Preparing for warm weather....

TiMSP4Me

:
2003.5 MSP #230
So, after reading on here for a bit, I've decided to make a post. Well, my 2nd post. lol.

Anyways, last year in April (or possibly March, all the months run together anymore), I bought my MSP. It was originally owned by protegeV from here on the forums. I bought it from CarMax.

I've changed the oil in it a couple of times with the Mazda filter and Mobil1 synth. I'm going to be changing it again in the next couple of weeks, but I was just curious what else I should be doing.

From the looks of it, I should probably change the PCV since I don't know when it was last changed. I also am going to replace the battery since the current one keeps dying (product of my playing the radio one day while cleaning the inside. lol). I've got a brand new Interstate battery ready to install, just been waiting for warmer weather.

I've also got some things I need to fix. The sub has stopped working, I need to pull it out and see if its blown or if the wires are loose. It hits every once in awhile, so I'm not sure. Also, my passenger rear door lock is not working. Whenever I hit the lock/unlock in the car or on the remote, it makes a funny whirring noise. Didn't find anything like that in a search except for one other person, but no responses to his thread from over a month ago.

I think that's about it for now. So, any suggestions on what else I should be checking or doing?

-Matt (nana)

TiMSP4Me said:
So, after reading on here for a bit, I've decided to make a post. Well, my 2nd post. lol.

Anyways, last year in April (or possibly March, all the months run together anymore), I bought my MSP. It was originally owned by protegeV from here on the forums. I bought it from CarMax.

I've changed the oil in it a couple of times with the Mazda filter and Mobil1 synth. I'm going to be changing it again in the next couple of weeks, but I was just curious what else I should be doing.

From the looks of it, I should probably change the PCV since I don't know when it was last changed. I also am going to replace the battery since the current one keeps dying (product of my playing the radio one day while cleaning the inside. lol). I've got a brand new Interstate battery ready to install, just been waiting for warmer weather.

I've also got some things I need to fix. The sub has stopped working, I need to pull it out and see if its blown or if the wires are loose. It hits every once in awhile, so I'm not sure. Also, my passenger rear door lock is not working. Whenever I hit the lock/unlock in the car or on the remote, it makes a funny whirring noise. Didn't find anything like that in a search except for one other person, but no responses to his thread from over a month ago.

I think that's about it for now. So, any suggestions on what else I should be checking or doing?

-Matt (nana)

First off all IF its a stock battery, they sucked from the beginging. The other buzzing noise sounds like the actuator for the door lock (motor) is binding, try removing the door panel and see if anything is binding it or maybe the motor has worn out. But have to at least see if it's the cheaper one. Good luck and congratulations on your purchase.

Yah, I think it is the stocker. Hoping to replace it today depending on the weather here. Supposed to be in the 60's here tomorrow and 70's on Friday. Only 50's today. Hoping to get the door off today also. Not sure how feasible that is going to be since the wife is having PC problems at work today.

Well, I found out the problem with the door lock. The little gear thing in the actuator is broken. Same as in this thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123661122&highlight=lock+actuator

I'll snap a closer pic of the broken piece, I'm just curious if it possible to find the same piece somewhere rather than replacing the whole actuator. The long part of it is threaded like a screw and it has the big gear on the end. Anyone seen these type of things for sale anywhere?

I also replaced the battery. The old one was a Panasonic. Not sure what the stockers were. Although I'm a little pissed because the Interstate I had was drained. It has been sitting in my backseat for probably a month though, so I'm not sure if that contributed to it. I'll have to take it to the place I bought it and let them test it.

Digging up my old post, I've attached the pictures as promised.

Also, there isn't a problem with my battery. I believe its my starter. The starter will start to engage, it will stop for a second or so and then the car will kick over and start. I hooked my charger up to the battery and its not pulling any amps under 2 or 10 amp charge, so the battery is charged. I took it to my mechanic and of course it wouldn't do it while I was showing him but based upon my explanation he said it sounded like the starter is pulling too many power and thus my car isn't starting.

I found some used starters on car-part.com, but I wasn't exactly sure if the MSP can take the starter from other 3rd gens. I would think so, but I didn't want to buy one before making sure. Anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 130
Back