Mazda MX-5 Miata reliability - how does it compare?

I've looked at Miatas since they came out, many years ago. I've watched them in Consumer Reports, as well. They seem to be one of the most dedendable cars on the road, if left stock. I bought a '95 in '99 and drove it for about three years. The only problems I had with it was a battery and an antenna mast. Nothing else. The '06 that I bought two years ago has low mileage of about 15K and has been flawless, so far. It's a Sport trim line. I'd have bought a GT; but, I didn't like the top. Then, I found out they came out with the hard top a year later. I would have bought one of those. I was told Mazda came out a year later with it because they wanted it right. It is.
Our RX-8 has been with us for a year. It's also a '06 and has been flawless except for a bad sun visor. Nice cars, both.

I work for a company that writes and sells extended warranties.

Miata's have cheap premium's and low # of claims for a reason. I'd put them near the top of the list in terms of reliability, similar to most Honda's(Odyssey excluded). Saturn, Volvo, and Mercedes are at the bottom.

No disrespect intended, but I wouldn't buy an extended warranty on a Miata. I don't understand people who buy a car because it has a rep for being reliable, then buy an extended warranty for it.

Consumer Reports does not suggest extended warranties on most cars. They do suggest them if we insist on buying cars that have worse than average maintenance issues. The Miata does not.

The little turbos in the 2004-05 MSMs do not seem to be lasting past 50k ..I read one post on another site where someone got the last new replacement turbo available in the USA ..Most have the HP guys who are into speed are replacing their smaller turbos with bigger turbos and manifolds..

I can't say I agree with that. I have an MSM and I am active on the forums. Sure, a few people have had problems but they are very vocal about them. The vast majority of them are just fine. Mine has been the most reliable car I've ever owned.

I'll probably upgrade the turbo when the warranty is up just to get more power though. These little IHI's do have limits.

And to the comment above from the owner who cannot find a replacement run flat. Did they only replace one tire? Have you considered replacing the other rear so they match? Even though they may be the same size on paper, tire sizes vary from company to company. A difference in size is not good for your handling and if you have LSD, could actually cause problems. If you want a full set of run flats at a good price, MINI owners sell them all the time with barely any miles. They are standard on the Cooper S but tons of people get rid of them very soon after purchase.

I've had two cars with factory installed turbos. The first was a '90 Ford Probe GT that may very well have been Miata under the hood. The other was a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Both cars were fun to drive and never gave us a problem with the turbos. I'd consider one of the Mazda turbos. Actually, I guess I did when I was looking for my last Miata. I looked at one that was about two years old. It looked rough and had a large price tag for it's condition. I stepped away from that and bought a new Sport with the suspension package for about the same money. No regrets; but, I still would like to have had the other one, had it been in better condition. Now, I want one with a GM LS1 engine in it. That should be enough power; but, I can't say how dependable it will be. The gas mileage is good, though. :)

That's a few...

Some much newer cars actually have that many. But they're not usually Miatas.

122 Miatas signed up so far. A good start, but they're spread pretty thinly, so no model year is included in the main survey yet.

The 2007 and 1999 are about 2/3 of the way.

Vehicle reliability research

I just rolled 100k in my 95. recently lost all the fluid in my radiator. no puddle, no trail of water at low speeds, but after a 15 minute ride to work, the radiator was low about 3 fins. filled her back up at work in the morning, full after work-no puddles. drive home low again. last car I had this happen to, the head gasket went, but that was a dodge. so I had her pressure tested. turns out there was a pin hole leak in a heater hose that runs from the back of the block to the oil filter jacket. Cost me $15 and a 6pack of beer to get her fixed. no more leaks, better fuel economy. I love my roadster.

1995 Base Miata with dealer ac and radio added...and soon 99 15 inch miata sport package wheels...

Always a 3rd or 4th car...everytime i think of selling it, i drive it. One of the nicest driving cars i've ever had.

80k miles on the odo...the only real "failure" was of the clutch slave cylinder...but i never flushed the lines, so i think it might have corroded from the inside..My first replacement westco battery will no longer hold a charge after 8 michigan winters, so thats up next, and it needs a top, but no "failures".

I've had to re-do the brakes more times than i can count on one hand, but hey, that just means im driving it like i'm 'pos to.

There's a reason we don't include brakes in our repair rate analysis :)

How often should the clutch fluid be flushed? I've never thought of that before.

My '94

79k miles.

Failures:
Slave cylinder, twice.
Antenna Mast, once.
Consumables (tires, brakes) don't count.

That's it.

This car has been tracked, autocrossed, and run hard but also maintained exceptionally well. Best car I have ever owned. Will never sell it.

P.S. Way too much info required via the referenced website. Not easy to use, not willing to put up with it.

Last edited:
Back