason why CX-7 and RDX owners were cross-shopping the two were because of their relatively close price ranges for a fully-loaded CX-7 GT w/ AWD vs. the RDX.

The comparisons truly cease after that.

I drove the CX-7 several times, put it through its pases on sharp turns, acceleration, etc, just to make sure I wasn't making a mistake on the RDX. 4,000 miles into it, I'm very, very happy with the Acura, which - in my opinion - simply delivers the most value between the two.

Yep, I'm happy with my decision.

I think your figures are just a little off.

The RDX w/tech pkg is $7000 more than my CX-7 GT AWD in Canada. The "selling" prices are the same spread. There are no big discounts or rebates on either of these in Canada. On top of that the lease rate is 2% higher on the Acura and the resudual value is 2% lower, you heard right the residual value is lower on the Acura.

Anyway the end result is that the 4yr lease on the Acura is about $210/mo more.

Sorry, but anyway you slice it there's no where near $200 a month more value in the RDX.

cliff0529 said:
To be fair, you're comparing the MSRP of the Mazda to the (assumed) negotiated price of the Acura. We got our CX7 Sport w/ Tech Package for just under $24k OTD. We don't have the leather or some of the other features that the GT has, but we actually prefer the cloth seats. It gets to hot here in the south, the leather sticks to you during the summer and it really doesn't get cold enough here in the winter to make not having the heated seats a deal breaker.

So I'd say that value wise, the CX7 wins. If you want the prestige of owning an Acura or a Lexus and the plush interior then more power to you. Thats your choice and no one can knock you for it. I just don't see how anyone can claim that the RDX is a better value than the CX7 when in real world situations it costs about $6-7k more OTD.

Sure, a base/sport CX-7 will cost less than a RDX, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I was comparing the OP's CX-7 GT w/ AWD to a base or even Tech RDX. $30k-$31k after negotiations is about right for the CX-7 GT w/ AWD & Tech; I have a quote sitting on my desk as I type this. Whereas, the RDX w/ Tech is going for ~$33k. That's only ~$3k more...

I am trying to compare "apples to apples" here. Well, as close as one can get. I say this because the RDX w/ Tech still comes with the following advantages over the CX-7:

- SH-AWD (standard, purpose built, and much more sophisticated than the unit the CX-7 borrows from the 6)
- Higher quality interior materials i.e. leather used, plastics, seat bolsters (not bias, just a fact)
- ELS DVD-Audio 5.1 Stereo System - truly unbelievable
- Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters
- STANDARD AUX jack with available Acura Music Link (uses Navi screen)
- Dual zone automatic climate control (not sure about the CX-7)
- Voice recognition & voice activated commands (audio, climate control and navigation)
- HandsFree bluetooth link (not available on the CX-7)
- Superior Navigation System
++ Satellite based
++ Destination Database (i.e. restaurants, gas stations, lodging, amusement, etc - all with addresses, phone numbers, etc)
++ Real time traffic updates
++ Zagat Reviews
++ Voice or dial operable WHILE driving (no need to stop; no other system like it)

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that having bluetooth, trip computer, Ipod jack and slightly nicer interior appointments doesn't make up the $7k difference, some of that is being paid for the Acura name. Which like I said, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Heck, I've got an Italian motorcycle that stacks up pretty evenly to a Japanese bike that costs 25-30% less. I know I can't argue the value point. I don't think you'll ever be able to argue that a "luxury brand," such as Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Ducati (motorcycle), etc. is a better value than a more common brand.

Now you are comparing apples and oranges. A CX-7 Sport is not in the same class or price range as a base RDX. The only CX-7 variation you can really compare to the RDX is the GT w/ AWD and Tech. Otherwise, the differences between the two are far too much to call them "competitors".

If you're in the market for a CX-7 GT w/ AWD and Tech, then it would serve you well to check out the RDX. If you're not looking to spend $30k-$33k on a CUV, then sure, the sport or touring CX-7's are GREAT.

I love the CX-7, but it just didn't do enough for me, which is why I went with the RDX w/ tech.

Last edited:
Mazda3 said:

The RDX w/tech pkg is $7000 more than my CX-7 GT AWD in Canada. The "selling" prices are the same spread. There are no big discounts or rebates on either of these in Canada. On top of that the lease rate is 2% higher on the Acura and the resudual value is 2% lower, you heard right the residual value is lower on the Acura.

Sorry, but anyway you slice it there's no where near $200 a month more value in the RDX.

Do you have the tech package? Your post doesn't state either way.

In any event, I live in the states and the spread I quote is the truth.

townhall-talk.edmunds.com links:

RDX prices paid: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e58a8!make=Acura&model=RDX&ed_makeindex=.f0e58a8

CX-7 prices paid: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0b4369!make=Mazda&model=CX-7&ed_makeindex=.f0b4369

RDX vs. CX-7: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f100b40/135

autoweek review: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070427/FREE/70425008/1007/FREE
(I posted a reviewr/rebuttal )

Remember, to be fair, you really cannot compare the base RDX to anything but the CX-7 GT w/ AWD. Tech pricing is about $3k each vehicle, but Acura's package provides much more than Mazda's. However, for argument's sake, just consider them equal.

It does seem the spread is closer in the US than Canada. I assume you paid cash? How do the lease programs compare? Like I said in Canada anyway the payment difference is huge on a lease. Acura is very arrogant with their lease programs.

I have the feeling the actual selling price of the CX-7 will come down in the US in the near future which will make the gap more like the canadian gap.

Mazda3 said:
It does seem the spread is closer in the US than Canada. I assume you paid cash? How do the lease programs compare? Like I said in Canada anyway the payment difference is huge on a lease. Acura is very arrogant with their lease programs.

I have the feeling the actual selling price of the CX-7 will come down in the US in the near future which will make the gap more like the canadian gap.

Actually, that's the price regardless of purchase vs. lease. I ended up leasing because it made more fiscal sense to me. The money factor I got was .00141, which is the equivalent of a 3.38% APR, and a residual value of 53% on a 15k mile/year 3-year lease. Not bad IMHO

Acura/Honda's "Superpreferred" (>790 FICO) money factor is now .00108, or comperably a 2.59% APR. Pretty good, if you ask me.

Mazda3 said:

I agree with you on the value... there was no way an RDX was worth the extra money, even though it's a better vehicle.

To top it off they wouldn't discount the RDX much, where-as my CX-7 was discounted quite well... so the spread became much larger.

koala said:
I agree with you on the value... there was no way an RDX was worth the extra money, even though it's a better vehicle.

To top it off they wouldn't discount the RDX much, where-as my CX-7 was discounted quite well... so the spread became much larger.

Do tell, what were the price differences?

Psychobroker said:
Actually, that's the price regardless of purchase vs. lease. I ended up leasing because it made more fiscal sense to me. The money factor I got was .00141, which is the equivalent of a 3.38% APR, and a residual value of 53% on a 15k mile/year 3-year lease. Not bad IMHO

Acura/Honda's "Superpreferred" (>790 FICO) money factor is now .00108, or comperably a 2.59% APR. Pretty good, if you ask me.

The Acura has a 6.9% lease rate here with a 42% residual on a 4yr 24km/yr lease. The CX-7 is 4.9% with a 44% rsidual on a 25km/year lease which really amplifies the price difference.

Mazda3 said:
The Acura has a 6.9% lease rate here with a 42% residual on a 4yr 24km/yr lease. The CX-7 is 4.9% with a 44% rsidual on a 25km/year lease which really amplifies the price difference.

Yep, not very good. it makes no sense that Acura's giving a lower residual.

1killercls said:
These are touchy threads...no? (rofl2)

Agreed. Honestly, I am surprised name calling hasn't begun. This is actually a very mature forum. Probably going to eat my words for that. I have been a member of the RX7Club.com since 2001 and man since the early days of that forum I felt like I was dealing with a bunch of High Schoolers. Still do. :p

Back