Reliable?

WRSX

Well, I'm considering a new car, the MS3 is one of my picks. After reading some of the post on here I've noticed some ppl have issues with their cars, which leads me to wonder, is the MS3 a smart buy? Are mazdas usually hit or miss situation?

WRSX said:
Well, I'm considering a new car, the MS3 is one of my picks. After reading some of the post on here I've noticed some ppl have issues with their cars, which leads me to wonder, is the MS3 a smart buy? Are mazdas usually hit or miss situation?

You cant go by the posts... its a forum... it will always be skewed to "unreliable"... how many people post "Nothing is wrong with my car... just another happy camper here" vs "crap my car died"

Yeh I second that, usually the forum is for experiences others have to learn from. Ive heard a bunch of things go crazy on a lot of different new cars. My friends moms cadillac truck has been in and out of the shop over 10 times in the past year, its a 2006, my other buddies throwout bearing was shot at 5000mi on his 2006 Wrx, not to mention a lot of different Ecu problems. Stuff happens, this is the first production year for the MS3 so like all first you expect a few quirks here and there, to be fair I would listen in on the other cars forums your looking at and compare your final thoughts.

I honestly believe Mazda is a pretty solid company, I was a strong Dsm fan that in time was swayed, otherwise id have an Evo, I dont think any car is 100% perfect anymore, theres just too much stuff to go wrong, and turbo cars are extra sensitive.

Last edited:
On the whole I'd rate Mazdas reliability as Above Average. I bought my P5 with 41K on the odo and at 73K its not let me down once. Oil changes and basic maintenace. Same for the Wifes protege. Over 100K and not a hiccup.

However I am STILL a DISI skeptic. Its a solid and well built motor but I'm wary of turbos in general.

So as a mazda enthusiast I say GO FOR IT! THe MS3 is an amazing car and the 2.3 DISI is something special and I think once all the power loss bugs and first year are ironed out, it will prove itself to be quite the good block.

But for me personally I would not get one due to my preference for NA power. I'm really hoping the new Mazda6 gets the uprated V6 because the wife and I REALLY want a 6 for our next car.

Mazda is underrated

WRSX said:

I've owned over 6 Mazda's with over 400,000 miles combined and all of them have been solid. The only time my Mazda came close to failing me was when a squirrel camped out in my 1995 Protege's engine bay and chewed through one of the distributor wires. The car still ran on 3 cylinders and got me home.

I think Mazda is WAY underrated. I'd rate it's quality/reliability just under that of Honda and Toyota, while it's fun factor easily eclipses them. I think I said this once before, but one of the reasons Mazda owner's are so critical is because we LOVE our cars and take it harder than most when our cars are less than perfect. We don't like being without our cars because they're fun and having to drive a rental other than Mazda reinforces how much we miss them.

I've worked in customer service and quality for a long time and it's a know fact that people only complain and rarely offer praise.

I was speaking to an engineer at a party a few years back who was fortunate enough to tour several automobile companies- Mazda, Toyota, Audi and GM. He said that Toyota was very conservative and NEVER liked being the first to adopt a new technology, Audi loved getting into the newest hi-tech feature (as well as the majority of European makes), while GM and other American company's would throw last minute changes in all the time. Mazda he said was one of those company's that rode the line of offering hi-tech and reliable autos. It's important to remeber that Mazda is a relatively small car company compared to the likes of giants like Toyota and GM. That they are able to offer well-built and exciting cars at more then competitive prices is a testament to their engineering abilities (oh and Ford's buying power :).

Latest posts

Back