New to engine/suspension work, needs advice

shaggyhair

:
2002.5 Protege5
So, I have absolutely no engine work experience other than being able to change my own oil. Going faster has never really been something I needed or wanted. My thing has always been a comfortable interior with a good sound system. ANYWAY. I am looking to drop my car this summer and maybe look at squeezing out a little more speed from my motor. I drive a 2002.5 Protege5 with the triptronic shifter. I have absolutely no idea what I could do to my car in terms of springs or engine work that is within the budget of a college student making 7.30 an hour.

I really want to drop my car but I have no idea what to do after I buy springs.

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete idiot (boom03) when it comes to this stuff so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58798

i would check this link out. its a spring buyers guide. basically if your going to reuse your stock struts, i would try to keep the spring rate of the lowering springs as close to the stock rates as possible. so that way, your stockers wont run out of steam so quickly. but be prepared to upgrade them if you start to get tossed around on the road.

some of the more popular springs are espelir, eibach and tein. and then there is the mazdaspeed ( mazdaspeed springs) and Mp3 setup ( racingbeat springs). some say that this is by far the best setup. but everyone is different and has different tastes.

as far as engine work. i would start with a cat back exhaust and a cold air intake to get some bettr airflow into the engine.from there, its all about how much time you have and how deep your pockets are.lol

Back