Have their been multiple "power recall campaigns"?

aaragon

:
2006 Velocity Red MS6 GT
Hey Guys,

I bought my Speed6 about 4 weeks ago. Its a used 06 with 4000 miles bought from a local dealership. I had been reading about this recall and figured that mine had already been "flashed" since i bought it from a dealer and all. However, today I received a the "Lack of Power recall Campaign" notice in the mail. Has Mazda issued more than one of these recalls or should I assume that my dealer never did the recall in the first place?

I'm a bit reluctant to take it in because I dont think that I suffer from a "loose of power" I realize that may sound strange but I traded in a 95 civic which always had a loss of power...lol. .. and this car feels like it has power all the time. Can someone tell me exactly what I should be looking for with a "Lack of Power" issue?

Also, where I live (nothern Virginia) I have yet to find anything over 91 Octane and If I understand this recall its supposed to address certain issues that result from using less than 93 octane, is that correct?

Anyway, Im just trying to decide whether I should get this "modification" or leave my car as is.

Thanks,
Aaragon

I'd say don't do it unless you have power lose problems. and trust me when you have one you'll know.

You will probably be OK untill the warmer summer months, basically when you accelerate and the the motor "knocks" a couple of times the ECU goes into "Oh my f-ing god save me" mode. This restricts the amount that the throttle plate can open. So if you floor it the plate will only open 33% and it will feel like a grandma using a walker moves faster. :D

If you get the recall Mazda will mess with the timing and adjust the knock sensor, all of this pulls a little power from the car. Nobody knows exactly how much power is removed, but it is noticeable.

It seems they will do the reflash regardless if you ask them for it or not. It automatically pops up when you take it in for service, at least it did for me. I dont really remember feeling a loss though to be honest, some people claim to though. Also Im suprised they only have 91 in NOVA, I stay here in the DC metro area(live in MD work in DC) and everywhere I go between here in there has 87, 89, then jumps directly to 93.

Armyguy1104 said:
It seems they will do the reflash regardless if you ask them for it or not. It automatically pops up when you take it in for service, at least it did for me. I dont really remember feeling a loss though to be honest, some people claim to though. Also Im suprised they only have 91 in NOVA, I stay here in the DC metro area(live in MD work in DC) and everywhere I go between here in there has 87, 89, then jumps directly to 93.

Maybe Ill look at little closer in DC...I work at the Navy Yard. Although, in the Fort Belvoir area of NOVA I have yet to run across it but maybe i need to expand my search area a bit ;)

i noticed the lack of power on the second day I owned the car. The difference between my initial test drive and the next day after running this s*** out of it was substantial. The dealership claimed that they accidentally used low octane fuel and this was the problem. I replaced the tank with 93 and a week later still had the problem. A month later I heard about the recall. Problem solved.

aaragon said:
Maybe Ill look at little closer in DC...I work at the Navy Yard. Although, in the Fort Belvoir area of NOVA I have yet to run across it but maybe i need to expand my search area a bit ;)

I have no problem finding 93 octane in Prince William County. I'm not sure why Fairfax County would be any different. I'm pretty sure they have 93 at the Navy Exchange Citgo by the Pentagon, too.

does anyone know if cpe or xede engine management system fixes this because i still havent got the reflash and plan not to.

SteveJ said:
I have no problem finding 93 octane in Prince William County. I'm not sure why Fairfax County would be any different. I'm pretty sure they have 93 at the Navy Exchange Citgo by the Pentagon, too.

Really? Huh, I live on Fort Belvoir and neither of the stations there use 93. Ive tried a couple up and down Rt 1... maybe I just haven't found the right one. Thanks for the info though ;)

aaragon said:
Really? Huh, I live on Fort Belvoir and neither of the stations there use 93. Ive tried a couple up and down Rt 1... maybe I just haven't found the right one. Thanks for the info though ;)

The navy exhange here in at NNMC uses 93 also. Im not sure about the pumps at Forest Glenn since its out of the way more so than NNMC.

I guess the bottom line is that the re-flash affects some cars negatively while others, positively.

Earlier this year I attended a Speed6 Dyno day.
Here are two results that may explain a little:

bhp wtq
MazdaSpeed 6, without re-flash - 257 305
MazdaSpeed 6, with re-flash - 230 298

Both these cars have after market BOV and CAI.

The dyno graphs are posted on another forum.

Certainly not conclusive evidence, but evidence non the less of what a re-flash could/might do to your car.

Last edited:
Back