HOW TO: Change your own oil

I want to thank everyone in this thread especially dommo_g for such an awsome write up. I was able to knock out my first Speed 3 oil change quickly and efficiently. I was also able to get some filters in bulk with a free filter wrench with information posted here. Thanks guys!!!!!!!

It really isnt once you neatly widen that service hole, it will allow you to change the oil and filter without having to take off the bottom plastic cover.

Yeah, I widened the hole so I'm not taking off the bottom tray everytime, much easier. But why is the hole offset in the first place, fits another 3 or is the standard 3's filter located there????

9/29/07: Another note, it's recommended to replace the crush washer on the drain plug. It's an aluminum washer that is apparently only good for one tightening. The drain plug doesn't have a built in rubber washer like other cars. These can be had from the dealer's parts department also. They rip you off on them, so I'm going to see about finding another source for these. A fair price would be about a quarter each, not the dollar something the dealer charges.

I'm about to do my first oil change. Can anyone shed some light on the washer mentioned in the quote above? I don't see where in the original post this washer comes into play. Also, I don't want to drain my oil and run into a situation where I can't put the drain plug back on properly due to a missing washer. Do you guys know what size the washer is? I saw some next to the oil wrenches at the auto store, so maybe I can get a pack of washers there.

Speaking of oil wrenches, I just bought a generic oil filter wrench. Will this be enough, or do I REALLY need that special mazda thing? (I also have a socket wrench and a torque wrench.)

Get the wrench from Mazda. Below is were I got mine. The kit is a great deal but the washers seam high. I bought them anyway so I know I'm getting all my oil change parts from mazda and will not have to worry about warranty issues. These parts are from the same dealer.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/genuine-mazda-oilfilter.html

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-pan-drain-plug-washer.html

Thanks. But do I REALLY need that special mazda wrench part? I mean, can someone tell me that a regular generic oil wrench will not work? I'd rather spend 6 bucks within walking distance of my place instead of driving way out and paying top dollar for four expensive mazda filters just to get some silly wrench thing.

And if someone knows of another source for these washers, please post. Or if someone knows the size or whatever...

The wrench is FREE when you buy a set of filters. 5 filters and a FREE wrench for $23.80 plus shipping. If you can't afford that you should have bought a cheaper car. You won't find the filters any cheaper than that.

I would use the Mazda wrench due to people cracking the plastic housing on the filter cover. Your oil will leak out fast and your $22,000 car will need a new $5000 engine. It has happened many times due to using the wrong wrench and/or over tightening the filter housing.

If I were you I would go to Wal Mart and buy a cheap wrench. Whats life with out a little risk.

Good Luck.

Oil Change Info

The aluminum gasket for the oil drain bolt is available in a bulk pack of 5 - Genuine Mazda # 99564-1400.
You may find nylon washers in the same size that would be cheaper and reusable each oil change.
The other thing I noticed was that the green "o" rings (large and small) supplied with filters are a little smaller than originals.
You can also use a Ford filter kit (ZZCA-23-802) in the 2.3L engine.
The filter cartridge in the container is spring loaded and must be pushed up to engage the threads in the oil filter housing.
The most time consuming part of the whole procedure is the removal and re-installation of the engine splash pan. (dunno)

The aluminum gasket for the oil drain bolt is available in a bulk pack of 5 - Genuine Mazda # 99564-1400.
You may find nylon washers in the same size that would be cheaper and reusable each oil change.
The other thing I noticed was that the green "o" rings (large and small) supplied with filters are a little smaller than originals.
You can also use a Ford filter kit (ZZCA-23-802) in the 2.3L engine.
The filter cartridge in the container is spring loaded and must be pushed up to engage the threads in the oil filter housing.
The most time consuming part of the whole procedure is the removal and re-installation of the engine splash pan. (dunno)
The reason the new green O-rings seem smaller is that they swell a bit with use so the used ones are bigger. This is a real good reason why they should be replaced with every filter change.

I just bought my used speed3 about a week ago from carmax and after hearing about all these o-rings and washers needing to be replaced do you think I should change my oil again so I know it was done right? Or should I just trust that carmax did a good job changing the oil when they certified it. All these horror stories of dealerships and oil changes are scaring me!

I just bought my used speed3 about a week ago from carmax and after hearing about all these o-rings and washers needing to be replaced do you think I should change my oil again so I know it was done right? Or should I just trust that carmax did a good job changing the oil when they certified it. All these horror stories of dealerships and oil changes are scaring me!
Why would carmax change the oil? It was probably done by the previous owner. If you didn't get the service records with the car, you should probably change it, just to make sure it is done right and can start your change intervel on your own schedule. If you did get the records, they should say what oil was put in and if it is a Mazda dealer, they probably used the correct filter & o-rings (unless they didn't of course).

Carmax said that they change the oil on every car they put on their lot. They weren't allowed to release any records to me because they had the previous owners name on it and would be a confidentiality issue. I think I want to change it anyway so I can start running synthetic.

Hmm. Okay I've heard enough warning here and elsewhere. I'm going to return my oil wrench and FRAM filter to the auto store and swing by the local mazda dealer to pick up the OEM stuff. If they're asking too much there, I'll just buy this deal online:
http://www.mazdaparts.org/genuine-mazda-oilfilter.html
http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-pan-drain-plug-washer.html

The prices at the site linked above sounded good until I got ready to checkout and they were going to charge me nearly $15 for UPS Standard Shipping!!!!! What a bunch of crap. Anyone know of a place that doesn't rip you a new one on shipping where you can get those washers?

Latest posts

Back