Mazda MX-5 Miata reliability - how does it compare?

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? Ill also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

The owner of this forum has been lending a hand by running a banner for me. Thanks, Antoine.

I need more owners to sign up to participate before I can start collecting data on any year of the Miata. So far 46 are signed up, but that's for all model years.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Took a look at your plans for the MSM. Sounds incredible, but might not be the best candidate for this research.

I just have a short-throw shifter in my P5. And generally I'm quite happy with the car, very fun around town. But every once in a while I wonder what the P5 is like with one of the aftermarket turbos...

DIY repairs can be reported. One question on the survey asks who performed the repair:

1. Dealer
2. Other repair shop
3. Self or other non-mechanic

I added #3 after a few people who work on their own cars asked, "What about us?"

please consider joining truedelta. this guy/group is collecting a lot of good data for all sorts of vehicles. i've been participating with my MSP since last November.

I am considering it, just have yet to do it ;) my kid and the baby in my belly keep me occupied!

My wife wants another one. But we already have three. And with #4, you absolutely need a third row.

The three I have fit just fine in the back of my P5.

Sadly, they don't fit as well in the back of an RX-8 :(

P5w3kids said:
Sadly, they don't fit as well in the back of an RX-8 :(

Thats it... you have to tell one of the kids they're fired!

(i'm signing up for the panel btw)

Still short of the minimum needed to start collecting data on any year of the Miata. Oddly, 1999 is the closest, and over halfway. 2006 is about one-third of the way.

Both of mine were great. I sold one of them, and being a track car my other one doesn't qualify. How about a participant with an '04 Hybrid Civic? :p

I collect data on anything 25 owners sign up for. Another 2004 Civic would be helpful. I don't currently break out powertrains unless problems seem limited to one powertrain, as with the 2007 Camry.

Run Flat Tires (Bridgestone)

This is an interesting concept in tires. I recently learned the hard way that my 08 Miata is equiped with run flat tires. These are 45 series tires and really have very little room between the rim and the ground to absorb shock, so I guess it is a good idea to have tires that are designed to run on the tire walls (I have since researched these tires). However, having not been informed by the salesmen at Wray Mazda that I had such tires, I believed it was a conventional tire and went immediately to the goodyear store at dutch square for a replacement. They did not have the Bridgestone tire and stated infatically that they could not even get it; it was not available, so they installed a BF Goodrich 205/45-17 on the rear. The handling was significantly effected with a marked pull to the left upon acceleration and to the right on braking, and on the highway, the car constantly searches for direction, something it did not do before. So far Wray Mazda has also been unable to find a Bridgestone replacement so we are learning to live with this unstable handling situation.

The little turbos in the 2004-05 MSMs do not seem to be lasting past 50k ..I read one post on another site where someone got the last new replacement turbo available in the USA ..Most have the HP guys who are into speed are replacing their smaller turbos with bigger turbos and manifolds..

Back