rear diff loose...very loose! broken..at dealer.

:
Mazdaspeed6
so i took my speed6 into a mazda dealership. it had started to clunk quite bad, whenever the rear diff would engage. and by clunk, sometimes i mean slam! before i took it in i reached under my car and grabbed the driveline (thinking it was play in the yoke or something) and attempted to twist the driveline..it was tight with no play, but in doing so i happened to pull the diff to the side....

ya you read that right..the differential wiggles about 3" or more from side to side!!

and the slam..i'm pretty sure was the diff actually moving far enough to hit the exhaust that runs nearby..as well as probably my rear axles getting tore up, and who knows what other amounts of damage were caused.

good news is, its under warranty.

bad news is, they are taking forever...and i'm worried they won't look everything over for damage, and it will catch up about when my warranty is up lol.

the tech called yesterday and told me that "some bolts inside the diff sheared off"..i asked him simply how that happens, and how bolts INSIDE the diff secure it in place.."i don't know"...(rlaugh)...so instead of calling him a helpless little biaatch, i asked him how long it would be to fix everything involved..."um..well it'll be atleast tomorrow before i can look at it"...??? i went in a week ago! i set an appointment for 7 a.m. a week later! its no wonder they were behind over a week, they are a bunch of f******* idiots.

anyways i'll let you know, how they fix it, and what they fixed...and what the problem was. considering i doubt the bolts inside of the diff case were really what was holding my diff in place.

oh and on a side note, this issue made it very obvious to me how often our rear diff is engaged and pushing power to the rear wheels. it is constant from the point of clutch engage, until you push the clutch in to shift. and if you shift well enough (not too fast, just a good solid quick shift) the rear diff won't disengage usually. so true AWD?? true enough for me! it is so damn near instantaneous, that i was quite impressed.

has anyone heard of anything like this? i noticed in another thread that someone had problems with there rear axle CV, but i haven't heard of the rear differential coming loose...or breaking loose. and being able to slide back and forth between the two axles...

k so i've been called back by the dealership 1 time each day since i took it in. and each time they tell me it will be finished tomorrow, its almost done they just have to finish it up first thing "tomorrow"

which is fine, i'd love to have my car by tomorrow...which was two days ago..and then yesterday..and then today....
and now MONDAY!

ya monday, as it turns out they still hadn't even looked at it until today. they didn't even know if the bolts were sheared like they told me.
today they told me that my differential case had cracked, and that they wont have one in til monday even with over night shipping...which would get it there by tomorrow at noon...so i still don't understand where they are pulling monday out of.

bottom line is..if they would have started my car on tuesday..they could have had a new diff in my wednesday, and intalled it by today! ..or even better yet, they could have looked at it the week before when i was told i had to make an appointment...(appointments are to save ppl time...not to make them think they are going to be served at the time of appointment but still just keep their car as if there were no appointment btw) then ordered it and had this whole week to install it.

so...$*#! mazda..and their weak a$$ rear diffs
peace to all else

damn sorry to hear about all your trouble. I know there are a lot of cars running around with no problems. Good luck getting the car fixed.

PRacing said:
I NEED YOUR HELP!

PM Sent :)

i sent you an email, it includes all the paperwork i received from my dealership.

sorry though, i couldn't read that thread you had a link to, i guess even PM's are filtered for other forum links.

i hope you don't have any major issues, it should be covered under warranty with no problems...

Back