Wife got hit on the freeway in the CX-7 :(

offset_98

Just in December she got T-boned which caused us to go buy our CX-7 and now, just 4 1/2 months later or CX-7 gets a pummeling. :( She was sitting in traffic when some jerk in a Lexus ES nailed her from behind forcing her into a Silverado w/ a hitch. The Lexus stopped so fast a Buick Century nailed him pushing him back into the CX-7 again. I only have two pics but you can kind of see that the sheet metal bends all the way to the rear driver's door pushing everything on that rear side out of proportion. The hatch is bent, both bumpers are gone, the hood has a bend...it makes me sick.

Thankfully, no one was injured? Yes? Hope that's the case.

I've suffered from some horrible accidents in my life, so I know the feeling...just a raw feeling, pissed, angry. I love my Copper CX-7 and wipe it down daily and fret over the latest swirl mark, so seeing my baby all mangled up would just drive me nuts. I'd rather have a tooth extracted :'(

Well, hang in there guy....let the insurance companies and law enforcement do their thing. Your car will get restored (hopefully. Unfortunately, it'll never be "new" again). My heart's out to you and your family!

Vince.

offset_98 said:
Just in December she got T-boned which caused us to go buy our CX-7 and now, just 4 1/2 months later or CX-7 gets a pummeling. :( She was sitting in traffic when some jerk in a Lexus ES nailed her from behind forcing her into a Silverado w/ a hitch. The Lexus stopped so fast a Buick Century nailed him pushing him back into the CX-7 again. I only have two pics but you can kind of see that the sheet metal bends all the way to the rear driver's door pushing everything on that rear side out of proportion. The hatch is bent, both bumpers are gone, the hood has a bend...it makes me sick.

That's a lottttt of broken stuff right there. I wouldn't be totally shocked if it was totalled (which is absolutely in your best interest.. as much as you may have loved the car, it'll never be back to "new", ever.. and even if a body shop didn't screw you over and got it back looking new, you'll never be able to get decent money for the car when you go to sell it.

Kansei said:
That's a lottttt of broken stuff right there. I wouldn't be totally shocked if it was totalled (which is absolutely in your best interest.. as much as you may have loved the car, it'll never be back to "new", ever.. and even if a body shop didn't screw you over and got it back looking new, you'll never be able to get decent money for the car when you go to sell it.
That car is nowhere near totaled but it still sucks. A few years back, the rear end of my Mustang got destroyed by an F-250 and they still repaired it. For the car to be totaled, the damage has to exceed 2/3 or 3/4 of the car's value (or something like that, it may vary by state).

Anyway, sorry to see the CX-7 damaged like that... make sure to ask the insurance company about filing a claim for loss of value of the vehicle - I got $1800 for my Mustang.

Man, that really sucks. I am sorry to hear about your incident.

The damage on my car was just a light scratch relative to that CX-7 and I was nearly totalled. My damage was really localized.. just front corner. It didn't even push the fender back or damage hood latches or front grilles.. nothing ever touched the wheel or bent the frame or anything. body work is expensive!

Yeah, my wife is ok...she's had a headache all day today so I'm thinking we might hit the doctor tonight. Other then that we're good. I definately don't think the car is totalled. There might be a few thousand dollars damage there but no where near the 75% Nevada requires. There'd have to be like $20k damage on it for that. I'll let you guys know the cost whenever I take it over to the shop. Its sitting in the garage until further notice as I don't really want her to drive it since she says its pulling to the right.

Thanks for the concern all!!

offset_98 said:

I don't know how old you are, but some day you'll realize that it's just a car. All cars eventually end up in a junkyard, some sooner than others.

I'm an old guy, 57. My wife and I have had about 4 cars hit during the past 35 years. I learned that as long as nobody was hurt, things were OK. You can always get another car.

Count your blessings. The car's job is to sacrifice its life to save yours. You should be grateful.

Vision67 said:
I don't know how old you are, but some day you'll realize that it's just a car. All cars eventually end up in a junkyard, some sooner than others.

I'm an old guy, 57. My wife and I have had about 4 cars hit during the past 35 years. I learned that as long as nobody was hurt, things were OK. You can always get another car.

Count your blessings. The car's job is to sacrifice its life to save yours. You should be grateful.

You're reading too far into this. I'd give the car up anyday to make sure my wife is ok. She is ok and the baby inside her is ok...after that was cleared up, I'm pretty sure it was ok I get steamed about the fact that Las Vegas drivers can't drive and that my new car got hit just after my former car was totalled.

There's easily 7-10k+ in damage there. Also with the location of the hit I'd be curious about the rear left suspension being intact.

Have the drivers seat checked to make sure that didn't break. It happened to one of the other CX-7's that got hit from behind.

I feel your pain. I got rear-ended in my MS6 only a few weeks after I got it. Wasn't even on the highway...just a traffic light less than a mile from my home. Light turned green...guy in front wasn't paying attention (caused some people to roll forward and stop). I never moved and the guy came up from behind and just plowed into me as if we were all moving forward to pass through the light. Dunno what was going through his head.

Let this be a friendly reminder to all...accidents happen when your eyes are off the road..even for just a second. Use a hands/eyes free device for your phone or don't talk on the phone in the car. Don't drink coffee, change the radio, or anything else without getting a proper reading of your surroundings. And for crying out loud, don't tailgate. So what if someone cuts you off...you'll still get there at the same time even if you are 3 cars back due to assholes who need to be in your lane.

1Sleepy93 said:
There's easily 7-10k+ in damage there. Also with the location of the hit I'd be curious about the rear left suspension being intact.

Have the drivers seat checked to make sure that didn't break. It happened to one of the other CX-7's that got hit from behind.

No doubt your estimate is close, maybe even conservative. As I reported here in another thread, costs to repair our damaged CX-7 liftgate totaled $3,516.00.

eek...I'm surprised you guys all think its so much. Is it b/c the vehicle is still relatively new and parts aren't readily available?

Body work is a b****, plus if there was any damage to the engine bay (radiator, engine mounts, etc.), the dollars add up quickly. They're probably going to want to repaint the whole car to boot. 10k easy...

My rear-end job mentioned above cost $3200 to fix. That was just for a bumper assembly and paint job. (Velocity Red is tough to match btw)

offset_98 said:
eek...I'm surprised you guys all think its so much. Is it b/c the vehicle is still relatively new and parts aren't readily available?

Body work is expsensive like others have mentioned. Also the car is new so parts are a little bit harder to come by and not to mention cost much more. Not to mention all the cutting, welding, and painting thats going to be needed on the rear end. Thats not even getting into the possabilies of the front end damage

keep us all informed as to how much this cost to repair that car is F*** Up. But dam dude twice? in term of accidents hummmmmmmm.

Hope the wifey is ok be thankful you have each other & alive. Car is always last you and your fam come #1

Back