Clunk noise in driveline

dlwhite1

I have noticed a clunking noise in the driveline when cold and when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. It's only in the morning after sitting all night. I've seen the TSB about the noise when shifting from P to R, but I don't have that problem. Just wondering if anyone else has heard this.... need to turn the radio down to hear though.

New to me..haven't seen any threads that I can remember about a clunking noise...did you try a search?

Oh yea...Welcome to the Forums!!!:)

Thanks for helping me out. Wife and I love the CX-7, but I have the same problems that everyone else is having. It's really shiffty on the highway and we live in the foothills of North Carolina. I have the old door seals and what a mess they leave, spent an hour just detailing the doors after the last big rain storm. Took the 7 this weekend up our favorite miata road to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Audi behind me couldn't keep up! I wasn't pushing it like I do the miata, but the 7 is so much fun in the twisties.

also, you should tell your dealer there is hesitation in power with the engine, and the gears are jumpy - they will most likely perform the computer update that smoothes out the power delivery and holds gears much better on the highway. Approach the dealer that you have a problem/concern with the car and tell them whats happening - if you tell them flat out you want the computer update they may not perform the update.

Dealer could not get the CX-7 to make the noise this morning. Getting the vehicle back tonight and will be driving it every morning to get a better sense of how and what needs to happen to make it do it. They did perform the software up-date and cut the front rotors just a hair to smooth out a brake vibration.

dlwhite1 said:
I have noticed a clunking noise in the driveline when cold and when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. It's only in the morning after sitting all night. I've seen the TSB about the noise when shifting from P to R, but I don't have that problem. Just wondering if anyone else has heard this.... need to turn the radio down to hear though.

I too have the 1st to 2nd gear clunk ONLY when the car is cold. After the initial clunk, it goes away until the car is cold again. Has anyone that has the same condition been able to get it corrected?? (6500 miles)

Its a known problem

I just got a call from my dealer that the part is in, so I need to schedule the service.

The clunking is a known issue with Mazda, and there is a new trans-axle component for the fix. My dealership was unaware of the problem until they did some searching after my describing the problem in detail.

They also ordered me the new door seals per my request; once they realized there was a TSB on that too, they were all to happy to order they parts!

Now I just need to find the time to make the appointment.

I continue to LOVE my CX-7!

Just recently I heard a clunk too up front as I put it into reverse first thing in the morning....same as what you are talking about I suppose? It may have been happening before but usually my radio volume is up.

I have the problem I brought it to the dealer they say they cannot duplicate it and says the TSB I had in the car I was just trying to get free parts. Little to say we had a major fall out the noise is still there I can hear perfectly in my garage due to the echo they don't care. I'm starting not to care either about this car plus today 3,000 miles another check engine light. 2-gas caps so far wonder what this new issue is.

I noticed the "clunk" when driving forward from a cold start almost since day one, 10 months ago. I'm not sure if I'm still in first gear or transitioning to second, I'll have to take note next time. I know that I'm just slowly pulling away from my driveway so I'm probably only doing 5-10mph. Seems like I feel the "clunk" under my left foot which is resting on the floorboard. I don't know if it's worth it to bring it to the dealer's attention during my next oil change?

Clunk.. I hear it as well... Parking to reverse and well as parking to first gear... we will see when I bring it in.

fatlard said:
Clunk.. I hear it as well... Parking to reverse and well as parking to first gear... we will see when I bring it in.

I have it too. I don' t know for how long as my radio too could have masked it. I just had a new TCM installed & the new flash done, that could be when it started.

Let us know if it is anything to be concerned about.

I told the dealer about the clunk. They said they can't hear it..

oh well.. we will wait till it gets louder... then i bring it back.

Update on the "clunking & thud"

Well, it took a while for me to find the time to schedule the service appointment - my dealership is an hour from home - but I have it all done.

They replaced the drive shaft and everything seems perfect. They also replaced the door seals, but I will need time to see how effective that fix is.

Interesting though, the service manager I dealt with the last time is no longer there; I was told he was "doing things on his own too much", such as ordering replacement parts due to TSB's! Oh well, I'm glad I got mine. The new manager said that they can't just go ahead and order things like the new door seals unless a customer complains... I told him I DID complain, but I did it nicely.

Total bill was $0

I wonder what the price tag is on a new drive shaft?

singlemalt_18 said:
They also replaced the door seals, but I will need time to see how effective that fix is.

Thanks. I can't speak to the drive shaft, but I bet you'll love the new door seals. They make a huge difference. My door used to get filthy inside when it rained, but now there is hardly any mess. I'm glad you got them and can't believe that mazda would rather have people angry at their car and mazda rather than put proper door seals in every car. (bang) Sorry, I digress.

Back