Oil Change Interval

goldwing2000

Turd in the punch bowl
:
2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles
speed_addict said:
sweet! let me know- i would be interested to know what you find out!

Ok... so I FINALLY got around to sending my oil (from last October) in for analysis.

And the verdict is:

They told me I could go even longer!! (cabpatch)

The details:
2004 Mazda3s
AEM CAI
Mobil1 5W20 oil
Mobil1 "Extended Performance" oil filter
9,872 miles!

The comments:
Blackstone Labs said:
KANE: Universal averages show typical wear metals for oil from this type engine after 5100 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use 9872 miles, and we found all wear reading around average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration (see silicon and insolubles) appear normal. This was 5W/20 engine oil with no fuel, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The TBN was 2.8, some active additive left. The oil could have stayed in use longer. Try 10,500 miles for the next oil change and check back to establish wear trends. Great engine!

Kick ass!! (rockon)

(thumb)

If that wasn't a green light to drive her with a little more enthusiasm, I dunno what is!

hey GW, long time since i seen you around.
I'll have to try that at some point; very cool service.

Hey Zoom,

Yeah, Antoine and Kooldino became asshats, so it kind of soured me on this whole place. I've been hanging out more on my Blazer forum when I'm online.

I figured this kind of thing was important enough to post up, though.

ZoomVT said:
hey GW, long time since i seen you around.
I'll have to try that at some point; very cool service.

Just a note of caution concerning drilled rotors: Because of very common cracking when heavy braking is called for, my track racing club DISCOURAGES drilled rotors. Many of the drilled rotors have had their hardness messed up because the holes have been drilled without proper heat controls, resulting in brittle areas around the holes. Money would be better spent on slotted rotors.(wiggle)

goldwing2000 said:
Hey Zoom,

Yeah, Antoine and Kooldino became asshats, so it kind of soured me on this whole place. I've been hanging out more on my Blazer forum when I'm online.

I figured this kind of thing was important enough to post up, though.

thats too bad man; you have a lot to contribute to this forum.
Now that there is alot more activity here maybe we will see you around a bit more?

chaos4 said:
Just a note of caution concerning drilled rotors: Because of very common cracking when heavy braking is called for, my track racing club DISCOURAGES drilled rotors. Many of the drilled rotors have had their hardness messed up because the holes have been drilled without proper heat controls, resulting in brittle areas around the holes. Money would be better spent on slotted rotors.(wiggle)

i see you are replying to me but you may be in the wrong thread as we are talking about oil here.

chaos4 said:
Just a note of caution concerning drilled rotors... blah, blah, blah...
ZoomVT said:
i see you are replying to me but you may be in the wrong thread as we are talking about oil here.

Seriously... pay attention and stay on topic, n00b.

ZoomVT said:
thats too bad man; you have a lot to contribute to this forum.
Now that there is alot more activity here maybe we will see you around a bit more?

Had. You'll notice they stripped my mod title.

It's become a little too much like m@zda3forums over here, so no... I don't see me being around much.
(good grief... can't even post the name of the other forum without it being considered a forbidden word. How nazi is that?)
Maybe on the Michigan forum to organize the club events and talk to local folks but that's about it.

yeah i did notice that; didnt you see i got your job?
lol
i admit that it was gettinglike that for a while but recently it has been its old self (except for the censoring... which we are hoping will be done away soon);
we could definitely use more knowledge around here.
There are a lot of new people coming in and asking lots of questions.

ZoomVT said:
we could definitely use more knowledge around here.
There are a lot of new people coming in and asking lots of questions.

Yeah, I poked around a bit and noticed that last night. New people not bothering to search and asking the same, tired, 3-year-old questions.

and you gave that dude s*** for not talking about oil??? (rofl)

and yes a lot of the same old questions are being asked... but with the number of new people vs. the number of old questions the ratio is much smaller then it used to was.

goldwing2000 said:
Yeah, I poked around a bit and noticed that last night. New people not bothering to search and asking the same, tired, 3-year-old questions.

Thats is what forums are for, to ask questions. But I agree, search before you ask.

It is known that oil will go much longer than car makers want us to think but what happens to the oil filter with 10000 miles - if it stops doing its job properly you might be causing more harm for the 30$ your trying to save

assman said:
It is known that oil will go much longer than car makers want us to think but what happens to the oil filter with 10000 miles - if it stops doing its job properly you might be causing more harm for the 30$ your trying to save

Yeah... that's why I send the oil in for analysis, which is the whole reason for this thread.

If the oil filter had stopped working efficiently, then it would have shown up in the analysis.

tsunami said:
and you gave that dude s*** for not talking about oil???
It's my thread and I can hijack it if I want to. :D

goldwing2000 said:
It's my thread and I can hijack it if I want to. :D

it was more directed at zoomvt but either way.... have you done this with any other vehichle? or do they have a database of engines and oil types they have done this on???

This is the first time I've done an analysis. It's the first time I've had a car worth analyzing. :D

I'm sure they have schloads of data on file but it's all going to be subjective. Driving style, conditions, vehicle make and age, geographical location... they all play a part. Best bet is to send in a sample of your own and see what they have to say.

Another good web site to check out is:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

That's where I started my research.

Latest posts

Back