Aftermarket fog light discussion thread

http://www.msprotege.com/vbb230/showthread.php?threadid=26232

NOTE: The wire colors are "solid color/stripe" if there is one color then there is no stripe.

1. Find the Fog Light relay. Located in the drivers side foot well. Look up.
2. Using the 10mm deep socket unbolt the two bolts holding on the DRL, FOG light and other stuff up there.
3. On the FOG LIGHT RELAY cut RED wire about 2 from connector.
4. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side.
5. Take a length of wire about 3 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
6. Plug the new wire into the RED wire you just cut with the male connector on it.
7. Label the free end of this wire as FOG LIGHT RELAY.
8. Find the DRL module. Again located in the drivers side foot well. Look up.
9. Unplug the 2 harnesses. You only need to modify the small harness with 7 wires in it.
10. Cut the YELLOW/GREEN wire about 2 from the connector.
11. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side.
12. Cut the BLUE/ORANGE wire about 2 from the connector.
13. Crimp a female butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a male butt connector on the harness side.
14. Plug wire YELLOW/GREEN into wire BLUE/ORANGE on the harness side.
15. Take another length of wire about 3 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
16. Plug the new wire into wire YELLOW/GREEN on the connector side.
17. Label free end of this wire as DRL OFF.
18. Run both wires up the wire harness and secure with tie wraps.
19. Remove the cover on the side of the dashboard to expose fog light switch.
20. Run the free wires along the harness and into the area of the foglight switch. Use tie wraps to secure.
21. Find a suitable location for the SPST switch. ( I used the empty switch plate)
22. Terminate the free wire labeled DRL OFF to one side of the switch.
23. Terminate another length of wire to the other side of the switch.
24. Label this new wire as GROUND.
25. Unplug the fog light switch harness.
26. Cut RED/WHITE wire about 2 from connector.
27. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side. (ignore my picture I put the connectors on the wrong side)
28. Take a length of wire about 1 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
29. Label the other end GROUND.
30. Connect the new wire to the connector side. Leave the other end free for now.
31. Splice the wire labeled FOG LIGHT RELAY into the LIGHT GREEN/BLACK wire.
32. Find a good ground location.
33. Take both free wires labeled GROUND and terminate them with a ring lug.34. Remove the bolt. Put the ring lug over the stud. Fasten the bolt back on.35. Double check all connections are solid.
36. Plug the harnesses back into the switches.

Well, I broke down and ordered a set of Catz 85 watt yellow driving lights. So, once they show up, and, I get my car back, I'll install em and get some comparison shots between the PIAA 2300K plasma Ion bulbs and the catz yellow driving lamps

To all you running the Catz 85 watt driving lamps, do you get flashed at all? Or do they have a pretty good cut-off?

Tylor

He sent me pics comparing the driving to fog. The driving appears to have some cutoff, just requires being aimed down further than the fog. Is anyone else running driving lights by Catz on the raod daily? Getting flashed at all??

Tylor

I dont get flashed and I run em daily. But, beware that they dont exactly "bolt right up". If you use stock mounting hardware they cannot be adjusted upward enough, they point down about 1 foot in front of the car. I had to make my own brackets so I could aim them up. I made em out of some thick pre-drilled metal stock, you can get it an any hardware store.

IM000705.jpg

The bracket bolts to the stock hole then the light bolts to the bracket. When you get under there you will see what I mean.

I dont get flashed and I run em daily. But, beware that they dont exactly "bolt right up". If you use stock mounting hardware they cannot be adjusted upward enough, they point down about 1 foot in front of the car. I had to make my own brackets so I could aim them up. I made em out of some thick pre-drilled metal stock, you can get it an any hardware store.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/beau_m/IM000705.jpg

The bracket bolts to the stock hole then the light bolts to the bracket. When you get under there you will see what I mean.

So, is that why our stock fogs suck? They're pointed straight down and not adjustable? I've brought em up as far as I can, but, that would explain why they still suck. Maybe I'll fab up a mount for the wife's while I do mine for the Catz so the PIAA bulbs aren't so useless in her car.

Tylor

Well, she didn't like how the yellow looked on either car, so, sold the Catz. Now I'm trying to find 85 watt with the clear lens. That or just put HID's in the fogs. I don't know

Tylor

If you scroll back to the first few pages, someone is running lights from J.C. Whitney that are amber.

I am now doing my own thing with projectors for the fogs. I'm going to be retrofitting some Tiburon foglight projectors into the stock pro5 housing w/o the glass and machining something that will fit whre the glass is with th e projector sticking through. Pics to come as i get underway

I am now doing my own thing with projectors for the fogs. I'm going to be retrofitting some Tiburon foglight projectors into the stock pro5 housing w/o the glass and machining something that will fit whre the glass is with th e projector sticking through. Pics to come as i get underway

Looks clean so far, cant wait to see some pics

Sorry, went with MSP lips, so, foglight projectors are pretty much off

If someone wants em, lemme know, they're available to finish up

So, i've got these now instead.

Picked em up from Walmart for $15. They are driving light pattern, so, won't be used at night with traffic, but, willl be used as a DRL for daylight time

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

Sorry, went with MSP lips, so, foglight projectors are pretty much off

If someone wants em, lemme know, they're available to finish up

So, i've got these now instead.

Picked em up from Walmart for $15. They are driving light pattern, so, won't be used at night with traffic, but, willl be used as a DRL for daylight time

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

Do you have the pics of the one you are selling?

Do you have the pics of the one you are selling?

Are you looking for the set pictured above i linked? I can get quite a few sets if you guys chose. They are at my local Walmart for $15.

Never went through with the final install on that setup, as i am running projector foglights on both cars now

Latest posts

Back