Mazda RX-8 reliability

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? Ill also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

To help out, the owner of this forum has been rotating a TrueDelta banner. Thanks, Antoine.

I'm especially interested in providing reliability information on the RX-8 for two reasons:
--many people wonder about the reliability of the rotary
--on my recommendation, my father bought a 2005, which I'll probably end up buying from him

So far I'm collecting data on the 2004. I need more participants signed up before I can start with more recent years.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Keep in mind that at least in Calgary I am the exception but as far as reliability goes....it has sucked. It's too bad because I love the car otherwise.
Here is a partial list of what I have had done to my RX8:

1) Engine replaced.......TWICE
2) three sets of brake calipers because of squeal
3) 3 airbag replacements
4) both seat warmers replaced
5) A leaking fuel injector fixed.

There are more things but I can't recall them at the moment. My car has spent far too much time in the shop. It's almost to the point that when I walk in the door to the service area at kramer Mazda, they just throw me the keys to the CX7 loaner.

Just hit 36K miles. It's perfect. Had both tail lamps replaced under warranty due to the common condensation issue.

i guess it just happens that one out of so many will be just a lemon. hey if your car is breaking so much you should look up the lemon laws to see if you qualify. you might get a new rx8 out of it. lol you never know.

The funny thing is no one posts about there cars being wonderfully reliable we only get the stuff that goes wrong. there are two sides to the story.

That's what my research is for. People respond with an approximate odometer reading at the end of each quarter even if they've had no problems. And most people do report no problems, with any car.

2004 MT GT w/everything but GPS. Before 1000 miles it had to go back to the shop for re-flashimg of the EMU. Check engine light was coming up. At 24000, Gas tank cap was replaced because of the engine light and solved the problem.

EMU has been reflashed twice more but when I brought it back for routine service.

Appart from that, cosmetics, both sunshades replaced twice! (warrany of course!).

Ahh... changed tires too when it was 20000...

I just love my RX-8 and still have found a car that would make me think of changing it.

Just three owners short of the minimum needed to get started for the 2005. Collecting data already on the 2004, but might not have enough responses to post a result with the next update, in November. More participants would be very helpful for all years.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

Vehicle reliability research

Started with the 2005 last month, but at the bare minimum. More participants still very much needed, for all model years.

There have clearly been some RX8's out there that either were lemon vehicles or just had issues from the factory.

I've owned my 2005 BB which is the MT 6 port since 125 miles. I'm now at 44,000 miles and had my compression testes a couple thousand ago. My motor is still pulling very strong numbers. It's daily driven and I have a lot of modifications but not a ton of engine or power mods. I've pre-mixed using Idemitsu for the last 10,000 miles and I drive the car pretty hard. It's seen plenty of twisty driving here in Phoenix.

I've had a couple flashes, my visor and arm rest replaced, also had the air pump replaced and my brake pads changed out. I also have the updated motor mounts. I might have the tranny rebuilt but otherwise it works fine.

Is the car perfect? No. But I've not had 90% of the reported issues and I drive the hell out of my rotary. At this point I'd buy another one.

I don't own one but my buddy just replaced his stock clutch and when it was removed it basically looked like garbage. Something in there went horribly wrong. Regardless I would STILL own an RX-8 any day. Sexy cars.

I don't own one but my buddy just replaced his stock clutch and when it was removed it basically looked like garbage. Something in there went horribly wrong. Regardless I would STILL own an RX-8 any day. Sexy cars.

Did he buy it new? What were the miles on the car and how did he drive it? Did he ever drop the clutch or slip-it to take off quickly. You might not know and would have to ask him.

Keep in mind that at least in Calgary I am the exception but as far as reliability goes....it has sucked. It's too bad because I love the car otherwise.
Here is a partial list of what I have had done to my RX8:

1) Engine replaced.......TWICE
2) three sets of brake calipers because of squeal
3) 3 airbag replacements
4) both seat warmers replaced
5) A leaking fuel injector fixed.

There are more things but I can't recall them at the moment. My car has spent far too much time in the shop. It's almost to the point that when I walk in the door to the service area at kramer Mazda, they just throw me the keys to the CX7 loaner.

how was your engine replaced twice?

I know this is an old thread; but, I'll inject something, anyway. We've had our RX-8 for a year. Not very many miles on it, yet. We did have to replace the left visor. Weak seam. Other than that, it's been flawless. My wife drives it, most of the time. The service manager at the dealer we bought the car from said most of the car's problems are caused by the owners. They don't understand the car. We researched the car quite a bit before we bought one. Other than the poor gas mileage, it's a nice car. I may change my mind after we get some miles on it; but, maybe not.

Search the forum and you'll find many people with the visor issue. Not a major problem, obviously.

The dealer is probably referring to the number of owners who flood the car. DO NOT shut it off soon after starting it cold.

Search the forum and you'll find many people with the visor issue. Not a major problem, obviously.

The dealer is probably referring to the number of owners who flood the car. DO NOT shut it off soon after starting it cold.

Yeah, I found a service bulletin on the visors. It has not been a problem since we replaced it.

We've not had the flooding problem. I've turned the car off cold and hot. Used the proper technique and the worst conditions technique. It starts every time. I've noticed it stumbles a little when it's cold; but, it smooths out in a minute, or so. My wife has not complained one time. She gets in it and goes. I run it a little hard through the gears, from time to time, to clear things out because I know she won't do it, even though I've told her it's a thing she needs to do. She's the primary driver of the car; so, I don't get to drive it often.

how was your engine replaced twice?

first engine blew after a month and a half...they replaced it with another new engine from japan. Second engine blew 1.5 years later. The replacement this time was a remanufactured engine out of the U.S.

Back