life expectancy...

fr0st

:
2003.5 yellow msp
of the stock turbocharger...

i see poeple blowing them up on msp's.... whats curious is we don't see much DSM cars turbo blowing up (i've been around alot) or others as well..

is this an illusion ?

i mean it's a garrett right? not a cheap crappy turbo...

we see some blow as early at 30 000 miles ( even less?) i mean a turbo charger is supposed to have (what i've heard) atleast 100 000 miles.. some even say it's supposed to last the life of the car (dealers version)

now if on a saab,DSM, or a volvo the turbo, IMO SEEMS to last alot longer and have less problems? what gives ?? (uhm)

is it because of the way we drive those msp's ? is it too much abuse? either way, if you accelerate in a moderately way with a volvo 850 turbo, the turbo will spool and rev at 1????? rpms and get full boost.. if we do the same with a msp , same result.

the turbo itself is watercooled and is a very good unit.. or is it?(uhm)

is it the way we maintenance the car ? the oil we use?

i let idle the car a good 3-4 minutes evertime i start it in the morning when the temp is higher than 50 degrees.. and this winter when it was freaking cold (-20 F) i would let the car idle for like 20-25 minutes. and even then the temp needle was barely up the cold line.

i let the car idle 30 sec everytime i stop the car.

i use RP oil 5W30 in winter and 10W30(40?) in summer

so good oil, good maintenance, and letting idle like it suposed to be..

so the problem is ??? can anybody shine some light on this situation? is it the turbo itself? is it the way we "use" it ? is the lack of manintenance?

please discuss :D

I say if you maintain the car properly and continue shutting it down the way you are it should be good for 120k to 150k. IMO

I didn't know that many people were having turbo problems. I know there are a lot of engine problems.

The turbo should last as long as your engine does with good maintenance (which it seems you have covered).

you're idling the car too much IMHO.

The car warms up faster by driving it (easily) then just idling it.

in canada is that way in usa we idle :)

you're supposed to idle instead of driving off with no worming up , but than again there's ppl that don't do it and have problems .

My cousing from canada said the same, he doesn't worm up the car , but I wont take that chance dude.

idle first, then drive slow until everything gets to operating temperature (takes more than 5 minutes)

should last for a long time

also, synthetic

It might be maintenance related or it could be the turbo is over spun and damages the beraing. Either will kill any turbo.

JCell said:
idle first, then drive slow until everything gets to operating temperature (takes more than 5 minutes)

should last for a long time

also, synthetic

Yeah.. if you don't give it at least a few minutes, the oil pressure will shoot up way high, no good.

i think more people have problems with the wastegate failing than the actual turbo itself failing.

mspHtown said:
i think more people have problems with the wastegate failing than the actual turbo itself failing.
Well mine made it over 120,000 before I burned a ring and it still runs well (allthough I do need to do a couple things to it to HOPEFULLY drive it a bit longer.)
My turbo has had the Nick treatment and it was fine at 104,000 when I upgraded it. The car itslef has been fine I just pushed it a litle too hard for a little too long at crazy (for stock block) power levels.
My wastegate actuator failed and it caused a HUGE boost increase over 20PSI my gauge stops there so I can't tell exactly how high it went.

you idle to get the oil, and other fluids flowing. Once that is done drive normally. Not like a racer, just normal. Idleing just wastes gas.
@ idle you get 0mpg.

msp35 said:
you idle to get the oil, and other fluids flowing. Once that is done drive normally. Not like a racer, just normal. Idleing just wastes gas.
@ idle you get 0mpg.

yeah but in very cold weather, you need to get oil in the right temperature for flowing with the right viscosity... to thick can damage turbo bearing too ..

thats why i let it idle on warmup..

use your block heater in the winter time. If its really cold (-25c) I will plug my car in for 1/2 hour before I start it, the cars temps seem to rise to operating temp much faster after that and the start up is smooth.

CRZbrussian said:
in dsm the motor/tranny goes before the turbo lol

omg lol (headbang)

but +1 for engine block heater. It's essential in the winter, and even right now it is nice. Today it was in the low 70s but in the AM it was 40 and the block heater would have been nice. I just don't know where the plug is anymore after the accident.. it isn't hiding where I used to store it :p

Back