Interior color change

2003protege

:
Mazda Protege LX
So this is basically going to document my painting several of my interior panels a different color. I had painted them orange, which looked pretty cool (thumb), but I decided I wanted to go for something a bit more sophistocated probably a dark silver or something. Here's the original action. I also painted the panels surrounding the window controls.

interior.JPG

So far I've only completed a bit of sanding:

sanded.JPG

Hopefully I'll keep this up to date.

Last edited:
Glad to see that orange will be gone.....a wee bit too loud for this guy.

If you had a Spicy MSP I would say cool for the orange, but it looks out of place for a silver car with black and gray interior accents. I'd paint the radio surround two tone to match with the black/gray dash.

It would go great with a spicy, but I tend to feel that interiors can be separate from exteriors. I agree that it was a bit too much for the gray interior though. Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming.

So in between doing nothing, I've been painting my shifter/cupholder surround and also did touchup work on my emblem. I used all walmart paints for the job this time, so that keeps the price pretty cheap. The cupholder deal was recently sanded back to the plastic, so I did two light coats of primer on it, about 2 medium coats of silver, and I'm still in the process of clearing it - probably put about 6-7 layers of light clear on it. The emblem had already been painted and cleared, but it was really rough, so I wet sanded it a couple of weeks ago. I'll probably put about 4-5 layers of clear on it. Yay progress (cabpatch)

An in progress pic of the wet sanding (you can see the grainy quality):

wet-sand.jpg

And the pieces after several coats of clear:

shift-cup-emblem.jpg

i painted mine satin black and im gonna get the pillars, sun visors and headliner covered in black after i paint the car

Did this over the summer with one piece of mine for a little color inside. Doesn't look bad but I plan on covering it up with the DG carbon fiber surround. Your's looks good, silver is much better in my opinion. Keep it up!

CenterPainted.jpg

So I went ahead and put the shifter/cupholder surround back into the car, and I'm not sure if I just haven't seen a picture of a silver one in a car, but it looks really nice. Much better than I expected. I can't wait to see the rest of the pieces finished and installed!

progress.jpg

ALSO, if you noticed, the chrome paint on my shift knob is chipping off. For the people who read this, have you had/heard of problems like this? Is there a quick fix for that? I'm not in a exploratory mood, but I'm assuming that piece doesn't just pop off. I'm thinking of just machining a new knob, but who knows.

Last edited:
D-rock240 said:
What happened to your shift knob? Did you try and paint it or something?

no, it has a chrome paint on it, and it's starting to chip...rather, it's been *starting* for months now. I'll have to check out the 3's knob (maybe steal my brother's for a while as a joke) (stooges)

ctt 1982 said:
the shifter surround looks hot, good work. throw on the shift knob from the mazda 3, that would look good.

Find a Mazda 3 knob. I have one in my Protege and it looks way better then the stock one.

im just wondering how do you manage to get the parts out?

i looked around and couldnt find any how-tos or anything...mayb im not looking hard nuff T_T

jasony88 said:
im just wondering how do you manage to get the parts out?

i looked around and couldnt find any how-tos or anything...mayb im not looking hard nuff T_T

Tell ya what, when i get some time, I'll throw a how-to together with pics for all those pieces i've painted. I kind of wanted to, but just didn't plan on it. I know there are instructions on how to take each part out scattered throughout the forum, just not all in one place.

HPIM0333.JPGyeah i've also changed the inside color to match the outside...it gives it more of a flare at the shows and just when people look inside

Outkastedpro said:
View attachment 105074yeah i've also changed the inside color to match the outside...it gives it more of a flare at the shows and just when people look inside

Wow man, all that and you're still using the stock truck height shifter? (ughdance)

The paint does look nice though.

Outkastedpro said:
View attachment 105074yeah i've also changed the inside color to match the outside...it gives it more of a flare at the shows and just when people look inside

hey just wondering wut deck is that? i was thinking of getting a deck of that kind too...

mind me asking how much it was and if it was hard to install?

D-rock240 said:
Wow man, all that and you're still using the stock truck height shifter? (ughdance)

The paint does look nice though.

thanks i've done some more work...we are about to do the whole interior and i'm going to change it then...i know that it throws the whole thing off my girl has been compaining about it before we even made any modz!! lol

Back