Aftermarket fog light discussion thread

I did that mod, it's worth it. Why would you want fogs that can only run with the lowbeams on?? Makes no sense to me.

i re-wired my fogs so that i can have them on when my parking lights are on, my low-beams are on, and my high beams.

whatever i did though i can't turn the fogs off. the switch is useless now.

whenever a park/low/high is on, the fogs are on.

I exchanged emails with the guy selling Catz lights on Ebay. Seems like a really nice fellow who's somewhat flexible in his pricing. He also sent me the attached writeup on installation in a P5 if anyone's interested.

Looks like a really nice product but they're a little small for my taste. I'm going rally style--PIAA 520s.

Attachments

• CatzInstallation.doc
    1.2 MB · Views: 612
Alright sorta offtopic but 1 of my fogs have a small hole in it from a rock or whatever but I was curious if sticking on some rockblocker film on it is a good idea or bad idea. The reason I ask is because if I stick it on, will the gases expand and create air bubbles?

JoshP5 said:
I exchanged emails with the guy selling Catz lights on Ebay. Seems like a really nice fellow who's somewhat flexible in his pricing. He also sent me the attached writeup on installation in a P5 if anyone's interested.

Looks like a really nice product but they're a little small for my taste. I'm going rally style--PIAA 520s.
Wow, great. What is this guy's ebay ID?

Slightly OT: Does anyone know if any aftermarket cap will fit onto the stock lamp? I'm fairly satisfied with the stock fogs, but I'd like the option of putting a cover on them when I feel like it.

I don't think anyone has ever asked that before. Well we know the diameter of the stock fogs, so I bet one could be found that fit.

I don't know, dude. I've seen a lot of fogs but none of them are 5-3/4"--Aftermarket fogs are always a little bigger or smaller.

Cellerator said:
Alright sorta offtopic but 1 of my fogs have a small hole in it from a rock or whatever but I was curious if sticking on some rockblocker film on it is a good idea or bad idea. The reason I ask is because if I stick it on, will the gases expand and create air bubbles?
Mine have 2 chips on 1 side & 1 on the other. I just used clear silicone to plug the hole for the time being so they don't fill with anything or pop the bulb. Light output unaffected. I will use them until dead before I put in the new unchipped set I got from the FS section with set of rockblockers waiting to go on them. Mine have been fine for quite a while with no problems. They get used all the time.

These are alright I guess. Not the best quality. Probably the cheapest you'll find at $33 from JCWhitney. The beam pattern is more of a driving light than fog, but I mainly did it for cosmetic reasons. They even mount up perfectly in the stock mounts. I would suggest you get some foglight film to protect them or any other foglight you buy to prevent damage in the future. I now have stocks back in which is my 5th set of fogs and decided to get the film, and let me tell you, the film works.

But remember, you get what you pay for.

My original thread back in 2003 w/ pics

JCWhitney

Last edited:
Just picked up a set of Catz SR from jcatz872 for $75 shipped! I can't wait to get them installed.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/

Part 73ZX6025T for amber they also have yellow ones but I do not know the part number, if you search by the part # it displays the default clear leans, but they are amber.

They fit fine with the P5 bracket but you will need to snip or tap in your wire because they are not traditonal h3 with a plug.

also trhey are 30 bucks not 40 like I stated before.

Hope this helps

Mr Magnum said:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/

Part 73ZX6025T for amber they also have yellow ones but I do not know the part number, if you search by the part # it displays the default clear leans, but they are amber.

They fit fine with the P5 bracket but you will need to snip or tap in your wire because they are not traditonal h3 with a plug.

also trhey are 30 bucks not 40 like I stated before.

Hope this helps
Thank you, I shall look into this as both of my fogs are cracked :(

Does anyone have any experience with melting wires/harnesses due to the use of a 85w or 100w set of fogs? It seems to me that this would be more common with a fog requiring greater power. I'm also assuming that these aftermarket fogs are pretty plug-and-play with the stock harness, enabling use of the foglight switch (if you haven't modded to make it ineffective). Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

Back