*Input Needed* 300 whp Flywheel and clutch options

Bala

quitas Veritas
Contributor
:
2003.5 323F
Well folks, I've done quite a bit of research, but I'd like to hear some "real-world" testimony. My daily driven (important) output will be tuned in the neighborhood off 300 whp. Focusing on the tranny, I'll be having the entire tranny cryo-treated along with GTX 3rd/4th gears and an NSN 5th gear. I am also running a Quaife lsd. I have read rave reviews and a few horror stories with flywheels and clutches. What are you guys running and had success with? Anything I should absolutely stay away from? Thanks peeps ...

I ran a Mazdaspeed 'Lightweight' Flywheel and ACT Stage 1 clutch for about 20,000 miles. Biggest waste of money. The flywheel was cheap from Protege5Online back in the day and I honestly felt zero difference over stock. I went with a Fidanza (much lighter) and would not ever go back. The car revs awesome and the turbo spools quick and smooth. I've not gotten one complaint back on either the Exedy/Fidanza combination or the ACT/Fidanza combination from either an n/a or turbo protege owner. CitizenPro runs the lighter flywheel and Exedy clutch he bought from me IIRC and he likes it alot.

There's alot of laughable misinformation that went around such as this thread; http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123646501&highlight=flywheel so be careful what you read into. claims like "lighter flywheels don't work with LSDs and turbos" are aplenty and are plenty false.

I am using the spec flywheel and the spec stage 3+ clutch and I am quite happy with it, the clutch grabs for sure but you get used to it pretty quickly

today is the first day I have driven my car since oct :D I am in love again :)

I only have about 5k miles on my setup but so far I would say I would do it again ;) I have the quaife lsd along with the 3rd & 5th gtx gears as well for what its worth

outside of ACT I think you will be happy with any choice, I dont think the flywheel is going to be much difference between the spec and the fidanza, the only reason i get the spec was just so I had both that and the clutch in case I had problems I could go back to spec

I run the Fidanza flywheel and a Exedy Stage One clutch, it's quite literally the hot butter on my breakfast toast.

The Fidanza flywheel is looking like a frontrunner for me ... Did some more research and am having trouble nailing down the clutch. I know there will be tradeoffs with the need to handle 300 whp and the resultant torque, but I need something that won't make me want to light the car on fire when I'm stuck on one of our fab freeways in stop-and-go traffic ...

Yes I have another car more suited for commuting, but I'm working hard to keep this car a driver ...

The Exedy S1 clutch isnt much "tougher" has far as the feel goes. Now when u match it with the Fidanza flywheel, it takes some getting used to. I caught myself engaging the clutch too quickly cause of how fast the fidanza got up in rpm.....and when the exedy grabs, it GRABS! So it would jerk if u didnt have the power behind it. Once u learn to drive with the combo, its great....and u wont have any regrets :)

Took it to the track for the first time last weekend, and the clutch held up with zero issues.

CitizenPro said:
The Exedy S1 clutch isnt much "tougher" has far as the feel goes. Now when u match it with the Fidanza flywheel, it takes some getting used to. I caught myself engaging the clutch too quickly cause of how fast the fidanza got up in rpm.....and when the exedy grabs, it GRABS! So it would jerk if u didnt have the power behind it. Once u learn to drive with the combo, its great....and u wont have any regrets :)

Took it to the track for the first time last weekend, and the clutch held up with zero issues.

Thanks for the input (2thumbs) My concern is that the Exedy Sage 1 is rated for "40% more than stock MSP output" - that rates in at around 210 whp.

I believe Pirana has the same combo, and he's pushing 270whp+ on race gas. Im pushing 10psi on the stock gt25r with only ems, & exhaust cutout at the moment....so i have no idea what kind of power im putting down.

CitizenPro said:
I believe Pirana has the same combo, and he's pushing 270whp+ on race gas. Im pushing 10psi on the stock gt25r with only ems, & exhaust cutout at the moment....so i have no idea what kind of power im putting down.

Good to know ... + it's not like I will be dumping the clutch at redline on a regular basis. With my driving, most power will be put down in 2nd and 3rd gear in the twisties in my backyard and on onramp blast-offs.

Down to Exedy S1, Spec 3+ or the ACT ... am I missing any?

I'm using a Fidanza flywheel and Exedy S1 clutch (along with a welded 1st gen msp lsd). Awesome combo so far for sure.

I've been using a custom clutch that I had made locally in L.A. I can feel you on the trafic but it's not too bad for me. I'm getting close to the target HP too and still have had no issues. The shop makes clutches for big rigs and can make just about any clutch you need out of whatever you want it made from. I took them my stock presure plate and he almost doubled the clamping force and changed the clutch so it's good. I've had it running for about 10k miles.

For my setup I have 301WHP and 298TQ on a Dyno Dynamics dyno... I am running a stock MSP flywheel, and a SPEC stage 3+ MSP clutch. I have my stock LSD welded.

Everything was great last year until the last drive then I ripped apart 3rd gear.

I now have put in GTX gears.. 3rd, 4th and 5th.. The car is running very stong and the clutch grabs very nice..

A Fidanza flywheel is the way to go.

As for the clutch, my favorite clutch so far that I've run is the Spec Stage 3+ (or stage 3H?), but I've heard great things about the Exedy, which I may try next.

If you decide on the fidanza or exedy, I carry them on my site.

I run the spec Stage 3+ clutch with a specially machined stock flywheel. It's the best of all worlds in my opinion. Remember that lightening your flywheel on a turbo car has some trade offs as your turbo spool up time will increase due to the reduced engine loads.

3+ and 3H (technically the 3H is a 2+ but Beau marketed it as a 3H because of the part number and to make people think it was more than it was) are VERY different... and I REALLY don't recommend going to a lightweight flywheel on a turbo car unless you want an extra 500+ rpm's of turbo lag. But "everybody" does it so most don't realize the difference. People that have driven my car will tell you the response and power delivery are a lot smoother than others, and that is likely due to the extra weight of my flywheel... I'm not sure of the weight of it though... but I can tell you how to do it.

Last edited:
I prototyped the Exedy let me clear some things up. The clutch is rated by torque not horsepower. 300 ft lbs torque should be fine back when Exedy did the tests on the pressure plates. I'll be running the stage 2 or a hyper stage 1 if need be once I get to that point.

About flywheels, I've run both stock and fidanza. If you are built, go ahead and get the flywheel. Forged internals add mass to the whole reciprocating assembly. The lightweight will offset the added weight and it won't be such a drastic drop in weight. I didn't like how my car revved with the stock flywheel after going built. If you are stock block, the choice is really up to your own personal preference. I didn't need it when I was stock block to lay the smack down on some STIs and other "fast cars".

Last edited:
Back