Which Turbo Timer MSP6???

Have I installed one, no..... but I have seen them in my friend's WRX and my other friend's (the one with the garage) RX-7..... they look pretty nice, especially the guy with the RX-7 he did some custom fab work to tuck it away nice and neat looking.

freekwonder said:
Yes honestly the TT really isn't needed. I have one from my old MSP and don't plan on putting it in the MS6. And if I remember correctly you can not lock the doors/activate alarm while the car is one.

You can lock your doors and activate the alarm. The car might be running, but the ignition is still swithed off.

chuyler1 said:
I didn't even see anything in the owners manual pertaining to this.

Someone didn't RTM. :eek:

AWDRACER6 said:
I wanna get a turbo timer and i dont know anything about them! Where is the best place to get them? Are they interchangeable??? Meaning can I get on ebay and type in turbo timer and buy it or does it have to be for a certain car/turbo? Anyways, you guys know your stuff so help me out! Thanks!!!

I have an HKS Type 1. You can find them around $100-125 shipped on Ebay. There wasn't a wiring harness on for it, so the extra features don't work. I guess I could buy a manual, but $75 is a steep price to pay just to figure out where to connect 3 wires. Oh and you can use any turbo timer. Installation is as easy as hot wiring a car!

Hate said:
Someone didn't RTM. :eek:
!

Lol it states after certain types of driving, like hard driving or freeway driving, to let the engine run and the turbo cool for AT LEAST 30 seconds.... daily driving around town shouldn't need cooling.......unless you're practically driving hard, which most people with a turbo do anyways....

Hate said:
You can lock your doors and activate the alarm. The car might be running, but the ignition is still swithed off.

So there is a way to lock the doors and activate the alarm with the turbo timer on? Cool. Sadly I still think TTs are a waste of money to most people, escpecially mostly stock cars.

freekwonder said:
So there is a way to lock the doors and activate the alarm with the turbo timer on? Cool. Sadly I still think TTs are a waste of money to most people, escpecially mostly stock cars.

Turbo timers actually prolong the life of a turbo....... "technically" speaking, it's not really a waste of money to enable a part of your car to life a long life span (say 4 years til your warranty is up? ;))

rjs_protege5 said:
so TT are a good investment?? i mean, it's only about $100 (give or take)..

You could probably find a good used one on eBay for less than that.....

It all depends on who you talk to....... people say for oil cooled turbos.....definitely

and some people say if you have an oil/water cooled turbo... not worth it, and just let your car run for 30 seconds.......

i say they're essential if you do a lot of highway driving, and cut your engine off quick........ like for example..... if you're on the highway and you pull off to get gas and you turn off your car? the turbo timer would catch it for you....

but if you do highway driving like i do to my g/f's house and you live a few minutes away from the highway, stop signs and traffic lights, etc.

you wouldn't really need one because your turbo would have cooled down from sitting at the lights/slow traffic movement.

Most people seem to think it's a good investment, my friend doesn't have one on his WRX (oil/water cooled turbo) he just lets the car sit for 1 minute's worth of a song before turning it off....

Hope that helped you in anyway....... from what I understand the protege turbos are oil cooled, and not oil/water cooled? if that's the case yeah a turbo timer might be a good investment.

I think i have decided that i am getting the greddy TT on ebay for $85. Too many reasons to get one and no reason not to!

sounds good AWD...... I'm considering one for myself and looking to find one for my father's F350 turbo diesel........would make a nice Father's Day gift ;)

Koenig said:
Turbo timers actually prolong the life of a turbo....... "technically" speaking, it's not really a waste of money to enable a part of your car to life a long life span (say 4 years til your warranty is up? ;))

for 99% of the people who buy them, they are a waste of money. Your highway examples really are not that good. Its not a matter of highspeed, I can see turbo timers if you are racing a lot or pure oil cooled turbos. But on daily driving even on the highway, by the time you got off the highway pulled in to the gas station, take your seat belt off your car is going to be fine. If you do a lot of HIGH rev stuff and want to immediatly get out of your then its a good thing. I still have my apex-i I had on my MSP, if hooked up to the o2 sensor it would automatically calculate the shut down time based on readings from the O2 and it NEVER went over 30 seconds on normal daily driving.

Letting your car cool for anything over 30 seconds is just wasting gas (unless you JUST got done racing). You just want it to get the extra hot oil out of the turbo. I still stand by that for 99% of the people that have them, they don't NEED them. Its nice to have one so you don't have to sit and wait in your car, but I would rather spend that $85 some where else. And Personally I park on a slight incline so I would like the ability to leave my car in gear.

freekwonder said:
for 99% of the people who buy them, they are a waste of money. Your highway examples really are not that good. Its not a matter of highspeed, I can see turbo timers if you are racing a lot or pure oil cooled turbos. But on daily driving even on the highway, by the time you got off the highway pulled in to the gas station, take your seat belt off your car is going to be fine. If you do a lot of HIGH rev stuff and want to immediatly get out of your then its a good thing. I still have my apex-i I had on my MSP, if hooked up to the o2 sensor it would automatically calculate the shut down time based on readings from the O2 and it NEVER went over 30 seconds on normal daily driving.

Letting your car cool for anything over 30 seconds is just wasting gas (unless you JUST got done racing). You just want it to get the extra hot oil out of the turbo. I still stand by that for 99% of the people that have them, they don't NEED them. Its nice to have one so you don't have to sit and wait in your car, but I would rather spend that $85 some where else. And Personally I park on a slight incline so I would like the ability to leave my car in gear.

I don't know where you live, maybe in the butt-fking egypt type of country suburbs, but in the city.... the gas stations are RIGHT THERE on the highway..... why? because people are using the highway as a commute, ESPECIALLY for when you're taking a trip, for example.... I live in south florida, I'm driving to Orlando to go to Disney World [joy].... when I take the Florida Turnpike, it is littered with "service" stations right down the middle of it, you simply pull off the turnpike, and you pull into the service plaza and there's the gas station, all of this essentially takes LESS than 30 seconds to pull up to a pump...... after driving at highway speeds (which is high RPM, and is in boost on these cars, I drive 80 on the turnpike and am readily in boost should i accelerate).

going from boost to no boost and turning off the car in less than 30 seconds... yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if someone doing that after 6 months starts seeing white hairline cracks on the turbo manifold.

if you'd read my other posts, I did give an example as of where i live my turbo has time to cool down and I also mentioned that in my post

and I mentioned it has better benefit for oil-cooled turbos as opposed to oil/water cooled (which is what an evo, sti, and ms6 have)

point in case, if you read ANY respectable tuner magazine, and talk to professional racers. a turbo timer isn't REQUIRED...... but it helps...... you may choose not to put one on your car, and I would....

end result.......... 5 years down the road my turbo would be in better shape than yours. How many people REALLY sit for a minute in their car and let it cool, I've watched people.... it's like 20 seconds TOPS, people always ask me what i'm waiting for.....even in city driving i like to let it cool down at idle...... but then again that's just me, and I'm very particular about how I treat my stuff.....

Koenig said:
I don't know where you live, maybe in the butt-fking egypt type of country suburbs, but in the city.... the gas stations are RIGHT THERE on the highway..... why? because people are using the highway as a commute, ESPECIALLY for when you're taking a trip, for example.... I live in south florida, I'm driving to Orlando to go to Disney World [joy].... when I take the Florida Turnpike, it is littered with "service" stations right down the middle of it, you simply pull off the turnpike, and you pull into the service plaza and there's the gas station, all of this essentially takes LESS than 30 seconds to pull up to a pump...... after driving at highway speeds (which is high RPM, and is in boost on these cars, I drive 80 on the turnpike and am readily in boost should i accelerate).

going from boost to no boost and turning off the car in less than 30 seconds... yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if someone doing that after 6 months starts seeing white hairline cracks on the turbo manifold.

if you'd read my other posts, I did give an example as of where i live my turbo has time to cool down and I also mentioned that in my post

and I mentioned it has better benefit for oil-cooled turbos as opposed to oil/water cooled (which is what an evo, sti, and ms6 have)

point in case, if you read ANY respectable tuner magazine, and talk to professional racers. a turbo timer isn't REQUIRED...... but it helps...... you may choose not to put one on your car, and I would....

end result.......... 5 years down the road my turbo would be in better shape than yours. How many people REALLY sit for a minute in their car and let it cool, I've watched people.... it's like 20 seconds TOPS, people always ask me what i'm waiting for.....even in city driving i like to let it cool down at idle...... but then again that's just me, and I'm very particular about how I treat my stuff.....

I live in Kansas City, MO, and have driven all over the country from coast to coast and from border to border. Your right I don't know what they are like in your area, but in my area where gas stations are right off of the free way. You still have to slow down to normal road speeds (usually 25-55 mph) and you ususally have to stop at a stop light or a stop sign (right off of the freeway and guess what it was like that in Orange County, CA where I grew up also) Personally I have never seen it (besides on the turn pike) in a city where you got off the freeway doing 65-80 mph and went straight into a gas station with out having to slow down or hit a stop sign/street light.

Driving the turnpike from KS to TX is the same as yours the gas stations are in the middle and it takes a little more then 30 seconds to get to a pump, considering most of the gas stations had a slow down road going into them since they dropped down to 25 or 15 mph and the car was cooled by the time you got to the pump and take off your seat belt. It all depends on the situation and for the situtation the OP stated in his origianl post, a TT didn't sound like it was needed.

I did read your post. If you are not racing letting your car idle for more then 30 seconds is a waste of gas. As for freeway driving, speed limit is only 65 here so I don't drive 80mph. I do drive 70 mph and I can do that with out being in boost. When ever I drive at a steady mph my boost gauge usually drops below 0 for me.

I never said they are not needed by some people, just that they are not needed by all. Call me in 5 years when you take your turbo off and we can compare.

Of course going from no boost to boost then shutting your car off is bad, when did I say it was good? But how many people actually do that on a daily basis.

If the OP wants to get one, he can nobody is stopping him. Its his money I hope he is happy with his purchase and the install goes clean for him. I just don't see a NEED for one for 99% of the people that have one. Thats just my personal opinion from my personal experience. He asked for an opinion and I gave it.

freekwonder said:
I live in Kansas City, MO, and have driven all over the country from coast to coast and from border to border. Your right I don't know what they are like in your area, but in my area where gas stations are right off of the free way. You still have to slow down to normal road speeds (usually 25-55 mph) and you ususally have to stop at a stop light or a stop sign (right off of the freeway and guess what it was like that in Orange County, CA where I grew up also) Personally I have never seen it (besides on the turn pike) in a city where you got off the freeway doing 65-80 mph and went straight into a gas station with out having to slow down or hit a stop sign/street light.

Driving the turnpike from KS to TX is the same as yours the gas stations are in the middle and it takes a little more then 30 seconds to get to a pump, considering most of the gas stations had a slow down road going into them since they dropped down to 25 or 15 mph and the car was cooled by the time you got to the pump and take off your seat belt. It all depends on the situation and for the situtation the OP stated in his origianl post, a TT didn't sound like it was needed.

I did read your post. If you are not racing letting your car idle for more then 30 seconds is a waste of gas. As for freeway driving, speed limit is only 65 here so I don't drive 80mph. I do drive 70 mph and I can do that with out being in boost. When ever I drive at a steady mph my boost gauge usually drops below 0 for me.

I never said they are not needed by some people, just that they are not needed by all. Call me in 5 years when you take your turbo off and we can compare.

Of course going from no boost to boost then shutting your car off is bad, when did I say it was good? But how many people actually do that on a daily basis.

If the OP wants to get one, he can nobody is stopping him. Its his money I hope he is happy with his purchase and the install goes clean for him. I just don't see a NEED for one for 99% of the people that have one. Thats just my personal opinion from my personal experience. He asked for an opinion and I gave it.

I know I was agreeing with you in which you said they're not needed I was just giving examples...... the limits around here are 70....but if you drive 70 you will pretty much see everyone passing you..... so the speed of the "flow of traffic" is more around 80 give or take a mph or 2.....

when you slow down do you down shift? because I do.....helps with brake life, well i make sure i touch the gas pedal to match the revs... and by doing that you can (not always) cause the turbo to spool up even a little....

As long as your a member on the board in about 4 years i'll PM you and send pics, because pretty much after my warranty is up I'm going with a GT3076R turbo (done some research and somewhat impressed with them....unless they come out with better at the time).

I'm not sure how the highway from kansas from texas was, but on the florida turnpike you pull off to the left, go down a short road maybe 100 feet or less and there's a gas station right there (another left) and you can pull up to a pump......

and also the time of day counts, if you're driving at late night that means fewer cars on the road, so you don't have to sit at a light waiting to make a right turn.

I agree with you, that if there's traffic, you don't have to worry about a timer cause by the time all the cars in front of you have made their turn and you get to go and get to the gas station, your turbo should have had enough time to cool.

It's happened to my father a few times, we get together and he drives his truck up to south carolina from southern florida and we've pulled off at a gas station (some gas stations have a right turn right into it before you even get to a light....) and i'll watch him pull up to a pump and shut his truck off, then curse and turn it back on to let the turbo cool. a minute's time of idling the engine doesn't really use as much gas as some people think

and as far as this goes.......

you'd be surprised.......there are a lot of stupid people out there.......and when I say stupid I mean in the sense that they don't really know any better (braindead

[edit]
just so it's clear I'm also telling him he doesn't need one as long as he lets it cool for 30 to 45 seconds after initial boosting...... other than that for city driving (unless you're always in high rpms, which is doubtful) then he won't really need a TT, and I would agree I'd rather put the 100 into a downpipe or something.

Last edited:
Both saying the same thing, just have different daily experiences.

As for the people boosting and shutting down. Well I don't even think most of those people would be smart enough to look into a turbo timer in the first place.

freekwonder said:
Both saying the same thing, just have different daily experiences.

As for the people boosting and shutting down. Well I don't even think most of those people would be smart enough to look into a turbo timer in the first place.

I've known a couple...... like one guy has a 95 240sx with a sr20det swap...... he has a turbo timer and doesn't even use it (braindead I've seen him shut his car off once after a "race" on the street...... I didn't bother to say anything cause he's one of those guys that thinks they know everything about anything when it comes to a car..... so I let it flow

oh BTW I think both our turbos are going to be garbage anyway...... according to CP-E confirming that the turbo's seals come loose and leak oil when not boosting......yeah : \

Koenig said:
sounds good AWD...... I'm considering one for myself and looking to find one for my father's F350 turbo diesel........would make a nice Father's Day gift ;)
Ya, too bad i wont be a father tell september! Haha... But ya they got them for $85 on lots of websites and on ebay for $95 or so...

Koenig said:
You could probably find a good used one on eBay for less than that.....

It all depends on who you talk to....... people say for oil cooled turbos.....definitely

and some people say if you have an oil/water cooled turbo... not worth it, and just let your car run for 30 seconds.......

i say they're essential if you do a lot of highway driving, and cut your engine off quick........ like for example..... if you're on the highway and you pull off to get gas and you turn off your car? the turbo timer would catch it for you....

but if you do highway driving like i do to my g/f's house and you live a few minutes away from the highway, stop signs and traffic lights, etc.

you wouldn't really need one because your turbo would have cooled down from sitting at the lights/slow traffic movement.

Most people seem to think it's a good investment, my friend doesn't have one on his WRX (oil/water cooled turbo) he just lets the car sit for 1 minute's worth of a song before turning it off....

Hope that helped you in anyway....... from what I understand the protege turbos are oil cooled, and not oil/water cooled? if that's the case yeah a turbo timer might be a good investment.

So it breaks down like this for me. My time is worth more than the $100 my turbo timer cost me. I drive on the highway to and from work. I live and work less than a mile from the highway, and I still drive like I stole it, but I'm trying to control myself. Anyways, that would be 1 minute per work day sitting in my car wasting time. That would be 20 minutes a month approx, or 4 hours a year. Spending 4 hours of my life each year waiting for my car to do something is not my idea of constructive use of my time. And that doesn't include the time I drive when I'm not going to/from work. I mean there already aren't enough hours in the day for me to get all I want to do done. Anything that saves me time is a plus in my book. I can easily blow $100 drinking one night, and it's not like I'm made of money, so if I can waste it there, then why not to at least save me some time. At least this doesn't come with the potential of a hangover the next day!

so there you go...... a turbo timer appeals to different people...... you should check it out though, from what I understand some people with the GT speed6 seem to be having second thoughts reguarding the car's auto lock after 5 seconds feature.......

i too sometimes drive hard in boost, so i have to wait for it to cool before i shut it off I have the sport speed6, so i don't need to worry about the auto lock...... I can ask a friend of mine what he thinks in regards to the speed6, from my understanding he's performed work on 3 different speed6s already (though I'm not exact on what work he did.....probably performance).

Koenig said:
so there you go...... a turbo timer appeals to different people...... you should check it out though, from what I understand some people with the GT speed6 seem to be having second thoughts reguarding the car's auto lock after 5 seconds feature.......

i too sometimes drive hard in boost, so i have to wait for it to cool before i shut it off I have the sport speed6, so i don't need to worry about the auto lock...... I can ask a friend of mine what he thinks in regards to the speed6, from my understanding he's performed work on 3 different speed6s already (though I'm not exact on what work he did.....probably performance).

I don't have my auto lock on, so I don't know what that does. What I really want is to know where to hook up the speed and rpm sensors so the rest of the functions on the TT work and it will do the shutdown auto.

Hate said:
I don't have my auto lock on, so I don't know what that does. What I really want is to know where to hook up the speed and rpm sensors so the rest of the functions on the TT work and it will do the shutdown auto.

I've never wired one.......I would assume the timer comes with instructions...... MOST (but not all) electronics you buy of any type have directions for any installation needed....... try visiting BLITZ, HKS, and GREDDY's websites and look at the turbo timers, see if you can find a link or an adobe file that is pretty much an installation manual...... or take it to a reputable car performance shop that knows what they're doing.

Back