Wheel vibration

Artimus

Hi, I have an 02 Protege 5 2.0L 65000 miles, had it since new, all stock, love it. I have been having an intermittant wheelshake, feel it in the whole car, I thought I had a flat, the brake pedal will pulse too. If I stop the car the front right wheel is hot. I does not pull and it does it intermitantly. I was thinking stuck caliper. Could it be a wheel bearing? Anyone else have this problem? It usually happens at about 40 mph and there is sometimes a burning brake smell. I've stopped driving it and was going to pull the wheel off but we got 15 inches of snow. Oh well blah blah blah, lol, thanks in advance!!

I had the wheel vibration for a while when we got hammered in CNY- but it was mostly due to the weather (Ice/Snow) now that we're hitting the 20's and 30's it stopped dowing it....

Is it just vibration or does any type of sound follow it?

Artimus said:
Hi, I have an 02 Protege 5 2.0L 65000 miles, had it since new, all stock, love it. I have been having an intermittant wheelshake, feel it in the whole car, I thought I had a flat, the brake pedal will pulse too. If I stop the car the front right wheel is hot. I does not pull and it does it intermitantly. I was thinking stuck caliper. Could it be a wheel bearing? Anyone else have this problem? It usually happens at about 40 mph and there is sometimes a burning brake smell. I've stopped driving it and was going to pull the wheel off but we got 15 inches of snow. Oh well blah blah blah, lol, thanks in advance!!

Wheels/Tires need balancing maybe? The pusling brake pedal sounds like warped rotor(s) though. How new/old are the tires? Have you had an alignment done recently?

The vibration is intermitant, if the rotors were warped, I would feel it when ever I brake, the tires are 1 year old, yes I got an alignment. I never checked the lugs though...maybe they are loose.

could be the balancing. The little weights they use to balance the tire on the inside of the rim may have fallen off.

Artimus said:
The vibration is intermitant, if the rotors were warped, I would feel it when ever I brake, the tires are 1 year old, yes I got an alignment. I never checked the lugs though...maybe they are loose.

How many miles on the tires? I'd check to see if the wheels are balanced like mentioned above. That's the only thing I've ever seen make the steering wheel vibrate.

dharman said:
could be the balancing. The little weights they use to balance the tire on the inside of the rim may have fallen off..

^^what he said

First thing to check, and it's a cheap solution like others have said...take your wheels and get them balanced. I was having some slight vibration at highway cruising speeds. Took the wheels in, got them balanced, all better now.

The puzzling thing is that sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. For example, I can be driving down a section of road going 40mph and it does it, the next day it doesn't.

Artimus said:
The puzzling thing is that sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. For example, I can be driving down a section of road going 40mph and it does it, the next day it doesn't.

Correlates with difference in weather, especially temps above or below freezing?

If ice freezes onto the wheel unevenly it will unbalance it.

Ok, I had to bang the crap out of it with a hammer to get it off. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the caliper. I don't remember it being that hard at all to get the caliper off to replace the pads.

The weights are all on, no bubble in the tire, no sign of a broken belt, no play in the wheel to lead me to believe that the wheel bearing is bad. The rims are fine no dings, just trashed from the salt up here.

Interestingly enough I got a flat on my stock tires which were new, my second set. I replaced 1 with a Nanking EX-500. 6 mos later it developed a split around the inside sidewall that was pretty serious(shocked). Now about a year later I get the wheel off to check the brakes and I see the same split around the inside sidewall again. Imagine that letting go on the highway at speed.

Guys, this site is the SEX!!

Last edited:
Back