Mazda RX-8 reliability

That ain't right. As you've been telling her, a rotary is born to rev.

In her defense, it was she who picked out the car for herself. It is she who has to drive it as a daily driver. Besides, it was a Christmas present to her; so, I have no claims on it. I have the Miata and some other toys. To try to get her to drive it as it should be is a wasted effort. Been there and done that, before. I can only warn her of the consequences, if she doesn't. She wanted the car for its looks, not its performance; so, I drive it, from time to time, to drive out the cobwebs. I've always done that for her cars.

Just a couple of days ago, I tried to get her to drive the Hybrid-7. I did it for fun. I knew she wouldn't even think about it. Heck, I can't get her to drive the Miata! I've had it for two years; and, she's yet to drive it. She'll drive the Mustang and RX-8, though. She has claims on those. :)

I absolutely apologize for the Thread Jacking, but are they really gonna come out with a mazdaspeed RX8, and if so what are the specs if any on the car. I've heard rumors about it but they were vague. I have a self Made 2001 MSP, but i think i'd sell my soul for a IDEA of a Mazdaspeed RX-8. So please someone tell me something.

AFAIK, there's no MazdaSpeed version coming, just a refresh of what we already have.

On topic, there will be updated results for the 2004 in May. Still need more participants to provide a result for other years. And to get rid of the asterisk on the 2004 result.

To help get your model year included:

Vehicle reliability research

Just added my details to this survey thing.........

BTW. My 03-model has had a few minor issues but nothing I haven't dealt with easily.

RX-8's are a very relaible car compared to earlier RX's

REgards

That result has been posted, and the repair rate is better than average for the 2004. Which is also better than I expected, based on talk in the forums.

I'd like to get rid of the asterisk for marginal sample size, and include additional model years. Just need more participants.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Next results in August for the 2004. The 2005 might also make it in, but we're a few short of the minimum, and it's going to be close.

Still need more 2006+ cars signed up to include those years in the survey.

To help get your model year fully included:

The 2004 is currently a couple responses short of a full result, while the 2005 is a full responses short of a preliminary result.

If you've signed up to participate but haven't yet responded to the survey (via a link in the email you received), please do. And if you haven't signed up yet, I hope you'll consider doing so. I'd really like to have these results in August.

Posted updated results. the 2004 ended up a single response short of a full result. So it, like the result for the 2005, is asterisked for marginal sample size and visible only to members on the site itself.

That said, both years appear to have average, maybe slighlty better than average, repair rates.

With more participants we could provide precise results for all years.

It's been three months, so results have been updated again.

Mazda RX-8 repair rates, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2004: 96, about average

2005: 51, better than average, but very small sample size

Additional participants would be very helpful for all years.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

Updated results recently posted for the 2004 and 2005. RX-8 reliability, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2004: 89, average

2005: 82, average (small sample size, but similarity to the 2004 is reassuring)

It seems that quite a few tail lamps have been replaced because of condensation lately.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise results and include more model years--so hopefully more owners will continue to sign up.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The one for the RX-8:

Mazda RX-8 reliability comparisons

We've updated the results for the RX-8 to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2004: 78, about average

2005: 110, worse than average, but marginal sample size

Quite a few 2005 owners have recently reported condensation in the tail lights. More common with this year, or just more commonly repaired because these cars are still under warranty?

A big thank you to Antoine, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

45k miles now. I have an 04 Rx-8. Bought it used, the lady who owned it before me drowned it twice so she decided to sell. Warranty did this for me before i bought it off of her. Pulled out the engine and rebuild it, gave me a new tranny. Bought it at 35k miles. The taillight condensation < i hated it... at first it was just the driver side, i fixed the driver side then the passenger side had water... fixed both now... nothing happened for the past 2months even after raining soo.... no prob. Besides adding oil every now and then, changing oil and filter... nothing is wrong with it. Btw, if you r gonna buy a sporty car, dont complain bout gas mileage =) the handling of this car > gas mileage any day

2005 with 34ish k miles. Zero mechanical problems. I did have the tail light condensation though. Mazda has released a bulletin about it. They now offer a different style foam gasket you put around the lights. If you're not under warranty, it's gonna set you back at least 40 bucks though.

Please remember that folks generally only open their mouths to complain. So when someone has a problem with their 8, they come here to post about it. How many threads titled "Took my RX8 to the grocery store today and it ran beautifully" have you seen?

We have updated results for the RX-8 to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 101, about average, but close to "worse than average"

2004: 67, about average, but close to "better than average"

Condensation in the tail lights is the most common repair, by far, followed by ignition coils. A couple of complete engine replacements after the recall inspection. I suspect that the repair rate for the 2005s is higher because owners are getting those tail lights taken care of right before the warranty ends, while owners of the 2004s are more likely to live with the problem rather than pay to fix it.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

I realise you already have a fair chunk of data and I'm hardly going to blaze new trails; but I am of the opinion that my RX-8 is the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Being brutally honest, these are the problems I've had:
  • ignition coils failed at approximately 45K miles
  • parking brake handle foot broke off, received the new version which lasted 2 years before breaking in the same spot
  • condensation in the rear lights (will be getting the new gaskets and expect that to take care of the issue
  • rear oxygen sensor failed around 48K miles
  • battery supposedly failed but stealership offered no proof which, amongst other issues is why I only buy parts from them

I've never had it fail to start.
I've never had leakage from rain (that really annoyed me with my '94 Honda - will NEVER have another Honda)
It kept my family and I perfectly safe after I lost two tires on the same side simultaneously while at highway speeds (which is why I switched from the OEM Bridgestones to Pirelli runflats).

I am the original owner. My RX-8 is a late production model from 2004 and was already fit with the larger battery and starter.

What month was yours built? How many miles? Is there a way to see if the larger battery and alternator are in mine? Just bought a 2004 from 4/04. Thanks.

We have updated results for the RX-8 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 88, about average

2004: 65, better than average

As noted last time: condensation in the tail lights is the most common repair, by far, followed by ignition coils. A couple of complete engine replacements after the recall inspection. I suspect that the repair rate for the 2005s is higher because owners are getting those tail lights taken care of right before the warranty ends, while owners of the 2004s are more likely to live with the problem rather than pay to fix it.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Back