problems with my tranny

_MSprotegy

:
03 MSP & 06 MS6
i am having problems with my transmission. sometimes i cant get into first gear when im at a stop, and other times i cant get into reverse without the gear grinding. the first gear issue started a while back but would go away. the reverse issue just started a couple of days ago. the reverse grinds when i try to back into my driveway or into a parking spot, but it never grinds when i back out of my driveway or parking spot.

has this happens to anyone else or is my car turning into crap as we speak.

_MSprotegy said:
i am having problems with my transmission. sometimes i cant get into first gear when im at a stop, and other times i cant get into reverse without the gear grinding. the first gear issue started a while back but would go away. the reverse issue just started a couple of days ago. the reverse grinds when i try to back into my driveway or into a parking spot, but it never grinds when i back out of my driveway or parking spot.

has this happens to anyone else or is my car turning into crap as we speak.

first issue - sounds like a bent shift fork. No real EASY fix for this.

second issue, make sure you are @ a complete stop (which you probably do) if this is the case, try shifting into 1st/5th first THEN shift into reverse. The reverse gear has no synchronizer and can grind easier.

Best "band-aid" fix I can think of (for both issues) would be to change to a better gear oil. Have you ever changed the trans fluid? if so, with what? and how many miles are on the car.

no i havent changed my tranny fluid and the car has 95000+ miles. so i think i will be changing it soon. so how can i phisically see/tell that i have a bent fork?

Back