Ceramic coating????????

LX_StreetGlow

Contributor
:
'03 LX Pearl Black A/T
hey guys i was just wonderin if any of yaa kno where in town can i get my headers ceramic coated???? thx

peace

why would you want to do that?

is it the stock header?

aftermarket? chrome?

if it's stock i would recommend just using a header wrap although it will reduce the life of the header, will probably be much cheaper than getting it coated in a ceramic type coating.

unfortunatly i don't know anyplace that does ceramic coating, try talking to a few body/paint shops, but the header gets hot so any coating that they spray and put on there has the off chance to crack and peel....

i think ur headers are good enough to the point where you won't need to do it.

i think it's the fact that they discolor over time that he wants to do it, steve

actually my headers are not good enuf heheh, they startin to crack at sum of the welded points :( i'm thinkin of replacin them so i wanted to coat new one... when i get it ....

peace

LX_StreetGlow said:
actually my headers are not good enuf heheh, they startin to crack at sum of the welded points :( i'm thinkin of replacin them so i wanted to coat new one... when i get it ....

peace

is it because of use or abuse that they're cracking ? i thought they were good headers ? i think if ur getting new ones just get ceramic headers, or ones that come coated.

LX_StreetGlow said:

peace

From the way I understand it, coating them will cause them to fail sooner, just like if they were wrapped. Most people ceramic coat headers to keep them from giving off parasitic heat to other components under the engine bay, not to strengthen them.

I could be hideously mistaken, tho... but i seem to remember from high school physics that most ceramic compounds are good insulators.

R2s99zoom said:
I could be hideously mistaken, tho... but i seem to remember from high school physics that most ceramic compounds are good insulators.

that is very correct but i do believe it's only the difference of like maybe 5-10 deg F

if they are cracked you can get them welded so they don't leak, but if you want a ceramic coat just buy a new one with the coating already, will probably be cheaper in the long run.

jet hot = badass stuff ;)

alphanumeric said:
is it because of use or abuse that they're cracking ? i thought they were good headers ? i think if ur getting new ones just get ceramic headers, or ones that come coated.

(sorry off-topic) That's "kinda" why i didnt settle for an OBX header right away.. i wanted to widen my options and choose the best possible one.. is OBX a "slightly generic" brand? oh well, a header is a header i guess..

I will ask some performance shops for you Aleks.. I would probably recomend "trying" new types just to broaden your experience with different types of headers..

I think Steve is right tho, just buying one that is already powder coated would most likely be cheaper than buying one, THEN powder coating it..

(this is all in my own opinion tho)

Good luck with that!

Peace,
RJ

oh and btw RJ if u ask around u'll find out that obx headers are not bad at all, actually i did my research b4 i got these, and i found out they were the best for the price, many others who were more expensive had fitman issues and such.

i think the reason why mine started to crack is cuz i've been pushin my car to much and also, b4 i got the motor mounts, my engine used to rock back and forth like crazy, so maybe they also got a bit demaged in that process

peace

n thx guys

LX_StreetGlow said:
b4 i got the motor mounts, my engine used to rock back and forth like crazy, so maybe they also got a bit demaged in that process

bingo.....

wow i didn't know they had bling bling jet hot now!!!!

i want to get my kart's exhaust blinged out!

so how do i do it,... do i need to send them my new header once i get it or there's a shop in town that will do it????

U contact them to talk about what u wanna get done, etc, etc.....and then u just ship them the piece u wanna get coated. They do the coating process in-house at JET HOT, and turn around time is usually a week after they recieve it.

You send em this....

MSP_CorkSport_Power_Series_Downpipe.jpg

and u get this...

CS_Downpipe.JPG

CitizenPro said:
U contact them to talk about what u wanna get done, etc, etc.....and then u just ship them the piece u wanna get coated. They do the coating process in-house at JET HOT, and turn around time is usually a week after they recieve it.

You send em this....

MSP_CorkSport_Power_Series_Downpipe.jpg

and u get this...

CS_Downpipe.JPG

as paris would say.... that's hot!

Back