wheel bearings

Tzar177

Contributor
i think the time has come that my wheel bearings need replacing. theres an annoyingly loud noise at highway speeds....sounds like i have an extra engine. a friend of mine had wheel bearings replaced in his saturn after having similiar noises and was fixed. just wondering if thats the same issue here. also, where exactly is the wheel bearing located

Last edited:
Sounds like the same issue. Bearing is pressed into the hub. Bearing is about 40 bucks or so. You will need a to get the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in. You will also need a wheel alignment afterwards.

I just ordered 2 bearings and 2 seals from montgomery mazda. Could i just remove the hub itself and take it to the shop? How hard would it be to get off

So i jacked up the car, and the left wheel has some play in it. Looks like thats the culprit bearing, but i've already ordered 2 bearings so i guess i'll so ahead and replace both.

anyone know if i could take my bearings that i bought from montgomery mazda dealer to my local mazda dealer and they install them or would they fuss and not install them cuz i didnt buy them from their specific dealer

they should do it...i don't think it would be a problem...that's less down time for them if they would need to order the parts.

i have noise in my bearings too. imagine a ring of bearings, two r missing and the set is not tight, now the bearings jingle beside each other. thats the noise i hear. cud my explanation be the actual problem? braking doesnt make it go away.

got both my front wheel bearings replaced. woot!. all my annoying highway noise is GONE. I shoulda done this LONG ago. Only costed me 258$ for labor.

hey. the same thing happened to me.. you are going down the interstate and whenever you get to a slight cruve you get the loud annoying noise..

I only had to get my front right berring replaced... but WOW .. i had lost ALL memory of what life was like without the noise

nah no bad noise, window and radio have to be down, and focus to hear it just sounds like bearing balls bumping each other. speaking of bump...bump

red99pro said:
nah no bad noise, window and radio have to be down, and focus to hear it just sounds like bearing balls bumping each other. speaking of bump...bump

Mine didnt sound like that. I just had a loud friction type noise like metal rubbin on metal anytime the wheel was spinning...was just worse on the highway and then would make clicking sounds when i turned left. I had the mechanic save my old bearings and the bearing i knew was bad, it was really chewed up. I'll post up a pic of it when i get a chance

Mine didn't need an alignment...after the bearing install, we hooked it up to the alignment machine and it was right on the dot for specs! I guess I put everything back together fine..

I still have the metal to metal rubbin sounds. Only happens/hear it at slow speeds and coming outta turns. This is really annoying. Its gotten worse since the new bearings install. The right bearing doesnt look like it sits flush in the hub. Gonna take it back to the shop monday and have em look at it i guess. Anyone have any words here?

nah. your noise really doesn't sound like all of ours that also had berrings replaced. Maybe PM kooldino and ask him. If it's possible to go wrong in the MP3 he's either had it go wrong or helped someone fix it who had the problem

well i lubed up the gap between the right bearing and the hub. Went for a drive and the noise was pretty much gone, so i am almost assured its the bearing not being properly installed.

should i take it back to the shop and have em look at it if they will? or should i just grease it up?

Back