Drove in a 2007 Rx350

Ssteigss10

:
2019 CX-9 GT Machine Grey
Guy I work with just got one. Given you can now buy an 07' for about $35K I figured I would offer a comparison to the CX-7. I believe its been redesigned for 08. I realize that many of you will say they are not in the same class. But when you load up on all the options the CX-7 its within $5,000 of the RX 350. Nothing to sneeze at but when you factor in that resale value will certainly be better on the Lexus you may wind up about even. So this comparison is for a loaded Cx-7 vs. the Base RX 350.
First off on the overall quality of the interior there is no comparison. Everything in the Lexus is better. The leather seats are higher quality, just about every surface has soft touch materials including the glovebox, dash, doors etc. When tapping on plastic surfaces they have no movement and feel like they are sitting on top of a piece of stone. The CX-7 sounds very hollow and cheap comparitively. The healdiner and A pillar are both covered in nice mesh material. The door panels are extremely solid and are covered in leather and soft touch materials. All of the swithes and controls are of high quality.The car takes bumps impresively with not a single rattle, click or noise. The Cx-7 rides a little harder but my wifes car is rattle free as well. Can't comment on the handling due to the fact I wasn't driving and we were going fairly slow in traffic. The car is extremely quiet drowning out roadnoise and the V6 is certainly a step up on all levels form the 4 cyl in the CX-7. The doors close with a solid thunk compared to the tinny doors on the CX.
Overall I think there is no comparison (when your comparing the $30K range) between these two vehicles. You can tell how much time and thought went into the design and executon of making the Lexus what it is... a Luxury SUV. The CX-7 on the other hand feels thrown together and cheap at times. Interior matrials are not up to par including the cheap carpet, hard plastics, and sparse interior. Not to mention the cheap sounding doors/hinges, bad gas mileage. I will say I love how the CX-7 drives and handles. I realize its aimed at a different demographic and is more of a sports crossover than lux. SUV. Also you'll get a couple of features in the loaded CX-7(like xenon/nav) that you have to pay extra for in the Lexus. But if Im spending $30K for something I would spend the extra $5k and get the Lexus. However if you stick to the lower models(mine is a $25K sport 4wd) than the CX-7 is still a great automobile for the price. My wife loves her CX-7 and I do enjoy driving it. Plus the 2008 RX350 will most likely sell closer to $39K. I was considering getting a loaded CX-7 for myself but after today I will definately not, knowing what other companies can build in similar price range.

Last edited:
when you go feature for feature, a more realistic assessment of these vehicles is more like 9-10k apart, you get what you pay for.

In Canada the absolute base model RX350 prices at $54,000 with freight, PDI, and block heater. The price then goes way up if you add any options. My CX-7 GT AWD with everything but Nav. listed at $39,995 and base model AWD at $35,795. Where is there a comparison here? The CX-7 drives a million times better as well. There's $18,000 between base models and $14,000 comparing top line to base, no comparison needed here.

Tinny door?!?!?! I don't know what's wrong with your CX-7 but mine close with a nice solid thunk.

And they are wonderfully weighted so that it only takes the slightest push and they close all the way including the back liftgate. I never have to touch the outside of the car to get it shut.

The driving dynamics between these 2 vehicles are so different I don't see how you can compare. If you like the supple ride of the lexus you will be disapointed with the tight suspension of the cx-7 and if you love how the cx-7 handles you will be disapointed with the way the lexus takes a curve.

this was more or less i would think comparing on a price to price only - which still doesnt make any sense cuz they arent even close - but i think its a given apples n oranges

mikey1981 said:
this was more or less i would think comparing on a price to price only - which still doesnt make any sense cuz they arent even close - but i think its a given apples n oranges

Yes Mikey. I was trying to do more of a price comparison. Im talking true cost to buy, not the stickers. Although the RX stickers for about $40K "similarly" equipped, dealers are discounting them $1,000 under Invoice(check out Carsdirect.com) bringing them down to about $35K. There is quite a spread between invoice and sticker on that car. Now we are around $6,000 difference( I was off a little)I know they are not the same type of vehicle. The Lexus is clearly aiming at Luxury. Plus the Lexus still has other features for that money that the CX-7( passenger power seat, memory seats/mirrors, illuminated vanity mirrors, much better materials, more bells and whistles etc). Its easy to say both cars have leather(ex.) but if one is clearly using higher quality it isnt a direct comparison. If you can live without a Navigation or Xenon lights in the Lexus it very competitive. Add to that the longer warranty, better resale value, and perceived better service, then it gets even closer. Even with all that many people would say the CX-7 is still better(sportier ride, not the millionth Lexus on the road etc.) but the difference in quality is hard to ignore. Compare to a new 2004-07' not the old version which is nothing better than the Camry. Again Im only comparing the Lexus to the loaded CX-7. Anything below that and the lines certainly blur.

Last edited:
Different here in Canada. The stickers are pretty much the selling price, very little dickering if any. So at $14k-$18k difference there is no comparison. Also your review makes the CX-7 interior sound like a cavalier. Yes the Lexus has a higher quality interior, but my CX-7 has a top notch interior for the price range in Canada. I find all the pieces to acceptable for the money. I guess if they were really $5k apart one would have to compare, but they are in two entirely different income brackets in Canada. I also don't agree with the comment on the engines. The 2.3L DISI is a fantastic motor and in on the Wards top ten engines list. Last time I checked there were no motors by Toyota, Honda, Acura, or Lexus on that list.

I'm not trying to say the CX-7 is better than the RX350, because in most ways it isn't, but its not that much fun to drive unless the cruise is set and there's no curves ahead.

Interior Quality

How do you judge interior quality? Tactiles and visuals of surfaces are very subjective . After 10k miles my cx7 interior has no rattles, sharp edges ,or broken parts. The seating leather is not the typical soft leather , but my wife and both found it apealing, it wears well. and gets constant compliments .The rugs are not very plush, but after one winter in NJ ,most plush rugs look like c**p . These have held up to the salt well, I'll bet they pull out quick for a hosing. I have owned new and used American and Japanese cars since 1976, and to me it is one of the most unique and appealling interiors I have seen. MartyD

wow thats way too expensive for that kind of a SUV!!! With that money i will get the Audi Q7!!

spike blue said:
wow thats way too expensive for that kind of a SUV!!! With that money i will get the Audi Q7!!

If you thinking of Q7 then get CX9 instead - i did it. (eekdance)
Well worth it.

well yeap you right!!! the cx-9 is nice well developed Big Suv and sportier

In Australia, Luxury CX-7 is $46K (RRP) vs $70K for RX350 with similar spec

RX350 is nice SUV but the drive is a bit soft

Quality built interior is not $25K extra definitely.... May be $5K extra and the rest is for the L badge(dance)

I realize you're trying to do a comparison, but I feel like you've totally insulted us in our own forum. It's like if I invited you into my house to give me a quote for carpet cleaning and you go around telling me how bad my interior decor is or telling me my taste in furniture is bad. That company wouldn't get my business. (protest)

Yes, the CX-7 is not perfect, but the Lexus isn't, either. You could've been a little more circumspect, I think.

Vince.

ssteigss said:
Guy I work with just got one. Given you can now buy an 07' for about $35K I figured I would offer a comparison to the CX-7. I believe its been redesigned for 08. I realize that many of you will say they are not in the same class. But when you load up on all the options the CX-7 its within $5,000 of the RX 350. Nothing to sneeze at but when you factor in that resale value will certainly be better on the Lexus you may wind up about even. So this comparison is for a loaded Cx-7 vs. the Base RX 350.
First off on the overall quality of the interior there is no comparison. Everything in the Lexus is better. The leather seats are higher quality, just about every surface has soft touch materials including the glovebox, dash, doors etc. When tapping on plastic surfaces they have no movement and feel like they are sitting on top of a piece of stone. The CX-7 sounds very hollow and cheap comparitively. The healdiner and A pillar are both covered in nice mesh material. The door panels are extremely solid and are covered in leather and soft touch materials. All of the swithes and controls are of high quality.The car takes bumps impresively with not a single rattle, click or noise. The Cx-7 rides a little harder but my wifes car is rattle free as well. Can't comment on the handling due to the fact I wasn't driving and we were going fairly slow in traffic. The car is extremely quiet drowning out roadnoise and the V6 is certainly a step up on all levels form the 4 cyl in the CX-7. The doors close with a solid thunk compared to the tinny doors on the CX.
Overall I think there is no comparison (when your comparing the $30K range) between these two vehicles. You can tell how much time and thought went into the design and executon of making the Lexus what it is... a Luxury SUV. The CX-7 on the other hand feels thrown together and cheap at times. Interior matrials are not up to par including the cheap carpet, hard plastics, and sparse interior. Not to mention the cheap sounding doors/hinges, bad gas mileage. I will say I love how the CX-7 drives and handles. I realize its aimed at a different demographic and is more of a sports crossover than lux. SUV. Also you'll get a couple of features in the loaded CX-7(like xenon/nav) that you have to pay extra for in the Lexus. But if Im spending $30K for something I would spend the extra $5k and get the Lexus. However if you stick to the lower models(mine is a $25K sport 4wd) than the CX-7 is still a great automobile for the price. My wife loves her CX-7 and I do enjoy driving it. Plus the 2008 RX350 will most likely sell closer to $39K. I was considering getting a loaded CX-7 for myself but after today I will definately not, knowing what other companies can build in similar price range.

vbbuilt01 said:
I realize you're trying to do a comparison, but I feel like you've totally insulted us in our own forum. It's like if I invited you into my house to give me a quote for carpet cleaning and you go around telling me how bad my interior decor is or telling me my taste in furniture is bad. That company wouldn't get my business. (protest)

Yes, the CX-7 is not perfect, but the Lexus isn't, either. You could've been a little more circumspect, I think.

Vince.

My intention was not to insult anyone. Let me take back one comment about the interior being "thrown together". My car is rattle free and nothing has broken. As I said I own a CX7 and do like a lot of what it offers. But many on these boards have complained of the cheap materials(headliner, carpet, noisy door hinges, flimsy rear door panels etc.) that I pointed out. In fact many have pointed out how much better the CX-9 is in this regard. My point is that if another Japanese company can make a vehicle with higher quality materials for a similar price (again Im only comparing to the high end CX-7, and Lexus is currently discounting 07's ) then maybe Mazda should take notice. My carpet is already wearing through in spots on a 4 month old car. So for me its not a build problem its a material quality issue. These forums are not to just sit here and talk about how wonderfule our cars are. They are also here to critique, provide advice and find solutions to problems. My guess is someone at Mazda is also looking at these boards for input. There is someone on here talking about his G35. Does that mean he is insulting me...I dont think so.

We may call it cheap, but i think ya just went a little out of context. Cheap in the sense that we expected better - not cheap like we bought a Kia.

I mean, if i took my rents FX45 out, would i say - the CX7 engine is garbage cuz the V8 infiniti is awesome? not really cuz there is no comparison to make with the 2 different products. i think its the way the comparison and comments came across, not so much the intent.

mikey1981 said:
We may call it cheap, but i think ya just went a little out of context. Cheap in the sense that we expected better - not cheap like we bought a Kia.

I mean, if i took my rents FX45 out, would i say - the CX7 engine is garbage cuz the V8 infiniti is awesome? not really cuz there is no comparison to make with the 2 different products. i think its the way the comparison and comments came across, not so much the intent.

Exactly.

you right mikey1981!!!! They are completly different cars made for different kind of people!!! when i went to buy my G35 i saw the fx45/fx35 and they are awesome Performance SUVs but i feel more agreesive in the cx-7 its just me!!! But like i said they are different cars

I think the real strength of the CX-7 is balance. While vehicles such as the FX-35, Lexus RX330 (and now 350), Acura RDX and even the Nissan Murano have some very nice touches on the interior, as you already mentioned, the CX-7 offers value. Not KIA or Hyundia value, but a good, solid non-derivative value. I was very happy to part with only $26,800 for a CX-7 GT with AWD, Bose, moonroof, and homelink options. I also like the European feel on the leather (harder) since it will wear better versus the sofa feel of many luxury vehicles. But, as always, to each their own. Your perspective should not be derided since it is simply that, a perspective. :)

The value proposition for every individual is unique. A couple of my friends would prefer to pick up an older BMW 750i or MB 600SL for $35K before looking at anything new because of the reputation and perceived prestige (and, in turn, support the resale value for these cars! ). If the base Lexus seems to be a better value at $35K versus a loaded CX-7, then, that is a value proposition that some will accept and others will question. I, for one, think the CX-7 is better for one main reason, fun, but then again, that is my take.

Last edited:
I like the fact that the closest real competitors to the CX-7 cost $10K+ more. Even at that, I still prefer my ride...(drive2)

Back