WTF....clunk on hard accel or off quickly

DSMConvert

AWD...say Bye Bye
:
Titanium MS6
OK so I go to back the car out of my buddy's driveway and notice that the car is clunking everything im get on and off the gas while in reverse....so just figured it was the rear rotors catching the surface rust since the dew had set a few hrs earlier...then the whole way home everytime i get on the throttle hard the damn clunk is so bad it shakes the whole car.. This is happening everytime I get on the gas hard or let off in the higher rpms... Checked the rear bolts and they don't appear to be broken, but I couldnt get under the car far enough to see if the actual braket is broken. I did some searches and it seems the the axle breaking and/or the bracket cracking are fairly common. Any input if this is the case would be greatly appreciated and/or pics of the areas. The dealer is a 1.5hr drive so if something big is wrong I don't want to attempt to make the drive down there and really **** something up.... Gah go figure I leave the car stock and it breaks anyways...

*taken from another board*
As it appears this is more than an isolated incident, I would like for anyone who has had a problem with broken axles/bolts/mounting brackets, etc., to post in this thread. This way we can form a crude database of issues and solutions to help those in need later.

From what i have read on other forums..sounds like your bolts for rear differntial are coming loose..seems to be common problem with this car.

PM me for more details!

-C

Yea I just got back from being under there..bolts are tight(by hand anyways) and whole...none of the brackets are cracked or broken... I'm kinda stumped now...I pmed ya anways...

putting it up on the lift in a few minutes once it cools down to take a look. I'm thinking that its just the diff bolts coming loose on the rear bracket since that seems to be a common problem from what I could find on searches. I'm gonna check the mounts too though just to make sure. If its a busted mount it might just be enough persuasion to go ahead and upgrade to a SU mount. I'll post up tonight with what I found. It just irritates me that a damn $35K car is starting to break after only 4 months. If I raced or beat the piss out of this thing I could understand, but i drive this thing 3 miles to work and back....grrr. I was going to take it the track here next week, but if its going to break stock, I don't even want to mess with the possibility of whats going to happen if I actually embrace the "zoom zoom" philosophy that mazda preaches...

well chalk one up to stupidity...Chaz drove it home from Orlando over the weekend and forgot to mention she had 2 on-board air tanks for the jeeps in the trunk.... Get it up in the air can't find anything wrong, so I got to open the trunk to get out my other tools and there are 2 70lb tanks sitting in the back hitting against eachother... take them out... and amazingly no more clunk... So I ended the day with a beer...

DSMConvert said:
well chalk one up to stupidity...Chaz drove it home from Orlando over the weekend and forgot to mention she had 2 on-board air tanks for the jeeps in the trunk.... Get it up in the air can't find anything wrong, so I got to open the trunk to get out my other tools and there are 2 70lb tanks sitting in the back hitting against eachother... take them out... and amazingly no more clunk... So I ended the day with a beer...

those are the best fixes. ones that were never a problem to begin with :)

DSMConvert said:
(evil)

Back