Aftermarket fog light discussion thread

JoshP5

Hold the butter
:
AccordSportMT
Let's face it, the stock P5/MSP/MP3 fogs are only decorative. They help define the look of our cars but in terms of performance, well, they suck. Here is a list of available replacements that offer improved performance and are about the same size as the stock lights.

Stock 5.75" 55w clear (becoming yellower every day), check f/s for $
PIAA 520 6.25" 85w "Ion Crystal" ~$180
Hella 500 6.375" 55w clear/amber ~$85
KC Slimlite 6.125" 100w clear ~$160
Bosch Pilot 160 6.3" 55w clear/yellow ~$160
CATZ SR 5.51" 55w/85w clear/yellow ~$100

Feel free to post any experience, opinions, photos, etc., relating to performance, fitment issues, aesthetics, whatever!

Last edited:
*subfrigginscribes*

:D

Do any of those actually fit that you know of? I know there's a yellow fog light t hat some people upgrade to (I think Catz brand) if they don't feel like spending $150 PER LIGHT for the stock stuff.

I have seen the PIAA 520s mounted in a P5--apparently they drop right in. Others *look* like the would fit, maybe no (or just minor) mods. Hopefully we'll get more specific info as this evolves...

Editing to include CATZ fogs.

Last edited:
the KC slimlights dont fit (pissed) i bought a set and they were too big for the hole

Damnit! Their black surround would look sick under blacked out P5 headlights. It's interesting they don't fit--they're smaller than the PIAAs. :(

the catz fogs fit with a minor adjustment. (the bracket has tabs for the stock fog lights, i just broke off the little tabs and it wnet right in) i am much happier with the catz.

I was thinking about getting a set of PIAA 540 series
They should fit but I'm wondering how much extra room you would have (boom08)
That, and I still have an extra pair of stock fogs I haven't broken yet

Great thread idea. When summer comes, I am going to look into some fogs.

I think that stock fogs can be used effectively as driving lights in overcast weather to save your headlights (assuming you have done the foglight mod).

when I replaced my cracked fog with some PIAA's (don't remember the model) the website said they would fit, but once the bumper was off, it was a whole new story. I had to cut the top of the cup in order to get the new lights to fit. I wish my low beams lasted as long as my fog lights.

I replaced my stock fogs with Catz, fitment was great and light output was even better. They were 85w not 55w. Now one of the catz is cracked so I'm removing the fogs and putting in the delete kit.

Attachments

• IMGP0594.JPG
    IMGP0594.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,452
  • IMGP2747.JPG
    IMGP2747.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,380
Here's a pic of Bijou-MP5's car with PIAA 40's, which are the same size as PIAA 520s.

Here's another pic.

Last edited:
Mr.Ames said:
I was thinking about getting a set of PIAA 540 series
They should fit but I'm wondering how much extra room you would have (boom08)

This guy photochopped some 540s into his MSP. Don't know if he got the scaling right, but they look a bit small--they're 5.125" diameter.

Hey Ames, any thoughts on how the Slimlites could be made to fit? Maybe fab a mount to extend them forward a little?

JoshP5 said:
This guy photochopped some 540s into his MSP. Don't know if he got the scaling right, but they look a bit small--they're 5.125" diameter.

Hey Ames, any thoughts on how the Slimlites could be made to fit? Maybe fab a mount to extend them forward a little?

I had a set of titanium slimlites and they were 1/8" too big to fit in the hole. They would stick out way too far if u tried to extend the mount. Plus that would kinda defeat the purpose of the SLIMlites. The stock fogs have an outside diameter of 6" with no room to spare. The only way I could think of getting them to fit was to cut the bumper, and I didn't wanna do that.

I wish OEMs weren't so expensive. I have one with a rock chip out of the glass, and would love to replace it for purely cosmetic reasons. Seems like all these aftermarket ones being discussed don't actually fit easily, or are just as expensive as stock.

installation piaa40 was not bad, but it is big light. it's not actually fog light, it is driving light.
I believe piaa520?? fits like stock.
right now, I have cats fog lights and they are bright.

Back