Truth about K-Sports?

Shadow102 said:
so in a related question has anyone ever contacted koni about making protege specific shocks...i mean the chassis seems pretty popular for lower end racing and was even a good chassis for a while in speed world touring.

Koni's won't be made for the Proteges, I don't think there is enough demand for it.

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
Koni's won't be made for the Proteges, I don't think there is enough demand for it.

Unfortunately most people don't realize how easy it really is to put the Konis into the OEM strut bodies...

As for suspension engineers claiming you tune by feel, yes, but only after you've come to the best starting point from the data you've gathered. If setting up shocks was done only by feel, you wouldn't have teams spending thousands of dollars on shock engineers.

When someone experiences an increase in performance from cheap coilovers I'd wager its mostly from lowering the center or gravity and increasing the spring rate, even when the struts are subpar.

Last edited:
low_psi said:
Unfortunately most people don't realize how easy it really is to put the Konis into the OEM strut bodies...

When someone experiences an increase in performance from cheap coilovers I'd wager its mostly from lowering the center or gravity and increasing the spring rate, even when the struts are subpar.

is it rly that easy to put the konis in the OEM strut boddies?

and i totally agree with the second statement along with the adjustability of camber you usually get

Search for a thread called Koni Insert Info. Jeff and I have some good drawings and info posted in there. I believe Jeff used a different rear insert than the part number I listed though.

Khaosman drove my car on Koni SA inserts at Nationals last year. His car has JIC coilovers on them. He said he couldn't believe how much smoother my car felt even though my spring rates were higher than his car. JIC has been under attack lately because of the exact same quality control that we see in the Ksports.

phoenixR34 said:
Now i can't say this is the answer, but just my guess.. Buy some Teins for $900 and you get the complete package - springs, collars, camber plates, mounts etc. Buy Koni DAs, or even SA and you spent 130-220 a shock.. then you need coilover sleeves, springs, upper mounts, camber plates etc., and more often than not it ends up costing more. Then of course in my case I had to send off my Konis (350Z) to get shortened etc.. If you spend $800-1000 on shocks alone, vs $800 for a complete setup, of course there will be a difference in quality. I'm still interested in dyno testing my Koni DA's to see what/if there is a difference.

The only Tein coilover kit available for the Protege chassis doesn't have a camber plate. It also uses a non-standard spring so changing the spring rates is impossible unless you get the springs directly from Tein. The Teins have been proven less exact than Konis and Bilstiens as well, but I'm having trouble locating the article.

xelderx said:
It also uses a non-standard spring so changing the spring rates is impossible unless you get the springs directly from Tein.

so the k-sports use a standard spring...say the GC eibach...i assume i can just order those springs and swap them in

Shadow102 said:
so the k-sports use a standard spring...say the GC eibach...i assume i can just order those springs and swap them in

When you mean by standard spring, do you mean a 2.5" I.D. Spring. If it is, then yes, you can swap them.

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
Brand New out of the Box.

The Adjustment is for Rebound...

/Discuss
...just wanted to extend my thanks for posting this, Jeff. It's great to see a visual of why and just how much low-end dampers suck. I know it's a lot of work for you guys having to defend yourselves online after every post, but I'd absolutely be enthralled if you guys could reveal the lousy products you come across more often. (Of course, the people who made the mistake of buying this crap will get upset, but I think everyone has to learn somehow!)

My own experience with K-Sports (actually D2's, sister brand) on a Mazda6 gets even worse: they lasted a month before horrible clunking, luckily within the 90 day warranty. The redesigned replacement rear shocks (an answer to the quickly wearing rear which I never received, but a friend did) completely lacked bump resistance. It was an outsourced Tokico non-adjustable twin-tube (I paid for an adjustable design) but with one of the two internal valves completely absent!!!

Last edited:
it sad to know that even k-sport as "the afortable" choice is not anymore the right choice.

jeff, i app you're help cuz i was about to buy a set (cheapest so far) but i changed my mind , on the other hand what do you recomend?? coz i got to get something you know (poke)

beter yet , why don't you guys make a kit ?? you guys know the car and whats needed ??

Last edited:
Can anybody answer this question about the Ksport coilovers?

Q: Are the struts wet shocks or a shock insert cartridge?

They dont look like cartridges...but what the hell do I know, apparently I'am and idiot for buying them in the first place (blowup)

low_psi said:
Search for a thread called Koni Insert Info. Jeff and I have some good drawings and info posted in there. I believe Jeff used a different rear insert than the part number I listed though.

can you elaborate on the koni's insert deal that you and jeff have tried allready ??????
maybe we can go from there and make a good set up .

Back