Clunk in the rear suspension (AFTER the AXR clunk fix kit)

Jenn

Spinning doritos fanatic
:
'03 Spicy Orange MSP
So I installed the AXR clunk fix kit on the rear sway in August, and it was fantastic for a while. Sometime over the winter, I developed a clunk in the rear suspension, and upon inspection underneath, I can't for the life of me see anything obviously wrong. It sounds like what would happen if the sway bar hit the floor, or if you hit something solid metal against something hollow metal.

The only thing i can see is the grease nipples on the urethane bushings look to be rubbing on what looks like a stabilizer bar.

Any ideas?

my AXR cluck fix kit is coming out this weekend.

It worked for 5 weeks, kinda. Over very large bumps, with uneven pavement, I would still get a mild, reduced/quiet clunk noise. It was 1000 times better than it was before, and it only happened in extreme conditions like I said. Driving everywhere else, I never heard the clunk.

After about 4-5 weeks, I got lots and lots of squeaking. Every bump or un-even patch of patch of road would make a very annoying squeak sound. I bought some more formula 5 and lubbed up the bushing AT EVERY OIL CHANGE. This would "fix" the problem for about a week, and the squeaks would come right back.

Now, what I am getting is even better...(sike). Whenever I go over a bump, un-even payment, speed bumps, driveway curb, or a penny in the road, I get a LOUD metal on metal CLANK noise. Its been like this for the last 2 weeks or so. You can hear it a mile away. When I hit a bump, even the smallest of bumps, it sounds like the entire rear sub-frame is going to break off the car.

Now, to answer everyones questions and avoid heat from the nay-sayers:

1) I installed the kit exactly, word for word, like the instructions said.
2) I have both the original and revised L brackets. Neither one of them solved my problem
3) All of the hardware has been tightened down, and securely mounted in the car
4) I used Forumla 5 energy suspension grease at every oil change
5) I have the revised bracket/bushings (grease-able bushing)

Last edited:
I am running stock end links, but they seem tight. I grabbed onto them and they don't flop. That was what I initially thought it was, but they don't seem to have anything wrong...

yashart_mp3 said:
my AXR cluck fix kit is coming out this weekend.

It worked for 5 weeks, kinda. Over very large bumps, with uneven pavement, I would still get a mild, reduced/quiet clunk noise. It was 1000 times better than it was before, and it only happened in extreme conditions like I said. Driving everywhere else, I never heard the clunk.

After about 4-5 weeks, I got lots and lots of squeaking. Every bump or un-even patch of patch of road would make a very annoying squeak sound. I bought some more formula 5 and lubbed up the bushing AT EVERY OIL CHANGE. This would "fix" the problem for about a week, and the squeaks would come right back.

Now, what I am getting is even better...(sike). Whenever I go over a bump, un-even payment, speed bumps, driveway curb, or a penny in the road, I get a LOUD metal on metal CLANK noise. Its been like this for the last 2 weeks or so. You can hear it a mile away. When I hit a bump, even the smallest of bumps, it sounds like the entire rear sub-frame is going to break off the car.

Now, to answer everyones questions and avoid heat from the nay-sayers:

1) I installed the kit exactly, word for word, like the instructions said.
2) I have both the original and revised brackets. Neither one of them solved my problem
3) All of the hardware has been tightened down, and securely mounted in the car
4) I used Forumla 5 energy suspension grease at every oil change
5) I have the revised bracket/bushings (grease-able bushing)

That's the exact same as me.

Jenn said:
I am running stock end links, but they seem tight. I grabbed onto them and they don't flop. That was what I initially thought it was, but they don't seem to have anything wrong...

That's exactly why your car songs like crap. Your FACTORY endlinks. I have the same exact annoying sound on my MP3. Go underneath the car and with the palm of your hand hit the endlink from the swaybar end and you will hear the sound come up. Don't jack up the car, just do it while the car is in brake. I'm going to the dealer that have them replace them with some new ones until I get some aftermarket ones.

i also have the axr and factory links with worse noises than ever.
subbing for more info (as it develops)
i am oh so close to just ditching that swaybar.

I have that very annoying squeak as well. Im gonna try some type of marine grease to see if that works. The thing is, i have not had any rain for a while and it still squeaks.

I PM ed evolv a few days ago, have heard nothing.
i just wanted to get the part # for some new bushings so i would have them available for when i take things apart.

since the clunk just developed this is a long shot but make sure the bar is still centered. I had that problem when I first put mine on.

The clunk is more prevolant on the passenger's side, so I'll check that.

I feel for you guys. I have the original Delsing brackets and mine work like a charm.
I am sure Evols's are good quality just seems to be some people have no end of trouble with them.

Jenn said:
The clunk is more prevolant on the passenger's side, so I'll check that.

Mine is worst on the drivers side. I going to see what I could fab to fix thisproblem or just remove the bar itself. Ha!(rockon)

Ordered the new AWR endlinks, hope that fixes it. If not, it's still a worthwhile investment.

Jenn said:
Ordered the new AWR endlinks, hope that fixes it. If not, it's still a worthwhile investment.

Hey, keep me posted when you install them. I'm about to order mine soon.

Back