HOW TO: Change your own oil

You are supposed to run the engine before sucking the oil out. The engine is supposed to be warm when you use the vacuum extraction method. If this is the case, any particulates should be suspended in the oil when it is sucked out.

-Mark

just changed my oil ... man its time consuming too ... I bought ramps also for 50 bux so i'm sure it helped rather than jacking the car up

It really isnt once you neatly widen that service hole, it will allow you to change the oil and filter without having to take off the bottom plastic cover.

I used this how to thread when changing my oil. it was excellent and informative. Thanks a lot. The longest part of doin this was jacking up the car.

Check the very first post in this thread. It has a picture of the wrench with the Mazda part number, plus it even has some specs on the label. You can get it from one of our sponsors. At one time there was a deal if you bought several filters (6 I think) they threw in the wrench.

What sponsor has it? I know that the filter is supposed to be torqued to 20 ft-lbs but is that tighter than hand tight? Because I bought this spider type oil wrench and it only loosens not tighten so I am wondering if I need to return it and get the one from Mazda.

Update:
After using the OEM Mazda oil filter for 8000km, I had no leaks what so ever. So my advice, do not buy any after market cartridge filters, especially FRAM filters. They will start leaking after a few thousand kilometres.

Dennis

It seems to me that the only way an aftermarket filter could cause a leak in a system like that on the Speed3 is if the filter was slightly longer than stock. This would prevent the cover from sealing tightly against the base. On the other hand, if the filter was shorter than specified, you might have a situation where there were no leaks to the outside, but internally some of the oil is blowing right by the cartridge and back into the engine.
The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to convert to spin on.

What's the proper type of containers? Like an empty water gallon jug or?

I know I can't reuse the new bottles, cause it's stupid :p
I use an old 2.5 gallon gas can for waste oil. It's painted flat black with "waste oil only" on it.
With three cars and two bikes I generate my share of waste oil.

Jim

I use an old 2.5 gallon gas can for waste oil. It's painted flat black with "waste oil only" on it.
With three cars and two bikes I generate my share of waste oil.
Jim

That is an excellent suggestion. With a car, truck, motorcycle, assorted yard equipment, I will definitely put that to use. Thank you.

I tried to do this today and could not get the cartridge loose for the life of me. Every time I would get the black plastic thingy on there and go to losen it, it would just slip off...

I tried to do this today and could not get the cartridge loose for the life of me. Every time I would get the black plastic thingy on there and go to losen it, it would just slip off...

What were you using to get it loose? Was it the MAzda tool?

No, generic tool that had the same size.

make sure you have the right tool. I bought a generic tool from advance auto and they had a 15 flute in a 14 flute package. The way to check and make sure its the right one, look on the inside of the cup and it should say something like:

_14
74/76

At least I believe thats the right size. My dealer quoted me $30 for the cup wrench and it was a "special order item" and I told him that was ridiculous and went to advance and paid $4.98

Check on eBay or save a Search for them so eBay emails you when they show up...I got a dozen filters about 3 weeks ago for $48.00 + shipping, OEM Mazda.

Payment Details

Purchased From:
pixel.gif
rspsapTransaction ID:
pixel.gif
50K218110D297613E
Item #Item TitleQuantityPriceSubtotal160189343752https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)1$48.50 USD$48.50 USD

I hesitate to buy in bulk because I'd hate to have a few yrs worth of filter when they come out with an even better one.... cause thats my luck, you know?

Just changed mine for the first time today. It went pretty smooth. I've changed oil on many cars before, but this write up helped me since the mazda is a little different than those cars.

Thanks!

wow thanks for the write up! I didn't know the 3 takes almost 6 quarts! What an oil hog...the protege5 only used 4. This makes oil changes a little more expensive lol

Back