door lock actuator

MSP_4_CODY said:
anyone else have one go out? cause mine took a crap on me today

I think one of mine are gonna take a dook soon. I heard a weird irratic whining/whistling noise when I locked the doors while inside my car. I was able to reproduce it intermittently while I was still sitting there, but haven't heard it since.

I had two go out, both driver side doors. In one the motor died, in the other the plastic gear snapped. So I took them apart and matched up the working parts so now the rear one works and the front doesnt at all. Oh well, not paying $100 for a new one.

My car just crossed out of warranty and the passenger door lock crapped out followed by the rear pass door lock!!! Wha????!!! Really? $100 to fix one?

Last edited:
its 100 for each lock motor/actuator. you could just go to the junk yard and pull one though, its pretty easy if you can find your generation car. Also, you might could piece together enough parts from the two to make one of them work. Thats what I did. The plastic gear was broken on one and it made a sound like it was trying to work, clicking a whole lot. The other just did nothing because the motor was dead. So I combinded the good motor with the good gear and made the back door work. My driver door does not work, but I open that with a key anyways so it doesnt really matter.

lock actuator

Mine still make noise, so from your description, maybe the gears went bad. Your junkyard idea is a good one! Thanks man.

Dave

Here is a pic of the plastic piece that is probably broken. It is what broke on me, and on another member who posted in the below thread. If you can find this at a junk yard, you just replace the plastic gear and you are good as new.

door%20actuator.jpg

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123661122&highlight=lock+actuator

Last edited:
Well, I dont have a MSP, but my protege was fairly easy. You just take out a few screws, the arm rest, and then pull. This tool from Advanced Auto (or an auto store) may help too:

t70606.jpg

I just replaced mine on monday, bought the car on the previous friday :( but they are easy to replace, just make sure you have a dentists mirror, (drivers side door for me)the little ones that see around corners, when you take the door panel off it will be next to the actual locking mechanism that holds the door shut, it is a little black box that sits at the bottom of the lock, and it is held in by two gold colored screws, you undo the wrong screws and you will have a fun project to do...but when you take off the black box it is about 2" tall and wide, grab the new one(mine was $115) and reverse take out

bringing back the thread. haha about 3 months ago my right rear door lock actuator broke. and now my drivers side one did.

but of course now my car is out of warranty. grrrrrrr so stupid. but yeah the service advisor said its common in the msp :[

my front passenger actuator quit working. i took it out. nothing appeared broken. so i gave it a shot of wd-40 and its been working ever since.

hmmm nice, yeah its my driver door too, and it makes an awefull noise lol. so i dont think wd-40 is gonna help too much

hmmm nice, yeah its my driver door too, and it makes an awefull noise lol. so i dont think wd-40 is gonna help too much

yea obviously mine wasnt broken or the wd-40 wouldnt have fixed it. i was just sharing my problems with the locks as well!

Back