"GPS" icon in Nav display

saty

Couple of questions:

a) does the "GPS" icon which shows up under the time (upper left corner) represent actual reception from the satelite(s) ????

b) Last week for about 20 minutes my Nav was "lost" - it showed about 1/8 mile off from the actual road. The car moved parallel to the road, but not on it. Coincident with this the "GPS" letters seemed to be missing.

c) is this normal ? today I noticed (never looked before) that the GPS is not always there, off for a few seconds, then comes back. Should this be on ALL the time ?

d) It has been working since then .....

saty said:
Couple of questions:

a) does the "GPS" icon which shows up under the time (upper left corner) represent actual reception from the satelite(s) ????

b) Last week for about 20 minutes my Nav was "lost" - it showed about 1/8 mile off from the actual road. The car moved parallel to the road, but not on it. Coincident with this the "GPS" letters seemed to be missing.

c) is this normal ? today I noticed (never looked before) that the GPS is not always there, off for a few seconds, then comes back. Should this be on ALL the time ?

d) It has been working since then .....
Yes, the GPS icon means the satellites are being received. When it is off, the nav goes by dead reckoning which uses wheel speed and a gyro to try to keep your position until the GPS reception improves. The GPS is reception from satelites which can be obscured by trees, buildings, canyons, and other stuff. The nav needs to see at least two to work at all and three for any accuracy. The satelites move around so you can be in the same location and it will not work one day, but might the next.

Rotus8 said:
Yes, the GPS icon means the satellites are being received. When it is off, the nav goes by dead reckoning which uses wheel speed and a gyro to try to keep your position until the GPS reception improves. The GPS is reception from satelites which can be obscured by trees, buildings, canyons, and other stuff. The nav needs to see at least two to work at all and three for any accuracy. The satelites move around so you can be in the same location and it will not work one day, but might the next.

OK, it was over the course of traveling to work, a distance of more than 15 miles, seems like localized obstructions would not account for it.

I guess I'm trying to get a sense whether I should suspect the unit itself ........

so, if it didn't see at least two, it wouldn't have been doing the parallel track either ??? it would not do anything ?

saty said:
OK, it was over the course of traveling to work, a distance of more than 15 miles, seems like localized obstructions would not account for it.

I guess I'm trying to get a sense whether I should suspect the unit itself ........

so, if it didn't see at least two, it wouldn't have been doing the parallel track either ??? it would not do anything ?
You can try to go into the Nav service screens. It tells how here:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123662460
There is a screen that shows all the satelites currently in view.

saty said:
So, if it didn't see at least two, it wouldn't have been doing the parallel track either ??? it would not do anything ?
I missed your second question. It has a gyro and wheel rotation sensors so it trys to track even if the GPS is not working.

I had the same issue with my 04

saty said:

I had the same problem with my 04 Navi about a year ago: car was off in the sticks parallel to the main road. The issue went away. Never had a problem again. FYI, My wife's Garmin 2610 looses connection with GPS sats a helluva lot more than the Mazda's system. I love the Mazda system and I plan on getting it in my MS3. I can't live without it. :)

In short, it was probably a fluke. Next time it happens pay attention to weather conditions. Dense clouds and Sunspots can also confuse the GPS connection to sats. Remember the signal is just another type of radio frequency and all radio frequencies can be effected by atmospheric conditions.

Back