Reset ECU?

In the RX8 there was a way to reset the ECU manually, not sure what the technical stuff behind it but you:

1. Hold the odo reset button in while you turn the battery on (not the car) and hold for about 10 seconds, you'll see the word test appear and you can scroll through these weird menu's.

2. Turn battery on and and pump the brake about 20 times in a row, the oil meter will suddenly go up and down and you know you did it right.

Now you had to do both of the above to reset. I tried #1 in the speed and got the same result, but of course there is no oil gauge so #2 does not work. Anyone have any idea how to reset?? It was nice to do every once in awhile especially in the RX8, car feels very, very slow after the ECU learns your habits.

BuckyBoost said:
In the RX8 there was a way to reset the ECU manually, not sure what the technical stuff behind it but you:

1. Hold the odo reset button in while you turn the battery on (not the car) and hold for about 10 seconds, you'll see the word test appear and you can scroll through these weird menu's.

2. Turn battery on and and pump the brake about 20 times in a row, the oil meter will suddenly go up and down and you know you did it right.

Now you had to do both of the above to reset. I tried #1 in the speed and got the same result, but of course there is no oil gauge so #2 does not work. Anyone have any idea how to reset?? It was nice to do every once in awhile especially in the RX8, car feels very, very slow after the ECU learns your habits.
You can reset it with a scan tool like this: http://www.auterraweb.com/dyforwiusb.html.

Or you can disconnect the battery, hold the brake down for a couple of minutes which turns on the brake lights to discharge any residual charge in capacitors and things, then reconnect it. You will lose your radio presets, NAV settings, trip computer stored values, and trip ODO settings too.

You can reset it with a scan tool like this: http://www.auterraweb.com/dyforwiusb.html.

Or you can disconnect the battery, hold the brake down for a couple of minutes which turns on the brake lights to discharge any residual charge in capacitors and things, then reconnect it. You will lose your radio presets, NAV settings, trip computer stored values, and trip ODO settings too.

I've got a base model 06 mazda 3. It's a manual, and I installed aftermarket cruise control. Supposedly the last step in the process is to get my computer reset. The computers on manual transmissions have the cruise control function blocked initially while auto transmission computers allow it. Anyways, wondering if the process listed above would reset the cruise function as well because I dont want to pay the 85 bucks the dealership just quoted me.

I've got a base model 06 mazda 3. It's a manual, and I installed aftermarket cruise control. Supposedly the last step in the process is to get my computer reset. The computers on manual transmissions have the cruise control function blocked initially while auto transmission computers allow it. Anyways, wondering if the process listed above would reset the cruise function as well because I dont want to pay the 85 bucks the dealership just quoted me.

Nope, you have to add a line of code to the ecu to enable cruise

I always heard you disconnected the battery and turned the key like you were going to start it. In about a heartbeat, whatever residual juice was in the system is gone.

Nope, you have to add a line of code to the ecu to enable cruise

So I took the car to the dealer to try and get that line of code added. They said they "reflashed" the ecu. Cruise still doesnt function, and I'm positive its hooked up right, because we already installed the same system on an automatic. Is the "reflash" what I needed, or do i need a more specific operation?

Back