Coolant issues

gen1pro

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
The coolant hose that goes to the overflow tank keeps leaking and messing up my engine bay. I've taken it to the dealer twice and both times they've ordered a new hose and replaced it (per service bulletin), but it continues to leak.

Is it o.k. to put a small clamp on there to keep it from leaking? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

What size clamp did you guys use? Also did you order it from the dealer or did you just go to your local parts store.

why did you guys need to add a clamp? is there an inherent problem with this hose or is there a mod you guys did that's causing the leak?

edit: read the whole first post...nevermind

Go to an auto supply store that carries the Help brand of products. You should be able to find a container of small slip-type hose clamps (the kind you squeeze with pliers to open up). Couple of bucks, you get 8 or 10 clamps. Just find the one that fits best and put it on. Best thing is it looks factory.

optic said:
Take it back to the dealer... There is a TSB on the hose.

Johnny

Yeah I know they've replace it twice. But they don't use a clamp so it just keeps happening.

I appologize for the threadjacking, but I'm having a issue with the cooling system and I'm hoping this thread has answered my question...got about 10k on my MSP6 and am starting to notice a coolant smell...like a small leak but no puddle...its more evidant now thats its warming up...I was going to let my dealership know when i take it in for my next oil change...maybe its this hose you guys keep talking about?...'cause if its something major, thats going to sway my decision on wether I purchase car after lease is up...or give it back...no other problems other than this...thanks for the help...

I put the clamp on the other day, so far so good. They definitely need to put a clamp on it instead of a smaller hose.

ju1cy1 said:
I appologize for the threadjacking, but I'm having a issue with the cooling system and I'm hoping this thread has answered my question...got about 10k on my MSP6 and am starting to notice a coolant smell...like a small leak but no puddle...its more evidant now thats its warming up...I was going to let my dealership know when i take it in for my next oil change...maybe its this hose you guys keep talking about?...'cause if its something major, thats going to sway my decision on wether I purchase car after lease is up...or give it back...no other problems other than this...thanks for the help...
I had the same issue, but it was not leaking from the overflow area. Mine was leaking from the hose that goes above the air intake hose leading into the thermostat housing. I first had the smell, then I noticed the dried antifreeze on the tranny. I placed a clamp on the hose until I make it to the dealer.

I checked today and i think your on to something...I found small puddling just under trans linkage(???)...in front of electric fan...theres a radiator hose just above the puddles...and you guys are right...doesn't Mazda believe in clamps...i grew up with domestic and i swear the motor was held together by them...I'll let the dealership deal with it(its thier car anyhow(sssh) )plus any work should be covered....(homework)

Back