BOV Vac Line and wastegate line configuration

:
06 MS6/03.5 MSP
well to start off the msp is boosting at 15-20psi depending on how fast i catch it and let off...not good...only mods are k&n filter kit and turbo back 2.5" no cats nor esonators and of course a boost gauge. it was hooked up to the small u shaped vac line and then i hooked it up to the intake mani vac line to the bov just to verify the pressure i got. same thing. i set up a boost controller and no matter how much in or out i set it, same thing. brought it to mazda and they said they won't touch it because the exhaust has raised the pressure haha...NO! it definiltey didn't. they also said my wastegate and bov vac line to the intake manifold is 'hacked up and not in the right places' even though i never touched it until after the boost issue im having. so can someone please post up some pictures of where the wastegate line goes to please just to verify my line is right.

any other ideas to why this crap is happening?

You need to re-route the hoses.
You don't want anything between the boost controller and the wastegate.
You basically just have to just re-route the BOV/BPV somewhere else.

well as of now i have line from intake mani going to the bov, about 6 inches from bov it "T"s and goes to the wastegate. nothing else is in those lines currently, except the boost gauge actually which is a few inches from the IM currrently.

any way of a photo to show, i hate having to go by words, im a see it do it guy. lol.

Here ya go..

027.jpg

You can see the blue hose and where it "t's" off and goes to the wastegate..

Like I said re-route it, so that there is nothing in between the boost controller and wastegate. Get the BOV off of those lines. Run it to the brake booster, or somewhere. You cannot have the BOV and the boost controller on the same lines. No T fitting, nothing. Just run it straight from the mani to the boost controller, then to the wastegate, and you're done.

you don't need pictures, just do it.

Last edited:
ok ok, thats easy, ill re-route and run the bov to the brake booster line. boost gauge will go there too. don't think much is gonna happen though. i removed the line of the wastegate and blew into it and i can keep on blowing into it over and over, i think the diaphragm is torn in that pos. isn't there a tsb for it? i tried searching quick didn't come up with info...ill prob try a lil later again when i get a chance unless someone posts it up for me here.

RevLimitLaunch said:
ok ok, thats easy, ill re-route and run the bov to the brake booster line. boost gauge will go there too. don't think much is gonna happen though. i removed the line of the wastegate and blew into it and i can keep on blowing into it over and over, i think the diaphragm is torn in that pos. isn't there a tsb for it? i tried searching quick didn't come up with info...ill prob try a lil later again when i get a chance unless someone posts it up for me here.

so long as you can rule out a cracked/torn vac line as the reason the air is going through, that means your WGA is bad. I don't think there was a TSB, but i could be wrong. You can always order the ATP replacement for $60 instead of going the expensive route through the dealer.

I doubt it's due to a leak. Odds are it is the WGA.....get it changed before you join the zoomzoomboom club.

yeah i've just heard around here and there people speak of a tsb for the WG but it may not be there since i never saw anything posted on the msp problems threads that lists all tsbs/recalls etc. im going to hook up a vaccuum pump tonight to see if the diaphragm will hold any type of pressure, if not then that solves that problem and the atp will be on order. anyone got the part number for one around 8psi?? thanks i can't find any vendors that have it and i even googled it with no luck.

the ATP sr20det WGA sold as 6PSI is actually a 8PSI for some reason....
that's the one everyone gets.

I dunno, I had this same exact problem. I installed a DSMBC and it would just keep spiking to 15 psi.

I talked to the guys at TURBOSMART and they told me to re-route everything, because for some reason it makes the wastegate stay shut in-definately so you build up full potential boost every time.

i don't even have an mbc hooked up and it goes that high though. im trying to get it into mazda this way they can fix the problem, then i get the new wastegate after lol.

spikes, not sure. it just f*ck*ng climbs as high as it wants, pretty much running off what the turbo is able to push, once you floor it the turbo spools so fast that once it actually starts to climb fast i let off and i usually catch it by about 15psi, but it has hit 20 or so so far. im surprised i didn't leave the bottom end on that road, scared me for a second. then i kept on messing around with different instances and nothing has worked. the sr20 6psi atp wg is probably what ill put in, i hear with some mods that on our cars it actually sits about 8psi or so which is good, that's about all i want this car to be at.

The WGA needs as direct vaccuum source as possible. The longer that the *boost signal* has to travel the more spike you get. His issue is not with spike but an unregulated boost pressure.....the WGA is not seeing the *boost signal* (bad diaphram). This is allowing unlimited boost from the turbo, it's bad for all parts in involved, turbo/pipes/motor/tranny. Get it fixed asap.

RevLimitLaunch said:
spikes, not sure. it just f*ck*ng climbs as high as it wants, pretty much running off what the turbo is able to push, once you floor it the turbo spools so fast that once it actually starts to climb fast i let off and i usually catch it by about 15psi, but it has hit 20 or so so far. im surprised i didn't leave the bottom end on that road, scared me for a second. then i kept on messing around with different instances and nothing has worked. the sr20 6psi atp wg is probably what ill put in, i hear with some mods that on our cars it actually sits about 8psi or so which is good, that's about all i want this car to be at.

Thats screaming bad wastegate all over..

Alejo_NIN said:
it always sits at 8 psi regardless of mods...
Mine always did 11PSI with my new mods, then I put it up to 17PSI and then one fateful the day the acuator failed and the boost went way over 20PSI and burned a ring :(

Back