Wire your Radar Detector to the lighter (MS3 only)

BlackJack

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT (gone :()
After the detector cable has been bothering me(stickied to the side of the center console which bothers my leg), I went into the dash and basically cut the two lighter cords and attached the two mini wires in the detector cord to 'em.

What you will need:
-Phillips Screwdriver
-Splice or Spring connectors(22 to 16 gauge)
-Cutters(Crimper is always a good idea)

Overview:
IMG_0698.JPG

Basically, you will take out everything in the center you see there. However, you do not have to take out the radio, only if you want to see where the radar wire will go.

Here we go...
Okay, let's get started.

IMG_0699.JPG

Take out the gray bezel thingy that covers all the neccessary screws in the center. It simply snaps off with the shorter end sliding to the left. Just snap the whole thing off and it will slide off as well.

IMG_0709.JPG

Start by unscrewing the top set(black) of screws holding the top vent cover. You will need to do this as this is where the wire will go down to.
Couple of options here: You can take out the radio from here (bottom set of screws, silver) OR just go at it blindy and hope the wire will go down to the bottom near the lighter. Your choice.

3. Moving on!
IMG_0710.JPG

Unscrew the shift knob and then flip the little storage thingy/smoker's storage so that the whole shift panel can snap off easy. The problem with this is that the back center has two plugs which attaches to the shift panel. This can be done by snapping the front part of the back console panel so you can have room to fully snap off the shift panel.

4. Getting there...
IMG_0708.JPG

Unscrew the two screws shown and then easily snap off the lighter panel. Note here that you will need to give it a little pull by grasping inside the lighter.

5. Finally!
IMG_0700.JPG

Take the black and orange wires and simply cut 'em up in the middle! I tore off some of the black stuff because it was forbiding me from cutting the wires so just tear up some of the black s*** so you can move it around more.

6. Going for the radar...
IMG_0702.JPG

Now, the detector cord had two wires inside. Mine were black and pink(ghey). What I did was to get the grey spring connectors and took the pink wire attached to the orange and screwed 'em! Same thing goes for the other side: Attach the three and screw the spring in.

That's it. Test it and then if a success, put everything back.

What I did for the wire leading out of the vent cover panel was to make a little hole at the top so the panel would be able to fit in there just fine.
IMG_0703.JPG

You're all set! Feel free to test the detector to make sure it works. If so, congratulations! If not, it takes a little time to play with the wiring to get all three wires inside the little spring.

when u turn the car off...the radar turn off too right...just as if it was plugged into the cig lighter?

You can still hook up the wireless plug to the socket if you're planning on hiding it that is.

Back