KLZE 2.5L V6 or not??

GrLPress626

:
1998, Mazda 626 Lx 4 door Manual 2.0L
I need some advice, I have 1/2 of my friends telling me to and 1/2 telling me not to. I am thinking about doing a KLZE 2.5L V6 Swap, these are usually engines in the Probe or the Mx-6. I have a 98 626 Lx 2.0L Manual. From reading information the sites are telling me that it is possible with the Lx version, although, my car didn't come stock with a V6. It's saying that the Lx versions of the 626's can be compatible motor mounts for this swap. That is the least of my problems, I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems with my tranny. I don't know if everything is going to fit together and what not. I really need some expert help with this descion. I wanna get more HP out of my car and I know I need a new engine. Alot of ppl are pushing more towards a 2.2 Turbo 4cly. But I'm not sure what's best. Or should I just replace the head on my current engine and put in new piston rings and a new head gagsket?? (help)

hahahaha! I don't think there are any cliffs around here until you drive to banff lol but thanks for the tip :p

Oh, and I'm not sure but I think you would be looking at a new tranny.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently it will bolt up to an FS tranny....shows what I know.(stooges)

Last edited by a moderator:
bradicus18 said:
Oh, and I'm not sure but I think you would be looking at a new tranny.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently it will bolt up to an FS tranny....shows what I know.(stooges)

Yeah, but, mine is only a 2.0L 626 not the V6 version of the 626, so that's where I'm running into the problem, I'd prolly need the new tranny due to the fact that I'm not running the tranny from the V6. To your previous post, yes the KL-ZE, The KLZE is a higher compression version of the KLDE. Plus the KLZE is just overal faster more HP and more Torque.

GrLPress626 said:
Yeah, but, mine is only a 2.0L 626 not the V6 version of the 626, so that's where I'm running into the problem, I'd prolly need the new tranny due to the fact that I'm not running the tranny from the V6. To your previous post, yes the KL-ZE, The KLZE is a higher compression version of the KLDE. Plus the KLZE is just overal faster more HP and more Torque.

Right, the 2.0L 626 is the FS-DE. Apparently from a transplant thread for the V6 in a Protege, the tranny for the FS will work with the KL V6.

I'm familiar with the differences. The cost of a KL-ZE vs. the KL-DE are another issue altogether. One you can just pull from a wrecked V6 Probe, MX-6 or 626 V6, the other...not so much.

Here is some info on the V6 swap into a Protege. I read somewhere in there that the tranny would work:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113494&highlight=engine+kl-ze

remember, you might also have to get an ecu and other peripherals. im not too sure if the fs alternator/compressor/ps pump/water pump bolt onto the kl. the de and ze make the same torque though. as far as pricing goes, i've seen ze's go as low as $400 for the bare bones motor and as much as $1200+ for motor plus all peripherals. corksport, tokyomotorimports has 'em. also check ebay--just make sure it's a real ze though. if you're going for a klde, check mx6 and probe forums because some of the members there that are swapping for ze's need to get rid of their de motors. good luck, keep us updated

alphanumeric said:
remember, you might also have to get an ecu and other peripherals. im not too sure if the fs alternator/compressor/ps pump/water pump bolt onto the kl. the de and ze make the same torque though. as far as pricing goes, i've seen ze's go as low as $400 for the bare bones motor and as much as $1200+ for motor plus all peripherals. corksport, tokyomotorimports has 'em. also check ebay--just make sure it's a real ze though. if you're going for a klde, check mx6 and probe forums because some of the members there that are swapping for ze's need to get rid of their de motors. good luck, keep us updated

well like alpha stated new tranny (ze) ecu & vaf unless u probe a klde ecu w/ probanater, also i never knew the mounts 4 the 4 cycle can fit the v6 block i was told he had 2 change abunch of crap like longer harness & etc.
yes 2.2 L turbo they are fast low comp. i raced a first gen probe & i won it had a few mods done 2 it he was @ like 10psi & @ this time i had no turbos in my car but w/ my 93ls ze ecu & exhaust & cai i was able 2 win a few races & some races he had me not by much thou 1 or 2 cars but now w/ Ze turbo i pown him forever ha
ps i got all my work done @ tiger japanesse in toronto

sry forgot 2 mention that it cost me about 1900 4 full klze motor & parts new tranny both with 60k on them & installed 1900cdn not bad @ all
i'm not sure exactly what prices were ill give u a rough range
klze was like 900 $
tranny was like 600 i think not 100% i have 2 look @ my receits
& install fee was 400 bucks

Last edited:
Roughly $4500 installed for everything needed. This is from a member who has already done it.

P2K said:
Roughly $4500 installed for everything needed. This is from a member who has already done it.

wow 4500us or cdn $ ? & was everything like brand new ha i no corksports sell ze IM 4 1000 brand new ? wow 4500 that's crazy man

Well, just to update, I decided against the KLZE and just went for a JDM 2.0L since my x blew a connecting rod straight through the bottom end and cracked my block! But, the new motor is in, minor adjustments are at hand now.

I wasn't going to say anything but I'm going with the KLZE in 6 months, guaranteed. I'm setting everything up through Tintin. I'll be dropping my car off in Canada with him.

I didnt get to read this until after you had decided against it man. I am glad you made that choice. Not mentioning the fact that you would want to redo the time belt, serpentine, water pump and god knows what else before you put the klze int he car.

If you are looking to put a KLZE in a 4 cylinder model of a car you are just plain crazy. the motor will NOT bolt up the the 4cyl 626 trans. You would have to relocate and get all the ZE/DE motor mounts all the cross member's, change the trans, and the trans cross member's, Get all new wiring ran for the ZE, Swap out the ECU or install the probinator chip (b**** to solder in)

If your going to do the ZE it is only practical to mate it to a car made with the DE installed already as the two motors are very identical with minute differences.

Why is he crazy? It only takes time and money, if he has that then what's the problem?

Last edited:
the problem?
Swapping a v-6 in a car that's from the factory as a 4 cylinder. I mean come one man, It make so much more sense to buy a 626 if that's what your into with a blown DE and swap the ZE in it, of coarse assuming the initial platform of the car to be built was already v6 to begin with.

Off the top of my head I can think of these parts being needed.

All motor mounts, so be it to bolt them or weld the brackets to whee they need to be. All cross members, the setup under the car to hold the guts in it is entirely different from 4 cylinder to v-6. Not to mention the transmission is going to be the 4EAGT. Cv shafts, new time belt, water pump, ECU, the exhaust will have to all be obtained and while you at it you mise well buy the new headers and run 2 inch all the way back to let the ZE exhale better.

The wiring well be completely different as well and if youve ever had any mx6,pgt wiing trouble it can be a nightmare. The rad will also have to be replaced as it differes in the DE chasis.

Get my point man? Its just crazy to even think about it. I would rebuild the 4 cyl in it now, and boost it.

Just my opinion man. (omg)

I can't speak for him because I don't know what he knows, but I already know everything you just pointed out. If that's what he decides to do then there's plenty of info on here to help him out.

I have a 4cyl Protege and I'm doing the KLZE swap. I know what I'm getting into and I know what's needed. I've been on this site long enough to know what I'm doing and to know what I'm talking about. You might not agree with the swap but whether you think it's crazy or not, it's your opinion.

Regardless, check back with me in a few months and mine will be done.

Last edited:
Back