5 gear swap

noob2protege5

:
protege5
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_74&products_id=162

I found this, which is one possible solution to the high revving P5. Has anyone done this? if so, what have been your experience? Concerns are, passing, Downshifting. It would be scary having to downshift to 4th revving like 5k to pass because at 65-70 the engine is revving like 2.8k-3.2k. My thought has always been if I we change 5th, then 4th would be changed as well to help smooth out the curve.

Another solution which I would like to do, but haven't found anyone who has done it yet, change out the final gear connected to the diff. The advantage of this is, no messing around with the tranny. This would lower the RPM on all the gears providing no feeling of missing a gear. But being slow off the line cause the first would be affected.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death, so if you don't want to talk about it again, just provide a link to your favorite quotes.

Thats just what we need, to be slower off the line. If anything I would want taller rear gears and sacrifice top end speed.

I'm pretty sure this is only the 5th gear...the other gears would remain the same, allowing for a quick takeoff AND better fuel economy...

I'm also pretty sure that taller gears mean higher top speed, not viceversa.

I'm not sure this mod would be that good or beneficial for vehicles not seeing lots of HWY miles/Km's.

3000 RPM at 70 MPH or 120KM/H sound like a great deal to me (I do lots of HWY driving)...less noise from the engine compartment, increased mileage/kilometreage...= more comfort and money in my wallet...

I drove a Civic Si until a couple months ago, and the P5 manual feels staggeringly tall in comparison. Highway driving in the Si was easily 4500-5000 rpm in 5th depending on how illegal you are ; ), but thats just how Honda builds their engines. The P5 is much more comfortable on the highway, but doesn't rev as smoothly and the tranny feels much more clunky. I accelerate to 30-35 mph in the city, and then have to DOWNSHIFT because I got too excited with the stick. I'll get used to it I guess...

noob2protege5 said:
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_74&products_id=162

I found this, which is one possible solution to the high revving P5. Has anyone done this? if so, what have been your experience? Concerns are, passing, Downshifting. It would be scary having to downshift to 4th revving like 5k to pass because at 65-70 the engine is revving like 2.8k-3.2k. My thought has always been if I we change 5th, then 4th would be changed as well to help smooth out the curve.

When it comes to passing, if I am doing 70mph or below, I will throw that sucker into 3rd gear and punch it. It doesnt redline in 3rd until over 80mph. I think 4th gear 5k is close to 100mph. no worries about downshifting to 4th. 4th gear is so close to 5th that sometimes I forget to shift to 5th on the freeway for a few miles.

qualityrockola said:
When it comes to passing, if I am doing 70mph or below, I will throw that sucker into 3rd gear and punch it.
Wow. "Drive it like you stole it" fo' shure. Someday I'll have to try that. Like when I have second car.

The Short Bus said:
Wow. "Drive it like you stole it" fo' shure. Someday I'll have to try that. Like when I have second car.

lol, Im not doing anything especially bad for the car. like I said, I shift at or before the redline, I dont overrev it, and I match the revs before i release the clutch. I dont see anything wrong with that.

hmm. this interesting b/c i've never seen this before. i was just thinking about sound deadening my entire car. i'm going to have to go home and test what the sound diff is btwn 3k and 3.5k. i def. hate the engine's droning noise on the highway.

Back