Changing from ball bearing to journal bearing got ?'s

Shadow102

:
2013 CWP MS3 / 1977 Celica GT
Ok well my turbo is officially drinking oil and its only a matter of time before it rly dies on me or something worse happens i have decided to change it. In searching for turbos i have come across a t25 from a early 90's bluebird sr20det. I have decided to use this since A. its only $100 and works B. the A/R on the exhaust housing is bigger(not sure about the intake) C. is non-ball bearing for a slower spool (yes i want a slower spool) D. I can send my old housings out and my friend can get me a killer deal on a frankin turbo he has been selling to alot of SR20 customers. E. Did i mention its $100?

btw here are the specs of the turbo:
T-25, 60 trim 56mm BCI-1 compressor, 53.8mm 62 trim
T-25 turbine, .64 A/R turbine housing. Journal
bearings.

My questions is about the oil delievery to this turbo. I know the t25r on the car now runs dual ball bearings and if i am not mistaken runs an oil restrictor so to not blow the seals out on the bearing. Now this T25 i am getting runs journal bearing an i am not sure if i should still run the stock restrictor (i am thinking not) but if not running the restrictor is a good idea what should i run as far as a oil feed line?

Why the hell would you want a slower spool ?? Ever drive a bone stock sr20det car? Its a pig...

To answer your question, the stock MSP turbo doesn't need a restrictor because the oil pressure is too low when driving for it to damage the bearing as per ATP turbo (yes I asked and emailed them)...

If you were to reroute your feed line, you can try to use the stock setup and adapt it to the T25 (same basic housing I think) or just get an Oil inlet fitting (-4AN) from ATP turbo for a T25 and install. Pick up a 4 or 5 foot -4AN stainless braided hose and connect it to the back of the block.

Mind you, I have never seen the back of a MSP block and don't know where the stock feed comes from. I just know it comes through an oil cooler unit.

I have a LX converted to a MSP setup and I used a heavy duty T fitting 1/8" NPT (thanks to Speed Circuit) and teed off the oil pressure sensor (round thing on the back of the block, above the oil filter, with a small wire and clip going to it). Make sure you use thread lock on all threads!! Good luck.

Maz2001MP said:
Why the hell would you want a slower spool ?? Ever drive a bone stock sr20det car? Its a pig...

To answer your question, the stock MSP turbo doesn't need a restrictor because the oil pressure is too low when driving for it to damage the bearing as per ATP turbo (yes I asked and emailed them)...

If you were to reroute your feed line, you can try to use the stock setup and adapt it to the T25 (same basic housing I think) or just get an Oil inlet fitting (-4AN) from ATP turbo for a T25 and install. Pick up a 4 or 5 foot -4AN stainless braided hose and connect it to the back of the block.

Mind you, I have never seen the back of a MSP block and don't know where the stock feed comes from. I just know it comes through an oil cooler unit.

I have a LX converted to a MSP setup and I used a heavy duty T fitting 1/8" NPT (thanks to Speed Circuit) and teed off the oil pressure sensor (round thing on the back of the block, above the oil filter, with a small wire and clip going to it). Make sure you use thread lock on all threads!! Good luck.

thanks for the info and yeah i am looking for a little slower spool because with the 15" wheels traction is non exsistant in 1st and most of second. Plus the housings are larger so i believe the turbo will be a little more effeicent. and like is said $100 for the turbo lol. But yeah before i put it on i am going to check the line routing and see if i can use the stock feed lines

I think we discussed this in the other thread, but I'm running 50psi (hot) through my T3, and no problems. It's Journal bearing.

Shadow102 said:
thanks for the info and yeah i am looking for a little slower spool because with the 15" wheels traction is non exsistant in 1st and most of second. Plus the housings are larger so i believe the turbo will be a little more effeicent. and like is said $100 for the turbo lol. But yeah before i put it on i am going to check the line routing and see if i can use the stock feed lines

The cure for your traction problems lies in your right foot.

thepepperman said:
The cure for your traction problems lies in your right foot.

ahh i wish that was the answer but sadly no. even with throttle modulation 1st gear is pointless

Shadow102 said:
ahh i wish that was the answer but sadly no. even with throttle modulation 1st gear is pointless

Even with the slower spool (just put a turboback on my friend's sr20det 240sx last night) the car still spools around 4 grand. First gear is quick anyway and you will still probably have some traction problems with a slow spool, once the turbo kicks you'll spin em' up.

My first gear is super pointless. I have a Fidanza flywheel and RR Racing UDP (which I might want to take off and sell) on top of the turbo and even at half throttle the tires spin lol. Its so bad I couldnt even race someone from a dig if I wanted to. If I floor it, I hit redline in a matter if half a second and sometimes I hit 6800 - 7000 by accident (boom03)

I didn't have any issues with my other turbo (journal bearing). It was not that big on lag but when it hit you could definately feel it unlike the stock MSP turbo that is so gradual that it feels like it's almost not there. The oil feed worked fine with not restrictors just an adaptor to fit on to a T3 which is just a bigger size.

ever think of throwing a t28 hotside on while you have the turbo out of the car? Should be a pretty inexpensive upgade to either the t25 or t25r if you can find someone to assemble it locally/

Sorry for the n00bish question and a little OT but what do you mean when you say your turbo is "drinking oil"?

magnumP5 said:
Sorry for the n00bish question and a little OT but what do you mean when you say your turbo is "drinking oil"?

oil is leaking through the cartridge seal and burning up in the exhaust

Shadow102 said:
oil is leaking through the cartridge seal and burning up in the exhaust
Ah just curious because I'm burning quite a bit of oil with no leaks and I'm just trying to find out what might be causing it. How can you tell is the cartridge seal is gone, blue smoke?

Yeah it will smoke pretty bad under throtle. If it gets bad enough it will smoke at idle.

Back