Petition for Motor Mount Failure "Sticky" - Its an important issue!

**EDITED, important info**
5/1/07
All those whom this has happened to, respond to me, or PM me. I'm working with an NHTSA investigator right now, at this exact time. I need your help.

Stephen McHenry
Investigator, US D.O.T.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation
NVS-213 Room 5326-B
400 7th Street S.W.
Washington D.C. 20590-0001
202.366.4883 or 1.800.986.9678 x-64883
Fax 202.366.1767

Can we start a sticky for Motor Mount Failures?

I'll start!

2007 MS3, 6260 miles, Sheared off at 30mph, on 4/29/07. **Edited** This bolt actually sheared off, not loosened. Story and pics HERE

Last edited:
good idea. I have no idea where to find that. I have my VIN, thats about it. Does anybody remember how to read a vin for its production date (well, week and month, anyway?)

fourthmeal said:
good idea. I have no idea where to find that. I have my VIN, thats about it. Does anybody remember how to read a vin for its production date (well, week and month, anyway?)
Production date, month and year anyway, are on the sticker inside the driver's door. Open door and look bottom right there is a sticker with a bunch of info on it.

Well, since the car's in Mazda's hands until they are ready to either give it back, or cut me a check, or whatever they'll do...I'll see if I took a picture of it at one time or another, and zoom in to read it.

Before we get to crazy with this, we need to verify that the bolt was either Sheared off, or backed off and let go. it is important.
Last i remember the bolt is Plenty strong to hold the motor in.

When you verify this problem try to get the remaining portion of the bolt or atleast see what they have with your own 2 eyes.

justa4banger said:
Before we get to crazy with this, we need to verify that the bolt was either Sheared off, or backed off and let go. it is important.
Last i remember the bolt is Plenty strong to hold the motor in.

When you verify this problem try to get the remaining portion of the bolt or atleast see what they have with your own 2 eyes.

I fail to see why that even matters. The cause is not what we want, a recall from Mazda to re engineer that mount and bolt is. An engine falling out IS a major safety hazard. Ford recalled Escapes a while back because there was a slight chance of electrical fires... a slight chance. Here there's apparently a more than slight chance of your engine kissing the pavement along with the rest of your drive line. I won't be a happy camper if this happens to me. File your complaints to let the company know it's happening to more than a handful of people. Please.

keep in mind that 90% or more of the owners of this car, and 99.5% of the people who own a car in general..will have no contact such as our forum to know that this is such a danger. They will just go through their daily lives, and BAM! engine kisses the pavement. This is completely unacceptable, and demands immediate attention. We get a recall notice about FLOORMATS, and not about a damn engine falling out?

Have you tried calling Mazda Directly?

fourthmeal said:
keep in mind that 90% or more of the owners of this car, and 99.5% of the people who own a car in general..will have no contact such as our forum to know that this is such a danger. They will just go through their daily lives, and BAM! engine kisses the pavement. This is completely unacceptable, and demands immediate attention. We get a recall notice about FLOORMATS, and not about a damn engine falling out?

Stupid question, have you guys with the bad mounts tried calling Mazda directly? Or are you expecting the dealership to follow through. Something as severe as this requires an onslaught of phone calls to the company.

Remember be nice :)

fourthmeal said:
YEP.

I'll try tomorrow. It will be fun.

Not that you won't, but try to be civil with the Techs. They are trying to help. Often though Techs are the last to know anything. "More bees with honey than vinegar" :)

With the techs yes, They just fix the cars. With Mazda's NA's customer service, you should be getting a supervisor on the phone immediately. Too important and too dangerous to go to anyone but management.

the techs at the shop (as well as the service writer) are getting nothing but my best side. They didn't break it.

The Customer Service guy at Mazda will be receiving a firm but calm statement from me.

This Is Important, Read And Help!

IMPORTANT! I just got off the phone with an investigator for NHTSA, who called me directly about this issue. I need ALL those who this has happened to to either PM me, or put a message here, ASAP. I've got a boulder rolling down-hill on this situation, and I need your help big time. So, get on it, find those who have had this happen, and get them in touch w/ me, right away.

I dont think there as many that had this happen as you make it sound. I know you are one person but other then that I havent seen any others and for the amount of of these cars out there that would yield a very small percentage of failures.

Things happen and maybe it was a poorly produced bolt with a bad metal or something but I dont think all of our motors are going to start falling out of our cars.

I've seen three on this forum...

whitey4311 said:
I dont think there as many that had this happen as you make it sound. I know you are one person but other then that I havent seen any others and for the amount of of these cars out there that would yield a very small percentage of failures.

Things happen and maybe it was a poorly produced bolt with a bad metal or something but I dont think all of our motors are going to start falling out of our cars.

Yeah, I think there has been three people with this issue. At least those on the Forums. FYI I asked my dealership (who has sold about 10 speeds so far and service about two from other dealership purchases) and they have yet to have any one report a failure.

Still it is a bad issue. For those of you who are concerned about Mazda's reaction keep in mind that they pulled ALL Mazda 5's (and gave us each a brand new MPV loaner and $500 dollars) after 3 people out of 2700 reported fires due to exhaust overheating. Say what you will, but the company doesn't screw with safety. Who knows, they maybe working on a fix right now. The reality is that it takes a bit of time for these issues to ripple through large organizations. It also maybe a case where the percentage of failures is realtively small e.g. even if 10 people have this issue out of 5000. It's only002%

Well I hope if it is a true failure across the board that there is a recall but time will tell.

Anyone know the total number of these cars out there in the US?

Like anything if you jump on the net you are going to hear horror stories about bad product but when measured against the masses of sales its to be expected that there is a failure rate.

Seeing as how there are not a small hand full or reports I wonder if it was a poorly molded bolt or if we are all up the creek.

As long as we are taken care of then all is good but they would have to send out info to all the dealerships for them to check into this before I think any dealer will listen to someone say, "I read on the internet that ..... can you please check my mounts?"

Whitey,...I believe they made a total of 5000 Speed 3's, of which America gets their slice of them.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm correct.

Also, I'm going to say this as plainly as I can.

ANYTHING that is potentially life threatening regarding a failure of a system or part of a car should be immediately investigated, even if only one car had the failure. You must understand, we are the tiniest minority of car owners who actually read stuff about our cars on the net. We represent those who do not post or care to post, however! Most people go through life, just drive, change oil (maybe), replace tires, ...basically whatever a dealer or car care expert tell them to do, so they don't have to replace their car prematurely. These people are potentially at risk just like I was, so just a few cars means a lot! When you are on the cutting edge, its a little thin, but you must lead the way so the majority can follow.

Back