Vacuum manifold and silicone hoses.

TiMSP4Me

:
2003.5 MSP #230
Hope you're all having a fine Saturday afternoon/evening. I was stuck at work all day, just about to head out.

At any rate, I was doing some reading and I'm thinking about replacing my current stock vacuum hoses with silicone hoses. I've also been doing some poking around on here and found that a vacuum manifold may not be a bad thing to do either.

Now then, based on my searching I found that you can buy a regular old manifold from mcmaster.com and use it as you would one from MAM or ProtegeGarage, etc. The one post I found stated that you could use these:

1) Aluminum Manifold with 3 ports (black) (part # 5469K113) is $13.63
Aluminum Distribution Manifold 3 Outlets, 3/8" NPT Inlet X 1/4" NPT Outlet

2) 1 pack of 5346K18 is $8.41 (10 barbs is included)
Brass Hose Fitting Barb X Male Pipe for 3/8" Hose ID, 1/4" Pipe

3) 1 Pack of 5346K11 is $7.06 (10 Barbs is included)
Brass Hose Fitting Barb X Male Pipe for 3/16" Hose ID, 1/8" Pipe

Later in the same thread, someone said this:

FYI with those barbs you need this manifold instead:
5469K111
$11.98
Aluminum Distribution Manifold 3 Outlets, 1/4" NPT Inlet X 1/8" NPT Outlet

So, which is it? Anyone know? I'm led to believe that the inlet is from the source. I was planning on tapping the brake booster line with a T before the check valve. So my assumption would be that the size of the inlet should be the size of that hose. Anyone know what size it is off the top of their head?

Seems to me from looking at what I quoted above, the second manifold goes with the barbs in #3 and the first manifold goes with the barbs in #2 since the outlet from the manifold matches the pipe size.

I'm thinking that I need the second manifold with the 1/8" outlets to match with the 3/16" ID barbs for the wastegate lines. Is that correct?

I also found in another post that a majority of the vacuum lines on the intake manifold are 3.5mm (5/32"). Can I upgrade those to 4mm (3/16") lines or should they stay 5/32"? I can't seem to find one way or another which is the way to go after searching.

Also in the same post I found that the PCV and crankcase ventilation should be 1/4" hose. Is it safe to assume I can run these from the same manifold, or will they not even be routed this way?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance.

-Matt

Code:
1 	1
Each 	5469K111 	
Aluminum Distribution Manifold 3 Outlets, 1/4" NPT Inlet X 1/8" NPT Outlet
	$11.98 	$11.98 	  	in the morning
2 	1
Pack 	5346K18 	
Brass Hose Fitting Barb X Male Pipe for 3/8" Hose ID, 1/4" Pipe, Packs of 10
	$8.41 	$8.41 	  	in the morning
3 	1
Pack 	5346K11 	
Brass Hose Fitting Barb X Male Pipe for 3/16" Hose ID, 1/8" Pipe, Packs of 10
	$7.06 	$7.06 	  	in the morning

Here is what I ordered to make this:
DSC09283.sized.jpg

I'm going to put it in line with the brake booster like you said... then run the extras to my BOV, boost gauge, and whatever else. Like this: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2925829&postcount=22

I'm confused by the rest of your post though. I'm not sure what you want to do with the PCV and stuff, you don't really want to do anything with that and a vacuum block. Sorry I can't help there. Hopefully I provided something of use to you :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That helps me out a bit.

I was planning on ordering part 5469K151 for the manifold since it has 6 ports and I can use them as necessary instead of only getting the 3 port and possibly needing more later. Just have to plug them up (part 50785K21 (more for my information))

Looking at your part list, I guess its safe to assume that the ID of the brake booster line is 3/8"? It also looks like the last part you listed was a coupling and not a T. You said you were putting this in-line with the booster so I'm not sure what the inclusion of that fitting is for.

Also on the post you mentioned, within that thread 505 says this:

505zoom said:
If you use the same source for the BOV, BPV, and wastegate, the car will not run as well. Instead, use the brake booster line for the BOV and BPV, then run a new untapped hose from the intake manny to the wastegate.

Does this still apply if using a vacuum block, or should I still continue to run the wastegate from the intake manifold directly?

And just ignore what I said about the PCV. This post had me confused: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3046080&postcount=5

It was just for replacing the lines and getting rid of the stock ones.

I came from owning and modding a 1st generation Neon before, so some of this stuff is totally foreign to me, but I'm trying to read as much as I can before going out and screwing something up.

I have the brake booster line off, I can go verify that it fits properly.

Good catch on that last part... I was using that for a different project entirely. I edited it out of my post.

I would imagine it applies to vacuum blocks as well. Maybe shoot him a PM and see what he says. If you do, post back what he says... I'm interested.

Understandable about the confusion, it is tough to figure things out just by reading. You really have to just try it. That and people can contradict each other and it gets even more confusing!

That would be cool if you could check the brake booster line out.

I sent a PM to 505 about the wastegate question. I'll post his response once I get it.

Thanks to this thread, that company just made a few more dollars. I ordered the 5 outlet manifold and the same fittings that yall have listed above. Thanks for the info.

Heh. No problem. I think this is a better alternative to the MAM, Boost Sciences or Vibrant ones. It's only $15 for a 6 port, plugs are only $0.51 apiece and to get all of the connectors you're still under $40. Only thing you have to buy are hoses and clamps, and possibly zip ties if you don't already have any.

3/8" is a perfect fit.

NAPA has hoses and clamps cheap. I don't think they are silicone hoses though.

Yes this thread is old, but I wanted to say thanks for the parts list. This will help me out when I do my vacuum lines. Any chance you have a parts list of the vacuum hose like lengths of each diameter needed?

frenchy92005 said:
so the t into the brake booster is 3/8?

Yes, like stated above.

livelyjay, I'd say about 2 feet 3/8" line for the brake booster, but you don't necessarily have to replace that. Then 5 to 10ft of 4mm hose for the accessories, depending what you have and where they are. I got some nice Samco silicone stuff from Summit for about $30-40.

Just remember to be careful when cutting into the brake booster line. There are valves in there that you have to be on the correct side of.

I will be running a boost gauge and the stock BPV off of the vacuum block. But I was also thinking about replacing the other stock vacuum lines as well. I know the intake manifold to wastegate should be replaced, but what other lines are important to replace? Zip ties are pretty ghetto and worm clamps aren't small enough to clamp a 4mm hose. What other clamping options are there?

FYI, I got this from *************'s web site, 1 pack would equal 10 feet:

MSP requires the following to replace the factory vacuum lines
2 packs 3.5mm (5/32") - majority of vacuum lines on intake manifold
1 pack 4mm (3/16") - wastegate actuator and emissions lines
1 pack 6.35(1/4") - PCV and crankcase ventilation

They sell a master pack for $105 plus $16 shipping. I think you can find a better price through Summit, Jegs, or S-Unit, but at least now you know how much you'll need to replace factory lines, and any accessories.

Yay, I have more to add to this, I swear I am not post whoring ....

There may be better places to buy silicone vacuum line. Just go to google and type in Samco silicone hose and search around. Since S-Unit offers free shipping, they may be the best to go with and they sell it by the foot, so you won't have to order 20' like at the other places when you only need 15'.

EDIT:

List of places to get hoses from:
St***tUnit.com - free shipping, order by the foot (blue, black, red)
SportHoses.com - order by 9'9" packs (blue, black, red, green, purple, yellow, orange)
*************.com - order by 10' packs, but somehow I think they are just reselling the same packs that SportHoses sells (blue, black, red, green, purple, yellow, orange)
BakerPrecision.com - order by 5', 10', 15', 20' packs (blue, red, black, silver)

In other words, just shop around and find the best deal.

Last edited:
i found this site real quick and the total was 61.26 something like that for the silcone hosing, here is a link to the website, i added a couple of extra feet just to be safe. But im at work so if anybody finds a place any cheaper let me know.

http://ww3.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?u...cone+Hose+-+6+MM+#AS-6T{/b}:1.57:0.00&product[]=%7Bbr%7DSelect+Color+-+Black%7Bbr%7DTotal+Price+1.57&qty=12&return=www.boostcontroller.com%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26category%3D8

I think you win. If you have to order a lot, boostcontroller.com wins, but you have to order a 10' minimum of any given length. They charge $8 flat rate shipping as well. So for the same amount of hose in the ************* kit, you can get it from boostcontroller.com for $54 shipped, or almost half the price. Great find fatti03msp.

wish there was a pic of the orange vac lines on the sporthoses.com and this is off topic but y did you put this St***tUnit.com whats with the ***.

Last edited:
Back